Bobcat 630 Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pondfishr

I have a friend that is looking to trade for a 630 with a fresh WR gas engine but it has a bad hydraulic leak. Was this machine a pretty decent model that would be worth trying to repair?

Tazza

Staff member
Where is the leak? Can you see where the oil is coming from?
It could be as simple as a split hose or loose hose fitting.
These machines are very simple, great hydraulics/hydrstatics they will last almost forever. If the price is rite, i wouldn't walk away from it.

skidsteer.ca

Where is the leak? Can you see where the oil is coming from?
It could be as simple as a split hose or loose hose fitting.
These machines are very simple, great hydraulics/hydrstatics they will last almost forever. If the price is rite, i wouldn't walk away from it.
It really depends on where the leak is coming from. Try to find out and let us know. Look for areas that are "washed clean" from the oil.
Post some pics of the machine and the leak if possible. Most leaks are more labour then parts to fix. Just requiring "o rings" a hose or some seals or packings. $.10 to $40 or $50.
However if the mechancal parts are worn that the seal runs against the bill can skyrocket into the hundreds. But 95% of he time the part is peanuts, and if you can do the labour yourself, its hard to go wrong.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
It really depends on where the leak is coming from. Try to find out and let us know. Look for areas that are "washed clean" from the oil.
Post some pics of the machine and the leak if possible. Most leaks are more labour then parts to fix. Just requiring "o rings" a hose or some seals or packings. $.10 to $40 or $50.
However if the mechancal parts are worn that the seal runs against the bill can skyrocket into the hundreds. But 95% of he time the part is peanuts, and if you can do the labour yourself, its hard to go wrong.
Ken
This is also true.
BUT with wear on parts that run a seal, these can be fixed, i know a guy that had to replace the seal on the drive end of a hydrostatic pump. He used a speedy sleeve which is basically a thin tube that you slide over a worn shaft to give a nice new surface to run on. They are only a few thou thick and generally you can get away with using the same seal (a new one of course).
Of course its not the best way to do a repair, but it is an option. There is always a way to fix things!! it just depends on how much time and effort you want to put in.
Depending on your ability it could be a good machine, if you need to send it to the dealer for minor repairs the costs will kill you. This machine is around 25-30 years old, most of the parts will still be available.

140mower

This is also true.
BUT with wear on parts that run a seal, these can be fixed, i know a guy that had to replace the seal on the drive end of a hydrostatic pump. He used a speedy sleeve which is basically a thin tube that you slide over a worn shaft to give a nice new surface to run on. They are only a few thou thick and generally you can get away with using the same seal (a new one of course).
Of course its not the best way to do a repair, but it is an option. There is always a way to fix things!! it just depends on how much time and effort you want to put in.
Depending on your ability it could be a good machine, if you need to send it to the dealer for minor repairs the costs will kill you. This machine is around 25-30 years old, most of the parts will still be available.
I've used speedy sleaves on a few different applications with mostly good results. They're not cheap but then neither are the parts you're trying to save. One thing I've found is that if the groove from the old seal is too deep, the sleeve can collapse some and re-leak. What I did on a rear axle that was a re-occuring problem was braze the groove and file then emory cloth the excess softer brass away, thus filling only the void area and then installed the speedy sleeve over the repair. This fixed it, too bad it cost the price of first one plus all the time on previous repairs to get it right.
For the most part I've found most things can be repaired, sometimes I find that when it's broke it's just not at a good time, time wise (It's never a good time money-wise) but I'm half way through something and it needs it now, like yesterday if possible. On those, I put on my long face and tell the wife, "sorry honey, I had it on the table but just couldn't save it." (She likes those medical dramas on TV, so I try and appeal to her senses.) Your milage may vary a little on this one.
emotion-2.gif

Don

OP
OP
P

pondfishr

I've used speedy sleaves on a few different applications with mostly good results. They're not cheap but then neither are the parts you're trying to save. One thing I've found is that if the groove from the old seal is too deep, the sleeve can collapse some and re-leak. What I did on a rear axle that was a re-occuring problem was braze the groove and file then emory cloth the excess softer brass away, thus filling only the void area and then installed the speedy sleeve over the repair. This fixed it, too bad it cost the price of first one plus all the time on previous repairs to get it right.
For the most part I've found most things can be repaired, sometimes I find that when it's broke it's just not at a good time, time wise (It's never a good time money-wise) but I'm half way through something and it needs it now, like yesterday if possible. On those, I put on my long face and tell the wife, "sorry honey, I had it on the table but just couldn't save it." (She likes those medical dramas on TV, so I try and appeal to her senses.) Your milage may vary a little on this one.

Don
I think the leak is in one of the rear axles. Is this a big deal to replace labor and parts?

Tazza

Staff member
I think the leak is in one of the rear axles. Is this a big deal to replace labor and parts?
Axle seals are replaceable, BUT the rear ones are horrible. You need to get rite to the back of the chain case to get to the bolt on the end of the axle. It can be done, how confident are you with mechanical stuff?
Parts are quite cheap, but labor for your dealer to do it i would estimate you would be up for around 1K.

sterlclan

Axle seals are replaceable, BUT the rear ones are horrible. You need to get rite to the back of the chain case to get to the bolt on the end of the axle. It can be done, how confident are you with mechanical stuff?
Parts are quite cheap, but labor for your dealer to do it i would estimate you would be up for around 1K.
I have the same machine overall a decent unit if you need repair info I can help with scans of the repair manual if needed Jeff

OP
OP
P

pondfishr

I have the same machine overall a decent unit if you need repair info I can help with scans of the repair manual if needed Jeff
We have picked up the 630 but haven't even taken it off the trailer. We had to take a come-along to winch it on the trailer to begin with. It is missing the cover over the engine not the big door but the one on top. It could be called a limb cover and is located at the same place as the radiator cover on a 743. Hopefully we will have a chance to start working on it before long and the cover would be noce to have when we get started. Does anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement cover?

Tazza

Staff member
We have picked up the 630 but haven't even taken it off the trailer. We had to take a come-along to winch it on the trailer to begin with. It is missing the cover over the engine not the big door but the one on top. It could be called a limb cover and is located at the same place as the radiator cover on a 743. Hopefully we will have a chance to start working on it before long and the cover would be noce to have when we get started. Does anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement cover?
Bobcat would have one, you can only ask how much.
Worst case, you can make one out of mesh, its just to keep junk out of the oil cooler fins.

sterlclan

Bobcat would have one, you can only ask how much.
Worst case, you can make one out of mesh, its just to keep junk out of the oil cooler fins.
I made mine out of expanded metal like the cage in a police car oh wait it was the cage out of a police car Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
I made mine out of expanded metal like the cage in a police car oh wait it was the cage out of a police car Jeff
LOL, now they are looking for the one who piched it *points at Jeff*
I have seen them made out of expanded mesh like that before too.