LS170 will not start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Broken down

Ls170 with 465 hours on it will not start. I have changed the fuel pump, all air filters and fuel filters. Engine cranks over just fine but still will not start. Checked all fuses and all wiring and everything seems to be OK. Would definitely appreciate and help. Thanks

Shanmar

Do you know that there is power being delivered to the electric fuel solenoid? I've had electrical issues where the electronics would let it crank but not power the solenoid. Could test for voltage or hot wire to the solenoid to find out.

OP
OP
B

Broken down

Thank you for your reply Shanmar. I checked for power at the solenoid and yes there is power. I even removed the solenoid and checked it across a battery and it works fine. Rechecked all of the fuses inside cab and in engine compartment and they are all good. I am at a loss for what to do next. Any ideas?

brdgbldr

Thank you for your reply Shanmar. I checked for power at the solenoid and yes there is power. I even removed the solenoid and checked it across a battery and it works fine. Rechecked all of the fuses inside cab and in engine compartment and they are all good. I am at a loss for what to do next. Any ideas?

If there is any air in the fuel line, diesels won't start.

If this problem started before you threw parts at it, check your fuel lines for any cracks or splits. This includes the fuel intake line in the fuel tank (these sometimes break off in the tank).

If this problem started after you changed parts then air is most likely the problem.

Not sure if you have a way to see if the fuel is actually flowing or not. Could be the fuel intake has a screen on it that is clogged. Sometimes you can blow air through the fuel line back into the tank to unclog it. If this were the case you can sometimes tell this by looking at the primer ball, if your machine has one, while someone cranks the engine. The primer ball will sometimes collapse if there is a clog.

Just a few ideas.

OP
OP
B

Broken down

Thank you for your input brdgbldr regarding my problem with my LS170. After 5 days of continuously troubleshooting I finally found the problem. It was an intermittent microswitch in the female side of the seatbelt. Who would have thought? Went to salvage yard and purchased another from a pickup truck and it works just fine. $10.00

brdgbldr

Thank you for your input brdgbldr regarding my problem with my LS170. After 5 days of continuously troubleshooting I finally found the problem. It was an intermittent microswitch in the female side of the seatbelt. Who would have thought? Went to salvage yard and purchased another from a pickup truck and it works just fine. $10.00
Glad to hear you figured it out.

How did you figure this out? Jiggled the seat belt?

All of these damn electronic "safety" features. It use to be that you could get the symptoms and nine out of ten times a mechanic would know the exact problem. Now some little do-dad goes out and it causes all sorts of weird problems.