9 Ton Equipment Trailer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
S

Schifference

That would suppose the engineers who designed the trailer got the axle position wrong. I find that notion to be somewhat lacking in basis.
Every time we load a trailer, we remain aware of the balance and adjust the location of center of mass of the load accordingly, However, empty weight is empty weight and that should not be subject to personal preference or interpretation.
Regardless the information was still very logical. If a person were building a trailer or even just wanted to verify the axle placement.

Suppose I jack up this trailer and place jack stands under center axle on both sides. I should be able to determine the tongue weight by adding weight to the rear of the trailer. If I weigh 150 pounds and climb on the back with another 50 pounds their should be no weight on the tongue.

ddbackhoe

you do know that a GMC Yukon or even a GMC yukon XL is not designed to tow over 8400 or so even in its MAX factory tow set up< so, sticking a 9 ton trailer behind it, maybe isn't the best plan here all together, and I DON"T mean to sound like I am bashing you, as I am not, I am just adding actual facts ,
about a yukon/xl! and there towing ratings!
I am gathering you have other vehicles maybe you tow past 8400-8500 lbs with, ( or I am guessing and hoping ) that are more suited for the task your looking to do! and keep in mind that back in the 60's when this trailer was MADE, tow ratings on vehicles were way lighter than they are today, so this trailer was designed most likely to be towed with a rather large sized tow vehicle, and not a 1/2 ton truck , or even a 3/4 ton truck of this era,
not even sure if it was designed to be behind a 1 ton duelly of that era to be honest!
which would further also explain why it maybe need to be behind a vehicle with a much higher hitch !
With a max tongue weight of 820 pounds. 10% of 18000 (9tons) is 1800 lbs., more than double. That alone can cause bad things to happen, especially at highway speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Schifference

With a max tongue weight of 820 pounds. 10% of 18000 (9tons) is 1800 lbs., more than double. That alone can cause bad things to happen, especially at highway speed.
No question about that. But, I would never consider towing 9 ton with Yukon. Suppose trailer empty is 6,000 and I want to move my mower a couple of miles or pick up a refrigerator add 1,000 pounds, that is only 7,000 pounds and 10% of that is 700. I have an F450 to move heavy loads.

JMV

First, before I go on to what I have to say, is this registered for on road use or is it being used off road such as for farm use and you don't need it registered? If for on road use, you may be violating the vehicle code in your state.

You stated your trailer is 9 tons (18,000 lbs). Is that the weight you have it registered at with your DMV or the Gross Trailer Weight Rating (GTWR) that is on the manufacture's plate?

More than likely you have it registered at 18,000 lbs. I don't know how it is in your state, but in PA don't get caught by the DMV on the highway with that combination and hope you don't have to go on the road side scales. Your trailer will be sitting and you will be driving the Yukon to get the F450 (and depending on what year and package that is, it may not be legal) and paying fines.

The Yukon, if MRBB is correct, is rated to tow 8400 lbs. Right there you are in violation of the vehicle code because the Yukon's towing capacity is much lower than the GTWR. Even if it is empty this truck/trailer will be in violation as the vehicle code goes by the registered GTWR not what it actually weighs at the time of being stopped.

So to be legal you would need to first register the trailer as a 8400 lb trailer to keep it legal when being towed by the Yukon, even when empty.

As for the hitch you have listed, that also will be illegal, because the towing capacity is only 16,000 lbs. You would need to get one that is rated for at least 18,000 lbs. The hitch/receiver/ball combination must be rated equal to or greater than the GTWR of the trailer being towed. Remember when selecting a hitch/ball/receiver combinatoin that the rating of the hitch/ball/reciever combination goes by the lowest rated component. So, if your hitch is rated at 12,000 lbs, the reciever is rated at 10,000 lbs (which the Yukon probably is) and the ball is rated at 7,000 lbs, the overall rating is only 7,000 lbs.

I would not count on the tolls being less because you took the front axle tires off. It is still a tri-axle trailer with that axle hanging under it. I may be wrong on this.

Remember, I am basing my info on PA laws. Laws in other states may vary.

OP
OP
S

Schifference

First, before I go on to what I have to say, is this registered for on road use or is it being used off road such as for farm use and you don't need it registered? If for on road use, you may be violating the vehicle code in your state.

You stated your trailer is 9 tons (18,000 lbs). Is that the weight you have it registered at with your DMV or the Gross Trailer Weight Rating (GTWR) that is on the manufacture's plate?

More than likely you have it registered at 18,000 lbs. I don't know how it is in your state, but in PA don't get caught by the DMV on the highway with that combination and hope you don't have to go on the road side scales. Your trailer will be sitting and you will be driving the Yukon to get the F450 (and depending on what year and package that is, it may not be legal) and paying fines.

The Yukon, if MRBB is correct, is rated to tow 8400 lbs. Right there you are in violation of the vehicle code because the Yukon's towing capacity is much lower than the GTWR. Even if it is empty this truck/trailer will be in violation as the vehicle code goes by the registered GTWR not what it actually weighs at the time of being stopped.

So to be legal you would need to first register the trailer as a 8400 lb trailer to keep it legal when being towed by the Yukon, even when empty.

As for the hitch you have listed, that also will be illegal, because the towing capacity is only 16,000 lbs. You would need to get one that is rated for at least 18,000 lbs. The hitch/receiver/ball combination must be rated equal to or greater than the GTWR of the trailer being towed. Remember when selecting a hitch/ball/receiver combinatoin that the rating of the hitch/ball/reciever combination goes by the lowest rated component. So, if your hitch is rated at 12,000 lbs, the reciever is rated at 10,000 lbs (which the Yukon probably is) and the ball is rated at 7,000 lbs, the overall rating is only 7,000 lbs.

I would not count on the tolls being less because you took the front axle tires off. It is still a tri-axle trailer with that axle hanging under it. I may be wrong on this.

Remember, I am basing my info on PA laws. Laws in other states may vary.
Everything you said is totally true.
That trailer is Too big for that Yukon. No doubt about it.
With that said, people do things that are not within the letter of the law all the time and going two miles down the street with a zero turn is much different than using all the time. Anyway I have decided that it is not worth my time or effort especially since I have several other good trailers that I can use. I am going to paint it and sell it.
In regards to the hitch, Yes I agree it is not rated for 9 ton and would not be able to legally tow that trailer and wouldn't be safe to tow that trailer loaded to capacity. I do not have a construction company and don't haul equipment that is very heavy.
Believe it or not I had a 7,000 pound tandem car hauler with diamond plate. Weighed 2200 empty. I used that for 8 years but it was too fragile. It was a great trailer, easy to pull but not heavy duty enough. That is why I purchased the F450 and a 30ft gooseneck deck over. Problem with the gooseneck is it is too high and too long. Too hard to park. I just purchased a 16 foot Lamar Dump Triaxle dump trailer. That thing is beautiful! Easy to get into spots and tows like a dream. Wouldn't even know it is behind you. And, when I get done with my lawn I will have an 18 foot Land Trail flatbed trailer with 2 8,000 pound axles on it that was down graded to 10k with title. So the 9 ton trailer is going to get sold.
70741197077__9DACD2DD-0981-439D-8E80-28C847699971.jpeg
IMG_0792.jpeg

IMG_0596.jpeg

This last picture is the 7,000lb that I sold but used for 8 years.
IMG_0592.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Schifference

View attachment 3918
What is the pumping unit for?
I am thinking with the correct nozzle it could spray just about anything. I bought that trailer and unit because I needed to put in a lawn. I have been using it twice everyday to water. I can get almost the entire lawn from the perimeters. I only have one impulse sprinkler in the middle. I fill those (2) 300 gallon tanks in a little less than 2 hours with my well. I apply the water in about 20 minutes to the entire lawn.

ddbackhoe

I am thinking with the correct nozzle it could spray just about anything. I bought that trailer and unit because I needed to put in a lawn. I have been using it twice everyday to water. I can get almost the entire lawn from the perimeters. I only have one impulse sprinkler in the middle. I fill those (2) 300 gallon tanks in a little less than 2 hours with my well. I apply the water in about 20 minutes to the entire lawn.
If you need some more practice before going all in, I know a lawn that needs some serious help.
A lack of rainfall is keeping my weeds from making a green "lawn".🤭