Bobcat 753 Steering issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

capthogg

Hi All , new skid steer owner here. I have a 753 with steering issue. Machine starts, runs fine, hydraulics work well. Seems to have good power ahead and reverse. Machine will turn counterclockwise nice and smooth. When I try to make clockwise turn machine is very jerky. Sometimes I can get much smoother motion when very slowly moving controls (Like hunting for a sweet spot) I also seems like problem increases more after machine has warmed up a bit. Any recommendations where to start troubleshooting. Thanks

JOK

Start with the simple things first. Lift the cab and whilst moving levers, check all the linkages and components of the steering system, including steering dampeners. There's a few pieces on top of drive that are prone to wear, as are the rubber bushes used throughout the system.

Tazza

Staff member
Start with the simple things first. Lift the cab and whilst moving levers, check all the linkages and components of the steering system, including steering dampeners. There's a few pieces on top of drive that are prone to wear, as are the rubber bushes used throughout the system.
Tyre pressure can come into play too.
I second the looking at linkages, all the way back to the pump. There are aluminium arms that bolt to the top of the pump. The bolt can loosen up and the square cutout on the blocks wollow out causing there to be some slop. Get a screw driver and see if you can lever up thses blocks. They should be tight on the shafts.

JOK

Tyre pressure can come into play too.
I second the looking at linkages, all the way back to the pump. There are aluminium arms that bolt to the top of the pump. The bolt can loosen up and the square cutout on the blocks wollow out causing there to be some slop. Get a screw driver and see if you can lever up thses blocks. They should be tight on the shafts.
Those are called pintle arms, and if the shaft is also worn , can be a real pita to permanently fix. Don't think they're expensive. Been some years now but I'm thinking they were under 20 bucks. Someone with a more recent purchase may correct me on that.

antfarmer2

Those are called pintle arms, and if the shaft is also worn , can be a real pita to permanently fix. Don't think they're expensive. Been some years now but I'm thinking they were under 20 bucks. Someone with a more recent purchase may correct me on that.
On my 743 you can flip and reuse the pintal arms but got new pucks block up in the air good and ajust the creep out of it

OP
OP
C

capthogg

On my 743 you can flip and reuse the pintal arms but got new pucks block up in the air good and ajust the creep out of it
Thanks for suggestions, I got called out of town just after posting, so I will need to wait until next week to investigate further. Thanks again

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for suggestions, I got called out of town just after posting, so I will need to wait until next week to investigate further. Thanks again
Antfarmer - The newer style pumps have a square shaft coming out of the pump that connects to the swash plates unlike the round keyd shafts that the 743 models have. In their wisdom, Bobcat made the newer ones out of aluminium and not steel like the old ones. The bolts come loose and the square shaft tries to make the hole round.
I actually cheated on my S250, it had this issue and i put the piltle arms in the mill and cut them square again, opening it up just enough to be the shaft size plus the thickness of two shims. Worked a treat. The parts were not that expensive, but naturally it was a sunday i started fiddling, so the dealer wasn't open.