bobcat no longer using kubota?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

[email protected]

i heard bobcat and kubota had a falling out, and they aren't using their engines anymore. any truth to this? they've had such a long relationship

frogfarmer

This isnt new information unless something has changed. Bobcat has had a long running agreement with Kubota to use them exclusively but as we all know they have used other engines over the years. I feel if they go to another brand of engine they are likely losing quality and I would be hesitant to buy a Bobcat with a chinese diesel. Time will tell what really happens but yes there is a problem between the two at this point.

Fishfiles

This isnt new information unless something has changed. Bobcat has had a long running agreement with Kubota to use them exclusively but as we all know they have used other engines over the years. I feel if they go to another brand of engine they are likely losing quality and I would be hesitant to buy a Bobcat with a chinese diesel. Time will tell what really happens but yes there is a problem between the two at this point.
it is a very long story and confusing story , you know Bobcat got bought out a few years back by Dousan , Dousan builds their own engines so in all fairness to them " why would they use some one elses engine in their machines , and Kobuta makes their own line of tracked loaders now which is a conflict of interest , but there is a lot more to it than that , Dousan engines pass the Tier 4 emission with out the use of the DEF fluid which Bobcat requires on the larger horse power engines ,there is a lot less parts on a Dousan engine than a comparable Kubota , it also is suppose to be a much cleaner motor , I went to a hands on operator demo they had at my local dealer beginning of this year , they had 6 excavators , 2 of each size , 3 had the Kubota and the other 3 had the Dousan , they wanted everyone that showed up to run all 6 machines and compare speed, power and multi-functioning of the machines and fill out a questioner on likes and dislikes , I gave the new engines good remarks on all the topics , for my time I got Pizza , drinks and a $100 Visa gift card , learned a few things SWEEEEEEET! --------- one thing I recently learn that isn't good for all the people buying into the new engine Bobcats is that the motors are disposable from what I have gathered , they are built to give 3,000 hours of use , there are no parts to buy to do a rebuild as the tolerances are very tight and it takes a factory setting to reproduce them , a crate motor for $22,000 is your only choice , if you own a pre-tier 4 engine and it goes out and you go to the dealer for an engine , you will be required to upgrade your machine to the newer tier 4 requirements , the new engines are very computer orientated as the injectors are serial numbered and you can't change one without putting the serial number of the part into the controller via a lap top with software , much like the outboard motor manufactures have been doing for some years now , the days of working on the engines is near the end , also seeing that Federal money jobs , some municipalities are requiring that machines use on their jobs meet the tier 4 requirements or can't be on the job , the days of the small guy is coming to an end

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

it is a very long story and confusing story , you know Bobcat got bought out a few years back by Dousan , Dousan builds their own engines so in all fairness to them " why would they use some one elses engine in their machines , and Kobuta makes their own line of tracked loaders now which is a conflict of interest , but there is a lot more to it than that , Dousan engines pass the Tier 4 emission with out the use of the DEF fluid which Bobcat requires on the larger horse power engines ,there is a lot less parts on a Dousan engine than a comparable Kubota , it also is suppose to be a much cleaner motor , I went to a hands on operator demo they had at my local dealer beginning of this year , they had 6 excavators , 2 of each size , 3 had the Kubota and the other 3 had the Dousan , they wanted everyone that showed up to run all 6 machines and compare speed, power and multi-functioning of the machines and fill out a questioner on likes and dislikes , I gave the new engines good remarks on all the topics , for my time I got Pizza , drinks and a $100 Visa gift card , learned a few things SWEEEEEEET! --------- one thing I recently learn that isn't good for all the people buying into the new engine Bobcats is that the motors are disposable from what I have gathered , they are built to give 3,000 hours of use , there are no parts to buy to do a rebuild as the tolerances are very tight and it takes a factory setting to reproduce them , a crate motor for $22,000 is your only choice , if you own a pre-tier 4 engine and it goes out and you go to the dealer for an engine , you will be required to upgrade your machine to the newer tier 4 requirements , the new engines are very computer orientated as the injectors are serial numbered and you can't change one without putting the serial number of the part into the controller via a lap top with software , much like the outboard motor manufactures have been doing for some years now , the days of working on the engines is near the end , also seeing that Federal money jobs , some municipalities are requiring that machines use on their jobs meet the tier 4 requirements or can't be on the job , the days of the small guy is coming to an end
i just bought brand new f350 diesel dump, the thing is ridiculously nice. the engine is fantastic and you have to put in the DEF. i don't mind, it's cheap and the truck doesnt smell. however it's so complicated you can't work on it. i like my 643. nice and simple.

reaperman

Sucks to see what all of this so called "clean burning technology" is doing. These restrictions are chocking down diesel pickups to the point of getting meaningless MPG's. A friend of mine picked up a 2014 chevy diesel. $55,000. A whopping 13 mpgs. What a joke, now 20 grand skidloader engines you cant work on? I hate to see whats next.

Fishfiles

Sucks to see what all of this so called "clean burning technology" is doing. These restrictions are chocking down diesel pickups to the point of getting meaningless MPG's. A friend of mine picked up a 2014 chevy diesel. $55,000. A whopping 13 mpgs. What a joke, now 20 grand skidloader engines you cant work on? I hate to see whats next.
Tom , you made me think of a few things I forgot in my rant , the Bobcats that burn DEF have DPF ( diesel particle filter ) which needs to have the filter scrubber every so often , this is expensive and will cause you lost of time while it sits in the shop --------- your F350 has the same thing , another term for it is soot burner , it is that catalytic convert looking piece in your exhaust , once you code up that it is full , it requires you bring it in to the dealer and have it cleaned out if you don't it will go into a limp mode , one way to clean it is to remove it from the truck and bake it in a special over to extreme heat ----------- which brings me to my truck a 2008 Dodge 4500 6.7 Cummins , I wanted a new truck in 2010 as I had a 2006 Ford 350 superduty that was killing me on fuel by getting 8mpg and always in the shop with the cab off ( only way to work on the engine ) , in the 5 years I had that truck it was at Ford at least 6 moths total time , I was feed up to the point I wanted a new truck but I didn't want any of the new 2011 or 2012 engines , almost went with the Duramax which was my second pick , the 6.7 Ford I hear has problems , but glad I did researched all the new trucks and found what I think is the best thing out there right now , Dodge 2007.5 to 2009 Cummins 6.7 , so I found a nice used one with 64,000 miles , it gets 18.8 @75mph and if I keep it under 60 it will do 20mpg and weighs in at 16,500 gvw , it doesn't use the chicken pee and I save enough money on fuel per month to pay the truck note and the insurance , so it is almost like I am driving it free , right now it has 131,000 miles and ( knock on wood ) has never had the engine worked on , it went out of warranty in September , did you ever see the sticker 6>8

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

Tom , you made me think of a few things I forgot in my rant , the Bobcats that burn DEF have DPF ( diesel particle filter ) which needs to have the filter scrubber every so often , this is expensive and will cause you lost of time while it sits in the shop --------- your F350 has the same thing , another term for it is soot burner , it is that catalytic convert looking piece in your exhaust , once you code up that it is full , it requires you bring it in to the dealer and have it cleaned out if you don't it will go into a limp mode , one way to clean it is to remove it from the truck and bake it in a special over to extreme heat ----------- which brings me to my truck a 2008 Dodge 4500 6.7 Cummins , I wanted a new truck in 2010 as I had a 2006 Ford 350 superduty that was killing me on fuel by getting 8mpg and always in the shop with the cab off ( only way to work on the engine ) , in the 5 years I had that truck it was at Ford at least 6 moths total time , I was feed up to the point I wanted a new truck but I didn't want any of the new 2011 or 2012 engines , almost went with the Duramax which was my second pick , the 6.7 Ford I hear has problems , but glad I did researched all the new trucks and found what I think is the best thing out there right now , Dodge 2007.5 to 2009 Cummins 6.7 , so I found a nice used one with 64,000 miles , it gets 18.8 @75mph and if I keep it under 60 it will do 20mpg and weighs in at 16,500 gvw , it doesn't use the chicken pee and I save enough money on fuel per month to pay the truck note and the insurance , so it is almost like I am driving it free , right now it has 131,000 miles and ( knock on wood ) has never had the engine worked on , it went out of warranty in September , did you ever see the sticker 6>8
the ford at least cleans the DPF on its own. every few days the truck will smell like burning rubber, that's the truck cleaning the filter. there are guys that delete the DEF and they get more power and MPGs. the government needs to get out of the way.

Fishfiles

the ford at least cleans the DPF on its own. every few days the truck will smell like burning rubber, that's the truck cleaning the filter. there are guys that delete the DEF and they get more power and MPGs. the government needs to get out of the way.
my buddy has a fairly new PeterBuilt and it has a button on the dash , when the truck starts lugging down he hits the button which must squirt in the ammonia and burns it out , he says it will run better for a day or two and then he fires it up again -----------------you know that stuff is so corrosive that it has to be stored in plastic as it will eat thru metal -------- I was a Ford guy most of my life , they really let me down on the 2006 superduty , I lost a really nice , paid for 450 superduty XLT with the 7.3 5 speed standard in Katrina , now that was a great truck not the best mpg but a horse that would still be here I am sure , you know you can still get new 7.3's in Mexico and Canada , guess they are too dirty for us or maybe cause they last too long and don't require as many trips to the dealer ------------- Henry Ford quoted " I'll give everyone in the USA a car or truck free as long as they bring it to me for all the parts and service " , he knew way back then where the money was at

jerry

my buddy has a fairly new PeterBuilt and it has a button on the dash , when the truck starts lugging down he hits the button which must squirt in the ammonia and burns it out , he says it will run better for a day or two and then he fires it up again -----------------you know that stuff is so corrosive that it has to be stored in plastic as it will eat thru metal -------- I was a Ford guy most of my life , they really let me down on the 2006 superduty , I lost a really nice , paid for 450 superduty XLT with the 7.3 5 speed standard in Katrina , now that was a great truck not the best mpg but a horse that would still be here I am sure , you know you can still get new 7.3's in Mexico and Canada , guess they are too dirty for us or maybe cause they last too long and don't require as many trips to the dealer ------------- Henry Ford quoted " I'll give everyone in the USA a car or truck free as long as they bring it to me for all the parts and service " , he knew way back then where the money was at
I got a 07 dodge cummins this spring and so far it's been good. These newer common rail diesels have not much in common with the older ones. Fuel is held in the rail at high pressure and injectors are electronicly fired. Completely drive by wire now. Time will tell I guess.

Fishfiles

I got a 07 dodge cummins this spring and so far it's been good. These newer common rail diesels have not much in common with the older ones. Fuel is held in the rail at high pressure and injectors are electronicly fired. Completely drive by wire now. Time will tell I guess.
2007 , I would think yours is a 5.9 which is a simpler proven engine , unless it's late model 2007.5 , that is when the 6.7 started , from what I have read there are a lot of parts that are interchangeable between the 5.9 and the 6.7 , I have seen the documentary of the inners of the 6.7 and what is really wild about the 6.7 is the connecting rods are forged then purposely broken in half instead of being cut as they say they are much stronger then a machined rod end , so no two are the exact same

jerry

2007 , I would think yours is a 5.9 which is a simpler proven engine , unless it's late model 2007.5 , that is when the 6.7 started , from what I have read there are a lot of parts that are interchangeable between the 5.9 and the 6.7 , I have seen the documentary of the inners of the 6.7 and what is really wild about the 6.7 is the connecting rods are forged then purposely broken in half instead of being cut as they say they are much stronger then a machined rod end , so no two are the exact same
No Fish, mine is the 07 1/2 and a 6.7 with the full load of dpf, at least two cats and egr system. Heavy engine though, I think they weigh about 500 lbs more than the gas hemi.