Bobcat track tension tool

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1964Raptor

My Bobcat is in town but I can't pick it up for another week.. :-( I have a couple questions. Does a new loader come with a track tension tool and if not where can I buy one? Thank you....

lesgawlik

Not sure of the model but a T250 and 300 use a grease gun to tighten the tracks.
I think the only tool is the Mk. I eyeball. Bobcat has a procedure for checking the track tension, which involves jacking the track up and measuring the sag. The tension tube is then extending by pumping grease into the fitting, or retracted by loosening the fitting and allowing grease to exit. I think they do it that way because if the track is on uneven ground, it may make the track appear to be under greater tension than it is. If the track is off the ground, the unevenness of the ground cannot factor in. I don't know of anyone who actually does it that way. Look at the top of the track, and see how much it sags. If it sags more than an inch across the run from drive sprocket to idler, give it a few strokes. You'll see it pick right up. If you don't, when you go to make a turn a get a little resistance, the track will pop off. That happens usually in the most inconvenient times and locations.

Bobcatdan

I think the only tool is the Mk. I eyeball. Bobcat has a procedure for checking the track tension, which involves jacking the track up and measuring the sag. The tension tube is then extending by pumping grease into the fitting, or retracted by loosening the fitting and allowing grease to exit. I think they do it that way because if the track is on uneven ground, it may make the track appear to be under greater tension than it is. If the track is off the ground, the unevenness of the ground cannot factor in. I don't know of anyone who actually does it that way. Look at the top of the track, and see how much it sags. If it sags more than an inch across the run from drive sprocket to idler, give it a few strokes. You'll see it pick right up. If you don't, when you go to make a turn a get a little resistance, the track will pop off. That happens usually in the most inconvenient times and locations.
Pick up the front end with the bucket, check for about a finger width gap at the second to last roller. Add grease as needed.

OP
OP
1964Raptor

1964Raptor

Pick up the front end with the bucket, check for about a finger width gap at the second to last roller. Add grease as needed.
Sorry, The loader is a T650 and the 'tool' I am looking for is used to release the grease, therefore relieving the pressure that is lengthening the track. I saw it in a Bobcat promo video about track adjustment. Thank you

lesgawlik

Sorry, The loader is a T650 and the 'tool' I am looking for is used to release the grease, therefore relieving the pressure that is lengthening the track. I saw it in a Bobcat promo video about track adjustment. Thank you
On my T-200 I just use a wrench and a paper cup. If you do it in the garage, be prepared for a lot of grease squirting out.

lesgawlik

Cool thanks..
That being said, the grease in the extension tubes is like air in your car tires -- there's no way to get too much unless you put it in there. The natural course of things is for the tracks to go slack. You do not want the tracks to get too slack, or they will jump off the sprockets. I've had it happen a few times, and it seems to occur in the worst possible places. That's when you have to release the grease to allow the front idlers to move backwards, and get enough slack to work the tracks back into place.

7LBSSMALLIE

That being said, the grease in the extension tubes is like air in your car tires -- there's no way to get too much unless you put it in there. The natural course of things is for the tracks to go slack. You do not want the tracks to get too slack, or they will jump off the sprockets. I've had it happen a few times, and it seems to occur in the worst possible places. That's when you have to release the grease to allow the front idlers to move backwards, and get enough slack to work the tracks back into place.
that grease can be under a lot of pressure hence the warning decals SAFTEY FIRST BOYS.

TimberBen

that grease can be under a lot of pressure hence the warning decals SAFTEY FIRST BOYS.
When I changed out a roller on my T200 I used a deep socket to relieve the track tension. Put a rag under it to catch the grease. Really wasn't that tough, filled my socket up with grease tho.