Bobcat 632 - Blown Head Gasket?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cdmccul

Today's preferred method for removing a flywheel bolt would be to use a battery impact. If that's in the budget, that's the way to go. You'll never regret having one. You can buy a 120 volt corded impact for a little less money, but you won't regret the little extra cost in buying the cordless ones. As the saying goes, "buy once, cry once" - buying a good brand is almost always better than buying cheap.

The other thing you could do is thread some longer bolts into the flywheel's outer edge, and then brace a prybar in them. Then you have a hand on the prybar, and a hand on the wrench to pull against eachother. Gives you more control and leverage.

Lots of ways to get around it... Not sure what you have available to you.

You can also use a flywheel holding tool... Cheaper to buy, but less chance to reuse it again

Last edited:

Ster1

I put a pair of vice grips on the front crank pulley, not on the V groove part, but kind of on the sides, so it wouldn't booger anything up, and then braced it against possibly the alternator bracket. Anyway, that and a 1/2 impact was enough to get those bolts out.

OP
OP
bobcatzack

bobcatzack

Today's preferred method for removing a flywheel bolt would be to use a battery impact. If that's in the budget, that's the way to go. You'll never regret having one. You can buy a 120 volt corded impact for a little less money, but you won't regret the little extra cost in buying the cordless ones. As the saying goes, "but once, cry once" - buying a good brand is almost always better than buying cheap.

The other thing you could do is thread some longer bolts into the flywheel's outer edge, and then brace a prybar in them. Then you have a hand on the prybar, and a hand on the wrench to pull against eachother. Gives you more control and leverage.

Lots of ways to get around it... Not sure what you have available to you.

You can also use a flywheel holding tool... Cheaper to buy, but less chance to reuse it again
Will look for 120 colt battery impact on Amazon 🙂
Thanks!

OP
OP
bobcatzack

bobcatzack

I put a pair of vice grips on the front crank pulley, not on the V groove part, but kind of on the sides, so it wouldn't booger anything up, and then braced it against possibly the alternator bracket. Anyway, that and a 1/2 impact was enough to get those bolts out.
Thanks!🙏

LeoB

Another thing you might try is:
1. Use a ratchet strap around the ring gear on the flywheel. Hook the ends of the strap in the bolt holes for the starter. Now you should have the flywheel restrained.
2. Borrow or buy a Milwaukee or DeWalt 1/2" electric impact wrench with the appropriate impact socket size. The electric impact wrench will loosen things better than most air impact wrenches. At the risk of sounding like I am talking down to you, MAKE SURE the electric impact wrench is set to loosen. Either of those two tools will snap bolts off when tightening. Don't ask me how I know that.

Just my two cents worth...

thwerench

I have a dewalt battery powered impact that is quite powerful, do you know someone who has one to try it on those bolts?

dfb

Try screwing a long bolt into one of the bolt holes at the rear of the engine, with a large flat screwdriver engage the flywheel teeth while using the bolt as an anchor point.

OP
OP
bobcatzack

bobcatzack

Another thing you might try is:
1. Use a ratchet strap around the ring gear on the flywheel. Hook the ends of the strap in the bolt holes for the starter. Now you should have the flywheel restrained.
2. Borrow or buy a Milwaukee or DeWalt 1/2" electric impact wrench with the appropriate impact socket size. The electric impact wrench will loosen things better than most air impact wrenches. At the risk of sounding like I am talking down to you, MAKE SURE the electric impact wrench is set to loosen. Either of those two tools will snap bolts off when tightening. Don't ask me how I know that.

Just my two cents worth...
Thanks! No worries you definitely are not talking down to me, rather being EXTRA clear on your suggestions - will make sure the impact wrench is set to loosen : )

OP
OP
bobcatzack

bobcatzack

I have a dewalt battery powered impact that is quite powerful, do you know someone who has one to try it on those bolts?
I will ask around - I have even read somewhere that Autozone or some auto parts stores might even lend some tools you want to use just once.

OP
OP
bobcatzack

bobcatzack

Try screwing a long bolt into one of the bolt holes at the rear of the engine, with a large flat screwdriver engage the flywheel teeth while using the bolt as an anchor point.
Sounds doable. I also have an older starter that I replaced and have not discarded yet - might try to do something with this starter to jam the flywheel teeth temporarily - may work. Unfortunately had to leave town for 4 days (work related) and try all these suggestions when back on Saturday.
Thanks!

cdmccul

I will ask around - I have even read somewhere that Autozone or some auto parts stores might even lend some tools you want to use just once.
Yes, the Loan-A-Tool programs are great. But you will rarely find power tools in those lists.

Maybe a co-worker? Neighbor?

If you were closer I'd loan you mine.

Harbor Freight sells them cheap... But very very little more money you can buy a much better brand. Like I said, you can always use it again. You'll find reasons to use it again if you like the tool. Add an egg beater to it and use it to make omelets?

OP
OP
bobcatzack

bobcatzack

Yes, the Loan-A-Tool programs are great. But you will rarely find power tools in those lists.

Maybe a co-worker? Neighbor?

If you were closer I'd loan you mine.

Harbor Freight sells them cheap... But very very little more money you can buy a much better brand. Like I said, you can always use it again. You'll find reasons to use it again if you like the tool. Add an egg beater to it and use it to make omelets?
Hmm i do make an omelet every other day 🤔

RandyL

As I recall, the heads of the bolts were fairly thin / shallow. I went and got my 6 point impact socket so as not to accidently round the heads of the bolts off. They came out fine but I made sure I was on them good and square.

OP
OP
bobcatzack

bobcatzack

As I recall, the heads of the bolts were fairly thin / shallow. I went and got my 6 point impact socket so as not to accidently round the heads of the bolts off. They came out fine but I made sure I was on them good and square.
Definitely will be careful with those strange looking bolt heads, thanks Randy!

RandyL

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure mine were 12 point. Foggy memory there, can't swear to it.

I'm not great with the memory either. You may be right. I know I stopped with the tool I had as it did not fit well enough. I came back with a socket that fit good and had no problem.

Ster1

I'm not great with the memory either. You may be right. I know I stopped with the tool I had as it did not fit well enough. I came back with a socket that fit good and had no problem.
I just looked back at his pic a few posts ago, definitely 12 point. YAY my brain still works!

OP
OP
bobcatzack

bobcatzack

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure mine were 12 point. Foggy memory there, can't swear to it.
Pic attached - bit confused on what socket to get .. 12 points? Thanks!

Attachments

• D0B59F6B-75BB-45B8-BFF5-623A3FCA330A.png
    D0B59F6B-75BB-45B8-BFF5-623A3FCA330A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 48