big spring on driven sheave variable speed 1700 mustang

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

h-m

Hello all, i have an owatanna mustang 1700, i posted this on the deere board for the the 170, also. Anyway, i have a question on the variable speed belt drive system. Can someone that has one of these units or has the spring out or open measure the free length for me? I seem to have the wrong spring on mine, mine has about 10 coils and is very, very strong, like over 200 pounds to force to deflect it an inch! This seems very strong and it stands about 7 inches high when free. I am just trying to install it again on my sheave, but it is twice as long as my studs are to bolt it together, this seems very strange as the book only shows 4 coils and a ref to just push the spring down to start the 3 nuts to secure it. If this spring is incorrect and way stronger than necessary, will it hurt my variable drive system? thansk much for any help please. i appreciate it. Micheal

skidsteer.ca

I'm no help on the lenght or strength of the spring, but if it was mine I'd try to get to the bottom of it because it may be placing considerable unneccesary force on your clutch and driven shive. My only reference is snowmobile and atv use of a variable belt drive. But there should be no need for 200 lbd hold the driven sheeve tight to the belt. It only means the clutch must squeeze the belt that hard before it can begin to shift the driven. which could result in a blown belt (over tensioned) or broken clutch or driven.
As for the belt width, as the belt wears down it results in the loss of your lowest pulley ratio and highest ratio, so in effect you loose 1st and high gear.
Ken

OP
OP
h-m

h-m

I'm no help on the lenght or strength of the spring, but if it was mine I'd try to get to the bottom of it because it may be placing considerable unneccesary force on your clutch and driven shive. My only reference is snowmobile and atv use of a variable belt drive. But there should be no need for 200 lbd hold the driven sheeve tight to the belt. It only means the clutch must squeeze the belt that hard before it can begin to shift the driven. which could result in a blown belt (over tensioned) or broken clutch or driven.
As for the belt width, as the belt wears down it results in the loss of your lowest pulley ratio and highest ratio, so in effect you loose 1st and high gear.
Ken
thank you very much, i am trying to find someone with a belt drive machine right now, to compare. i hate to stretch my belt or blow my hydraulic drive piston right off the bat. thanks much. micheal

Tazza

Staff member
thank you very much, i am trying to find someone with a belt drive machine right now, to compare. i hate to stretch my belt or blow my hydraulic drive piston right off the bat. thanks much. micheal
Sadly there aren't many people around here with one of these machines, so finding details is really not easy. Hopefully a member will pop their nose in with the answer.