Broken T250 track tensioner spring

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Acreage T250

I got the T250 through my brother in law and got his crew to install a set of new tracks for $1300 Cdn. ea. When I received the unit , I noticed the left track seemed to be pointing outward but didn't give it much thought until the hydraulic pump seal went.

I'm in the process of pulling the motor and pump and decided to pull the new tracks off to get at the front engine mounts. I noticed the left track had some excessive clearance to the rollers, then noticed the grease tension cylinder had some grease leaking so purchased a seal kit.

After I got the tension assembly out, I was disappointed to see the spring cracked in a few locations, which explained the misaligned tracked and difficultly get the assembly out.

I know the spring assembly is technically not serviceable due to the 14000 spring tension, but has anyone had success getting a spring shop to make and install one?

Attachments

• IMG_8054.JPG
    IMG_8054.JPG
    491 KB · Views: 118

foton

I have not done this but if you think about it a 20 ton shop could compress that spring and as shop presses go that is not that big of one. but be carefull use good arbor plates.

OP
OP
A

Acreage T250

I have not done this but if you think about it a 20 ton shop could compress that spring and as shop presses go that is not that big of one. but be carefull use good arbor plates.
I did manage to remove the spring using my 12 ton press. I have a local spring shop able to make a new spring for about $450 Cdn. The old spring is broken in 4 spots. Spring shops want the spring free length, which I determined to be about 15-7/8" long

Attachments

• IMG_8064.JPG
    IMG_8064.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
A

Acreage T250

just a follow up on the broken spring. It took 5 weeks to get them made locally and I ordered a spare as the unit price was cheaper. I painted them myself as they wanted $200 ea. to powder coat and I had planned to paint the rest of the assembly. I used part part epoxy and a local paint suppler (www.endurapaint.com) had a color code for "Bobcat charcoal grey" which seemed to be a little darker but their 2 part polyurethane is durable.

I welded up the wear lines on the plate that mates with the idle pulley to take up the minor slack (over kill, I know). I replaced the seal on both tensioner units. The broken spring assembly had a grease leak on its cylinder tube, which I noted that the o ring was not on the high pressure side like the other side was. Someone had previously installed the o ring and the backer ring incorrectly. I hope that was why it was not keeping tension on the one track.

After placing the replacement spring along side the original spring, I noticed the unbroken spring shaft was not flush with the end plate and decided to disassemble. One of the 3/4" retaining pins was broke in half and other was rust welded solid and I had to drill it out with a 3/4" drill...all 4" of it. The inside shaft was damaged , hence the uneven look on the end plate. I needed to weld both sides of the inner shaft then mill both ends.

Note the OEM spring is left hand wound, but my replacement are RH wound, but it makes no difference. I used duct tape to protect the hard chrome during assembly in the press, then coated it with silver never seize after assembly for basic rust protection.

I used 4140 HT as replacement for the retaining pins for both units, 4" long

I also bought OEM bleeder and grease fittings, noted as high pressure , special Bobcat fittings in the manual. The ones I replaced looked like basic generic grease fittings.

I hope these spring units last me a while.

Attachments

• IMG_8215.jpg
    IMG_8215.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8206.JPG
    IMG_8206.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8203.jpg
    IMG_8203.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8197.jpg
    IMG_8197.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8194.jpg
    IMG_8194.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8190.jpg
    IMG_8190.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8179.JPG
    IMG_8179.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_8178.jpg
    IMG_8178.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8177.jpg
    IMG_8177.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8216.jpg
    IMG_8216.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 103

haymaker

The only thing I miss about being retired is access to all the machines at the shop. I was I 40 year tool and die maker at a heavy stamping and fabricating shop near Chicago.

koko

You did a very good job on that. I personally would have told the company that wanted to charge me $450 bucks /spring to Get Stuffed and would have manufactured rubber replacements.

OP
OP
A

Acreage T250

You did a very good job on that. I personally would have told the company that wanted to charge me $450 bucks /spring to Get Stuffed and would have manufactured rubber replacements.
I received two quotes and used the lesser to bargain and price match the other which saved shipping costs as they were in town Still cheaper than $1700 Cdn ea. from Bobcat which has no stock and got me operational

WashingtonT200

Question, would you mind sharing the company who created your new springs? I have a T200 with a cracked spring and am not shelling out 1500 to bobcat for a replacement when everything else on the tensioner is fine. Or are you getting rid of your spare old spring?

OP
OP
A

Acreage T250

Question, would you mind sharing the company who created your new springs? I have a T200 with a cracked spring and am not shelling out 1500 to bobcat for a replacement when everything else on the tensioner is fine. Or are you getting rid of your spare old spring?
I'm in Canada, but would think there is way more section in the US. Start with a place that deals with large truck suspensions and they either make or know of a place that can make them.

I got my initial quote here https://www.dendoff.com/, they were cheaper but shipping costs made the cost higher.

I ended getting them made here https://victoryspring.ca/ as they were local to me and I used the other quote to get a better price.

Note the springs are 50 lbs ea. The unit cost was cheaper getting two made because you pay setup costs like most things in life. I ended up using the 2nd spring once I discovered the spring retaining assembly on the other "good spring" needed repair

Good time to replace the seals while you are in there.