care and feeding of LS170

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

h-m

Hello all, new owner of 2002 LS170. moved from bobcat gas skid steer to this NH. i sure really like the turbo diesel motor and heated cab. seems to have good power and sure is stable compared to bobcat. only slightly longer and wider but sure is stable. ok, for you NH guys, i have the turbo diesel and read the operators manuel so when i start it up here ND (very cold right now) i crack the throttle (1100 rpm or less) and cycle glow plugs one or twice and she cracks right off, but i don't want to hurt the turbo in this cold weather, anything i should be watching for on this shibuhuro (spelling?) diesel motor and or this model and age of skid steer? she sure seems to be in ok condition. my expansion tank has a leak at the hose fitting so i am going to get a new one of these at my local dealer tomorrow. otherwise anything else i should watch for or check? thank you very much all. micheal

jerry

With my 665 I use 5w 40 synthetic oil just for the quick oil flow to the turbo in cold weather, it costs a little more but those engines are very expensive to repair, the other day I started it at 15 below with no engine heater plugged in and it went fine.

OP
OP
h-m

h-m

With my 665 I use 5w 40 synthetic oil just for the quick oil flow to the turbo in cold weather, it costs a little more but those engines are very expensive to repair, the other day I started it at 15 below with no engine heater plugged in and it went fine.
ahhh yes, ok 5w-40 would be like the syn diesel oil then correct? do you change that out then when it warms up in the spring to decent temps? do you run this same oil in your hydraulic system too then? or do you stay with the 10w-30 motor oil in the hydraulics? great. thanks for the reply. i have been careful with that turbo, i barely crack the throttle when i fire it up on these frigid days (we are getting -20 F right now) like the book says, to hopefully get some oil up to the turbo - i do sure like having that turbo on there, pushing this crap snow / ice that we have right now. hydraulics are a good bit quicker than my 742B bobcat also, course i have a good bit more flow than the bobcat did. thanks

jerry

ahhh yes, ok 5w-40 would be like the syn diesel oil then correct? do you change that out then when it warms up in the spring to decent temps? do you run this same oil in your hydraulic system too then? or do you stay with the 10w-30 motor oil in the hydraulics? great. thanks for the reply. i have been careful with that turbo, i barely crack the throttle when i fire it up on these frigid days (we are getting -20 F right now) like the book says, to hopefully get some oil up to the turbo - i do sure like having that turbo on there, pushing this crap snow / ice that we have right now. hydraulics are a good bit quicker than my 742B bobcat also, course i have a good bit more flow than the bobcat did. thanks
Yes, it is the t6 rotella oil , and leave it in year around. There always is some debate as to whether synthetic has any advantage however I have used it in most machines here for many years and like it. I just have cheap 10-30 in the hydraulic system. If you have biodiesel fuel though look in the manual , mine recommends #1 fuel in cold weather. Mine will gel with Minnesota #2 fuel but with 50/50 1 and 2 and some fuel treatment it is ok.

OP
OP
h-m

h-m

Yes, it is the t6 rotella oil , and leave it in year around. There always is some debate as to whether synthetic has any advantage however I have used it in most machines here for many years and like it. I just have cheap 10-30 in the hydraulic system. If you have biodiesel fuel though look in the manual , mine recommends #1 fuel in cold weather. Mine will gel with Minnesota #2 fuel but with 50/50 1 and 2 and some fuel treatment it is ok.
thanks Jerry, i have only put about 15 gal of fuel in so far, i have been buying from cenex up here and it is #1 right now, i don't know if it is bio or not, i here nasty things about that bio diesel. i would hope the cenex stuff is good up here, all our neighbors pretty much use cenex in there bulk tanks on there farms, but i still don't know if it is bio or not. i have been putting howse diesel treatment in too, i will have to ponder that t6 rotella, it seems to be a little easier to get up here than the t4 10w-30. thanks very much Jerry i appreciate your help. micheal