case 1830 No left hand drive

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dmhdaz

hi from Australia, i have a 1980 Case 1830 uniloader, with no drive on the left side, i got it cheap with the understanding that there is issues with it, the guy told me the drive motor needed a new seal and everything should be good.I thought id play round and investigate a little on my own to see if it was the drive motor or pump, after talking to a few people they suggested to cap the hoses that run to the drive motor, start up the machine, let pressure build up and use the left controller to move forward and back, and by doing this the machine would stall, meaning that the pumps working but not the motor. i tried this today and the machine never stalled just felt the same , does this mean the pump is stuffed and not the motor,the linkages seem ok, the right side works well and it lifts and tilts no problem,i dont have any testing equipment and at this stage i want to try and work on it myself before i call someone in, any help would be great.

Hotrod1830

Sounds like your on the right track. Yes, if you had the left hoses capped and tried to move the stick with engine running, the pump would have made some serious noise if it was working. Sounds like the drive pump is shot. They arent hard to rebuild. You will also need to tear into the right drive pump and inspect it for wear as well. Parts are still available. Case no longer can get parts for the drive pumps, so youll have to go aftermarket. Get a service manual.

OP
OP
D

dmhdaz

Sounds like your on the right track. Yes, if you had the left hoses capped and tried to move the stick with engine running, the pump would have made some serious noise if it was working. Sounds like the drive pump is shot. They arent hard to rebuild. You will also need to tear into the right drive pump and inspect it for wear as well. Parts are still available. Case no longer can get parts for the drive pumps, so youll have to go aftermarket. Get a service manual.
i played around with the hoses again today, dissconnected and capped the right side motor and run the hoses from right pump to left hand motor and it worked great, so now i know its the left hand pump and not the motor. Anybody know what is a common issue with these pumps, and what area of the pump would be the most common part for failure. Has anyone rebuilt a left hand pump, any pics?

Tazza

Staff member
i played around with the hoses again today, dissconnected and capped the right side motor and run the hoses from right pump to left hand motor and it worked great, so now i know its the left hand pump and not the motor. Anybody know what is a common issue with these pumps, and what area of the pump would be the most common part for failure. Has anyone rebuilt a left hand pump, any pics?
You will need to pull it out an strip it down. It could be a relief, but generally that will cause issues in one direction only. The other issue can be worn wear plates that prevent it building up pressure.
As least you know its the pump and not motor.

OP
OP
D

dmhdaz

You will need to pull it out an strip it down. It could be a relief, but generally that will cause issues in one direction only. The other issue can be worn wear plates that prevent it building up pressure.
As least you know its the pump and not motor.
is it possible that it could be the charge pump, if that was stuffed would it stop the right pump as well.

OP
OP
D

dmhdaz

is it possible that it could be the charge pump, if that was stuffed would it stop the right pump as well.
ok i pulled the pump apart today and found that the rotating group and swash plate were totally destroyed, and reason for this, lack of oil maybe? i'll post a post if i can work out how.

OP
OP
D

dmhdaz

ok i pulled the pump apart today and found that the rotating group and swash plate were totally destroyed, and reason for this, lack of oil maybe? i'll post a post if i can work out how.
Some pics of the damaged pump
Swash Plate
 photo IMG_2690_zpsfb5e8bc7.jpg

Rotating Group
 photo IMG_2689_zpsabdafd56.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
Some pics of the damaged pump
Swash Plate

Rotating Group
Good lord!!!!
I'm not sure lack of lubrication was the cause, but it is possible.
From what i understand, if the revs aren't high enough and the charge pressure is low, it allows the shoes on the rotating group to lift off the swash plate and hammer back down as they get load on them. This will belt the crap out of the shoes of the rotating groups and pit the swash plate from the impacts. The thing is, when they do this, you can feel it in the steering levers and it's quite violent, it's a shame the previous owner didn't stop and investigate the issue....
Hopefully you can get new rotating groups and swash plates at a good price. Make sure you pull both pumps just in case it got contaminated too.

OP
OP
D

dmhdaz

Good lord!!!!
I'm not sure lack of lubrication was the cause, but it is possible.
From what i understand, if the revs aren't high enough and the charge pressure is low, it allows the shoes on the rotating group to lift off the swash plate and hammer back down as they get load on them. This will belt the crap out of the shoes of the rotating groups and pit the swash plate from the impacts. The thing is, when they do this, you can feel it in the steering levers and it's quite violent, it's a shame the previous owner didn't stop and investigate the issue....
Hopefully you can get new rotating groups and swash plates at a good price. Make sure you pull both pumps just in case it got contaminated too.
hi Tazza, i agree about the previous owner, a little investigation and a pump could have saved.Something as bad as this just doesnt happen it would have been felt over time. I pulled down the right pump and everything looks good, no trace of metal fragments and rotating group looks fine. Here in Australia parts are hard to come across and are very expensive, so i am sourcing a rotating group and swash plate from the U.S.

Tazza

Staff member
hi Tazza, i agree about the previous owner, a little investigation and a pump could have saved.Something as bad as this just doesnt happen it would have been felt over time. I pulled down the right pump and everything looks good, no trace of metal fragments and rotating group looks fine. Here in Australia parts are hard to come across and are very expensive, so i am sourcing a rotating group and swash plate from the U.S.
Glad the other side is in good shape.
Yeah, prices over here are not pretty at all. I have gotten a fair bit off loader parts source in the USA, they may be able to help you out too. Freight from there to here isn't too nasty, shame the exchange rate isn't as good as it was about a month ago.
The only issue may be the swash plate. It's not a common part to go. You may have to talk to a machine shop to get it welded up and ground if you can't source one.

OP
OP
D

dmhdaz

Glad the other side is in good shape.
Yeah, prices over here are not pretty at all. I have gotten a fair bit off loader parts source in the USA, they may be able to help you out too. Freight from there to here isn't too nasty, shame the exchange rate isn't as good as it was about a month ago.
The only issue may be the swash plate. It's not a common part to go. You may have to talk to a machine shop to get it welded up and ground if you can't source one.
I can get the swash plate from Loader parts, but they want $210 to ship to Australia, they dont have the rotating group for sale as a single item, so a bit more hunting around.

Tazza

Staff member
I can get the swash plate from Loader parts, but they want $210 to ship to Australia, they dont have the rotating group for sale as a single item, so a bit more hunting around.
I hope that price is shipped, if that is just the freight, that is unpleasant.....
Are there any details on the pump to tell you what brand it is? I'd doubt it would be their own brand parts, it should be a generic pump that parts can be bought from somewhere other than the dealer.
Parts for a 763 i have, the dealer wanted 2,400 +gst for each rotating group. I got two rotating groups and a seal kit for under 1k shipped a few years back now.

OP
OP
D

dmhdaz

I hope that price is shipped, if that is just the freight, that is unpleasant.....
Are there any details on the pump to tell you what brand it is? I'd doubt it would be their own brand parts, it should be a generic pump that parts can be bought from somewhere other than the dealer.
Parts for a 763 i have, the dealer wanted 2,400 +gst for each rotating group. I got two rotating groups and a seal kit for under 1k shipped a few years back now.
no mate, that is just the shipping cost, swash plate is $250(USD)but it is genuine not aftermarket. The pump has 70142-RAH stamped on it, after contacting several places there seem to be 2 part numbers for the rotating group. One has steel slipper shoes and the other brass slipper shoes, but depends who i talk to im told this is the part for my pump, but which part is correct.Look at the pic and i can see the rotating group had steel slippers.Here in melbourne,theres a place that has the rotating group but wants $1200 + GST.i think the updated version of the pump has the brass slippers and a different swash plate.Taz where did u get your parts from.

Tazza

Staff member
no mate, that is just the shipping cost, swash plate is $250(USD)but it is genuine not aftermarket. The pump has 70142-RAH stamped on it, after contacting several places there seem to be 2 part numbers for the rotating group. One has steel slipper shoes and the other brass slipper shoes, but depends who i talk to im told this is the part for my pump, but which part is correct.Look at the pic and i can see the rotating group had steel slippers.Here in melbourne,theres a place that has the rotating group but wants $1200 + GST.i think the updated version of the pump has the brass slippers and a different swash plate.Taz where did u get your parts from.
The price on shipping seems far too high. I'd have thought it would fit in a USPS flat rate box for a lot less than that...
I have bought off Levi at Loader parts source a few times, he is the man to talk to, he knows his stuff backwards. Another place i have dealt with is Metro fluid power: http://pumps-motors-valves.com/ great prices, but i don't believe they know all the different brands like LPS does. If you can tell them the exact part and brand, they are great. I deal with Steve Smith, he is very helpful.
Your price seems a lot better than Bobcat quoted me, its still hard to drop that much cash when you know it should be less than half that.

OP
OP
D

dmhdaz

The price on shipping seems far too high. I'd have thought it would fit in a USPS flat rate box for a lot less than that...
I have bought off Levi at Loader parts source a few times, he is the man to talk to, he knows his stuff backwards. Another place i have dealt with is Metro fluid power: http://pumps-motors-valves.com/ great prices, but i don't believe they know all the different brands like LPS does. If you can tell them the exact part and brand, they are great. I deal with Steve Smith, he is very helpful.
Your price seems a lot better than Bobcat quoted me, its still hard to drop that much cash when you know it should be less than half that.
im dealing with loader parts source to get the swash plate, im trying to get the shipping price reduced, it does seem high for a 2kg part. Case USA want $933 for the swash plate, someones making money, lol. Best price i have on the rotating group is $600 USD and 250 to ship.

Hotrod1830

im dealing with loader parts source to get the swash plate, im trying to get the shipping price reduced, it does seem high for a 2kg part. Case USA want $933 for the swash plate, someones making money, lol. Best price i have on the rotating group is $600 USD and 250 to ship.
I got all my part thru Central Hydraulics, El Paso Ill. 1-309-527-5238
A couple years ago I paid a little over $700 for a rotating group and swash plate. Prices may have changed though, but I doubt that much. Give them a call.

Hotrod1830

I got all my part thru Central Hydraulics, El Paso Ill. 1-309-527-5238
A couple years ago I paid a little over $700 for a rotating group and swash plate. Prices may have changed though, but I doubt that much. Give them a call.
Also, I understand trying to help someone trying to help you, but getting it all in one box will help with shipping.