Bobcat 334 Starting Issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JackinVT

Hello, My Bobcat 334 has been starting roughly recently. It starts immediately then coughs, sputters and stalls. After a few attempts at re-starting it finally coughs, sputters and continues to run fine. Today of course it never started. It appears to be a fuel issue, like some air in the line after sitting. It was left outside last night and on a incline which may be compounding the issue. Any ideas/help would be appreciated. Thanks Jack

Tazza

Staff member
The first thing to do would be replace the fuel filter, it may be plugged.
The other issue could be a cracked pickup tube, allowing air in. If you open the bleed screw and pump the primer, it shold be firm and you shouldn't hear and bubbles, if there are bubbles, air is getting in which is causing the issue.
The next stel is to hook up a tempoary fuel tank, like a jug of fuel direct to the lift pump, you then eliminate the other fuel tank.

OP
OP
J

JackinVT

The first thing to do would be replace the fuel filter, it may be plugged.
The other issue could be a cracked pickup tube, allowing air in. If you open the bleed screw and pump the primer, it shold be firm and you shouldn't hear and bubbles, if there are bubbles, air is getting in which is causing the issue.
The next stel is to hook up a tempoary fuel tank, like a jug of fuel direct to the lift pump, you then eliminate the other fuel tank.
Thanks for the help Tazza! The fuel filter was replaced just last summer, of course I guess it could still be plugged. Although once running, I did finally get it started, it remains running fine. The cracked pickup tube certainly sounds like a good idea. When just pumping the primer bulb I do hear bubbles, that was without the bleed screw opened. I will first try the jug temporary fuel tank, but first I need to identify the lift pump. Is that before or after the fuel filter?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the help Tazza! The fuel filter was replaced just last summer, of course I guess it could still be plugged. Although once running, I did finally get it started, it remains running fine. The cracked pickup tube certainly sounds like a good idea. When just pumping the primer bulb I do hear bubbles, that was without the bleed screw opened. I will first try the jug temporary fuel tank, but first I need to identify the lift pump. Is that before or after the fuel filter?
I'm really not sure, i had it in my head that the lift pump was before the filter. If you check the hoses, you can easily work out if that is true or not.

Latest posts