BOSS question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jinxie

I was reading the manual and had a question about the BOSS system. Its about the coolant temp system. If my coolant gauge only reads 1 bar when it is warm, how do i know when it is running too hot? Does the BOSS system read off the same sensor or does it read off another sensor and will give me a warning regardless of what the gauge says. I plan on fixing the temp sensor for the gauge.....but just kind of curios. Thanks

skidsteer.ca

There is only one sender, the boss and the guage are one in the same. It will beep at you at 230 f and shutdown at @ 235f.
Try covering you entire rad with cardboard and idle the machine for 5 to 8 minutes, if the guage is working you should start to see the bars on the temp guage lighting up. Remove the cardboard before getting to hot. Mine may have been the exception instead of the rule, it sucks that there is no way to see if the engine is warming up in a cold climate, other then I had a heater which gave me a good idea.
Hope this helps
This is how the bars on my 1993 753 temp guage used to behave.
Normal was only the bottom light on that comes on even when its cold. if I worked it hard on a 80 degree summer day, I would get the second bar from the bottom on.
I had the bobcat test box on loan rom the dealer and this is what it said as the lights progessively came on

Water temp Guage​

1 Bar​

cold to190degrees​

2 Bar​

190 to 198​

3 Bar​

198 to 204​

4 Bar​

204 to 210​

5 Bar​

210 to 217​

6 Bar​

217 to 224​

7 Bar​

224 to 231​

8 Bar​

230 on up warning sounds​

235 engine shutdown​
Regards
Ken

OP
OP
J

jinxie

There is only one sender, the boss and the guage are one in the same. It will beep at you at 230 f and shutdown at @ 235f.
Try covering you entire rad with cardboard and idle the machine for 5 to 8 minutes, if the guage is working you should start to see the bars on the temp guage lighting up. Remove the cardboard before getting to hot. Mine may have been the exception instead of the rule, it sucks that there is no way to see if the engine is warming up in a cold climate, other then I had a heater which gave me a good idea.
Hope this helps
This is how the bars on my 1993 753 temp guage used to behave.
Normal was only the bottom light on that comes on even when its cold. if I worked it hard on a 80 degree summer day, I would get the second bar from the bottom on.
I had the bobcat test box on loan rom the dealer and this is what it said as the lights progessively came on

Water temp Guage

1 Bar

cold to190degrees

2 Bar

190 to 198

3 Bar

198 to 204

4 Bar

204 to 210

5 Bar

210 to 217

6 Bar

217 to 224

7 Bar

224 to 231

8 Bar

230 on up warning sounds

235 engine shutdown

Regards
Ken
Oh wow, good info! I very much doubt the engine is getting past 170-180. I can just touch the hoses for a second then its too hot! However, judging by the heater output, it didnt even seem like the engine would have been that hot. From what i have read, these engines dont want to see the heat because they crack the heads. 235 seems hot already. I guess there are no adjustable parameters to lower the shutdown temps?

Fishfiles

Oh wow, good info! I very much doubt the engine is getting past 170-180. I can just touch the hoses for a second then its too hot! However, judging by the heater output, it didnt even seem like the engine would have been that hot. From what i have read, these engines dont want to see the heat because they crack the heads. 235 seems hot already. I guess there are no adjustable parameters to lower the shutdown temps?
Skidsteer Ken , I persume the box you borrowed is the Boss computor , would you are any one else be interested in buying one cheap , I have the Boss box , the printer that goes with it and a few of the cartriges , it cost about $1,000 back when , say $200 plus shipping , I have not used it in a a while and getting tired of moving it around , maybe someone else could get some use out of it [email protected]

skidsteer.ca

I would have thought warning and shutdown @15 degrees sooner, I can't say that that how it is on 20 different loaders, but thats what I found.
Could you borrow a infared heat test gun from someone? they are very handy for testing these problem. Most every garage has them and many home garages too. Maybe trailer your machine there and borrow it??
We always figured about 150 is the hottest you can touch for a 2 to 3 seconds.
You need at least 180 if you want heat imo.
The cracked heads on these engines is mostly do to poor maintenance or coolant loss. These machines end up working in dirty environments that plug rad air flow and they get cooked if the operator in not paying attention. Thinks that why the boss came out, for these situation.
You could also put in a common auto 2" guage and unhook the boss sender until you get it sorted out. Note you glow plugs will cycle , max time, every start if you unhook the sender, so you may want to pull the glowplug relaymto prvent burnout.
Ken

skidsteer.ca

I would have thought warning and shutdown @15 degrees sooner, I can't say that that how it is on 20 different loaders, but thats what I found.
Could you borrow a infared heat test gun from someone? they are very handy for testing these problem. Most every garage has them and many home garages too. Maybe trailer your machine there and borrow it??
We always figured about 150 is the hottest you can touch for a 2 to 3 seconds.
You need at least 180 if you want heat imo.
The cracked heads on these engines is mostly do to poor maintenance or coolant loss. These machines end up working in dirty environments that plug rad air flow and they get cooked if the operator in not paying attention. Thinks that why the boss came out, for these situation.
You could also put in a common auto 2" guage and unhook the boss sender until you get it sorted out. Note you glow plugs will cycle , max time, every start if you unhook the sender, so you may want to pull the glowplug relaymto prvent burnout.
Ken
Fishfiles, I'll keep it in mind, I don't have any boss loader anymore, this won't work with the G series, you need a laptop for them?
(I'd like to get the software for them)
I'm sure someone on here will want it soon enough though.
Ken

Fishfiles

Fishfiles, I'll keep it in mind, I don't have any boss loader anymore, this won't work with the G series, you need a laptop for them?
(I'd like to get the software for them)
I'm sure someone on here will want it soon enough though.
Ken
I see very few older machines here any more , Katrina wiped out the majority of the older fleet --------I tried to buy the software for the new style machines and the dealer says they can' t sell it to the public , also told me that every month or so the disc are replaced by Bobcat and the old disc become obsolete , I have seen diagnostic print outs from the service manuel disc which are extremly detailed and helpful in troubleshotting problems , and on the bottom of the pages it states some like this " Not to be view by none other than Bobcat service Techs . no public distribution" , that is one thing you have to say for Bobcat , they have never been much help to the public at the factory level , maybe with the change of Ownership things will be different

kelly_b

I see very few older machines here any more , Katrina wiped out the majority of the older fleet --------I tried to buy the software for the new style machines and the dealer says they can' t sell it to the public , also told me that every month or so the disc are replaced by Bobcat and the old disc become obsolete , I have seen diagnostic print outs from the service manuel disc which are extremly detailed and helpful in troubleshotting problems , and on the bottom of the pages it states some like this " Not to be view by none other than Bobcat service Techs . no public distribution" , that is one thing you have to say for Bobcat , they have never been much help to the public at the factory level , maybe with the change of Ownership things will be different
^^^ Hmmm ... you learn something new everyday. Thanks Fishfiles!

Latest posts