Bobcat 873 questions? Whats it worth?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

EL1984

I am looking at purchasing an 1999 bobcat 873 w/2400 hours for what seems to be a good price due to some needed repairs. The machine runs and operates as is but needs attention to the following: tires are slick, boom has been broken and patched in four different places and in the process some of the hydraulic hardlines were bent, and the major issue is that when at idle the machine wants to pull to the left, at full throttle it does not pull but you can tell the pressure on the left wheels seems to be delayed or possibly surging. I don't want to buy this thing and then lose money after repairs, is it possible the the steering problem could be a simple adjustment needed on the left stick? Thanks for any comments and advise.

Tazza

Staff member
The moving is a simple adjustment. The arms may be harder to repair. The best way is to actually remove them, gouge the cracks and welt it all the way around with quality rods that will weld full thickness. I did this on my 743, it worked great.
What engine does it run? if its a deutz, make sure you change the timing belt when you get it. They are meant to be done every 1,000 hours.
Bald tyres aren't a big issue, less damage to lawns. My 731 had slicks, the machine went years with them, great to compact dirt too :) It is however an issue when you can see canvas, soon after a tube could be seen..... But thats a whole other story.
If its for personal use, you can get cheap chinese tyres, they won't last as long, but they will take a long time to wear out if its just personal use. I have a set on my 743 that are about 4-5 years old, still look to have no wear.

skidsteer.ca

The moving is a simple adjustment. The arms may be harder to repair. The best way is to actually remove them, gouge the cracks and welt it all the way around with quality rods that will weld full thickness. I did this on my 743, it worked great.
What engine does it run? if its a deutz, make sure you change the timing belt when you get it. They are meant to be done every 1,000 hours.
Bald tyres aren't a big issue, less damage to lawns. My 731 had slicks, the machine went years with them, great to compact dirt too :) It is however an issue when you can see canvas, soon after a tube could be seen..... But thats a whole other story.
If its for personal use, you can get cheap chinese tyres, they won't last as long, but they will take a long time to wear out if its just personal use. I have a set on my 743 that are about 4-5 years old, still look to have no wear.
Also hardlines that are kinked and not round will eventually crack at that point, everytime the pressure spike it attemps to round them some, then they flex back to kinked when it drops, this movement eventually cause a crack.
Ken

OP
OP
E

EL1984

Also hardlines that are kinked and not round will eventually crack at that point, everytime the pressure spike it attemps to round them some, then they flex back to kinked when it drops, this movement eventually cause a crack.
Ken
What might be causing the left stick to be a little harder to push? It makes it nearly impossible to operate machine smoothly.

Tazza

Staff member
What might be causing the left stick to be a little harder to push? It makes it nearly impossible to operate machine smoothly.
One of the shock absorbers on the steering lever may be shot or it could be binding under the seat somewhere. CHeck it and the linkages.

Latest posts