863 Bobcat,Am I the only one with problems??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mcharley

I have owned Bobcat equipment for 20 years,Seven (7) different models.(all preowned) I speced out and purchased a new and probably one of the last 863's to go down the line,along with ten (10) new attachments. It is now two (2) years old. It has 900 hrs. on it now. It is equipped with every option but the fancy computer starting system. This machine has been nothing but trouble since it was delivered to me. The Dealer is the WORST, They have done nothing. I could list all the problems I have had with this machine but that would take a long time. Here is the latest that happend this morning. If any of you out there can help, Before it suddenly catches on fire. I would be very very greatfull. Machine started and ran fine for two (2) hours moving and grading crushed concrete. I stopped the machine and was out of it for 10 mintues. Got back in went to start it and every light,warning signal or what ever they are called on both left and right sides blink very fast,fuel & temp gauges go up & down and all that happens is a click that sounds like it is coming from the starter. (this is starter#3) The code reads "input" when I ran the test by pushing the light button for 5 seconds, It does also read 88888 then goes out. ANY IDEAS??

bobbie-g

Wow! That's some problem set! I sure don't know anything about the 863, but I'd check the battery first off. Just sounds like it may be a low or puny battery. If that has glow plugs, they can draw a total of maybe 50 or more amps when starting, and that could suck a weak battery down fast. I've lost batteries in my cars instantly like that. You should be reading at least 12v under the conditions you describe, perhaps the high 11v range when the glow plugs are on, but not below 11. Just my guess --- Bob

Tazza

Staff member
Wow! That's some problem set! I sure don't know anything about the 863, but I'd check the battery first off. Just sounds like it may be a low or puny battery. If that has glow plugs, they can draw a total of maybe 50 or more amps when starting, and that could suck a weak battery down fast. I've lost batteries in my cars instantly like that. You should be reading at least 12v under the conditions you describe, perhaps the high 11v range when the glow plugs are on, but not below 11. Just my guess --- Bob
I was about to say the same, the click click from the starter is a dead give away. Check the water level in the battery, it may just need topping up and charging but most likley if it is the battery it will need replacing.
I hope it is as simple as the battery.

Eric

I was about to say the same, the click click from the starter is a dead give away. Check the water level in the battery, it may just need topping up and charging but most likley if it is the battery it will need replacing.
I hope it is as simple as the battery.
The battery may not be the problem. I recently had a problem with my G series 763. I was running the machine normally for 2 hours with the usual starts and stops when all of a sudden I go to start the machine again and it wont start. The starter solenoid was making allot of clicking but would not turn over. All the operations lights on the control panel would flash. I checked the terminals to see if they where loose and the negative was slightly. I tightened it up. This did not help. I then borrowed a telescopic loader from the framers to jump my machine. I attached the jumper cable directly to the starter terminal and grounded to the machine. No luck! I had a multimeter handy and tested 12.4 volts on the battery and 12.4 even when I jumped it. I thought it must be a bad starter. I go to the dealer to get a new starter and talked with a tech to get some ideas. He said its either a bad battery, corroded battery terminals or cables, or a loose relay located in the fuse panel. So I install the new starter with no luck. Next I checked for a loose relay, no luck. Then I began to pull the battery out when I found the problem. The positive terminal was very corroded. I had a very hard time getting it off the battery. It was froze on there from corrosion. I cleaned up the battery terminals and added battery terminal grease and it solved the problem.
The tech also said he sometimes sees problems with corrosion in the cable that you cant even see.
Good luck!

Tazza

Staff member
The battery may not be the problem. I recently had a problem with my G series 763. I was running the machine normally for 2 hours with the usual starts and stops when all of a sudden I go to start the machine again and it wont start. The starter solenoid was making allot of clicking but would not turn over. All the operations lights on the control panel would flash. I checked the terminals to see if they where loose and the negative was slightly. I tightened it up. This did not help. I then borrowed a telescopic loader from the framers to jump my machine. I attached the jumper cable directly to the starter terminal and grounded to the machine. No luck! I had a multimeter handy and tested 12.4 volts on the battery and 12.4 even when I jumped it. I thought it must be a bad starter. I go to the dealer to get a new starter and talked with a tech to get some ideas. He said its either a bad battery, corroded battery terminals or cables, or a loose relay located in the fuse panel. So I install the new starter with no luck. Next I checked for a loose relay, no luck. Then I began to pull the battery out when I found the problem. The positive terminal was very corroded. I had a very hard time getting it off the battery. It was froze on there from corrosion. I cleaned up the battery terminals and added battery terminal grease and it solved the problem.
The tech also said he sometimes sees problems with corrosion in the cable that you cant even see.
Good luck!
That sounds alot like the "black death" that goes along copper cables, its like an oxide coating that is non-conductive. It will travel along a cable then across a terminal then along the next cable. If you peel back some insulation and find the copper is black, its a good idea to replace the cable or at least chop the bad bit off. It will cause connectors to go non-conductive. You can rub the area back with emery paper but soon enough it will do the same thing.

OP
OP
M

Mcharley

That sounds alot like the "black death" that goes along copper cables, its like an oxide coating that is non-conductive. It will travel along a cable then across a terminal then along the next cable. If you peel back some insulation and find the copper is black, its a good idea to replace the cable or at least chop the bad bit off. It will cause connectors to go non-conductive. You can rub the area back with emery paper but soon enough it will do the same thing.
WOW, four replies by three people this is great, Thanks Guys. I did the whole jumping thing on the starter & ground bolt. Both with my F-250 PS and cables and got nothing,even tried another set of cables again nothing. I then put my battary starter/charger on it and again nothing. I did inspect the terminals on both ends of the P & N cables but that was visual and a little wiggle by hand. It did cross my mind about the replace,clean battery/terminals/cable thing and it makes sense. I have had experienced that on my trucks before. I was running the heater,radio,strobe lights & cell phone was plugged into the power port with no indication of a problem. Also checked fuses and relays. I will remove the battery this morning and do that whole process complete. Thanks for all your time and input, I will post an update later with those results. I only took a shot at finding a place like this site. I had no idea it was here. First time a search engine worked for me. This is a fantastic thing. Thanks-again. Regards, Mcharley

OP
OP
M

Mcharley

WOW, four replies by three people this is great, Thanks Guys. I did the whole jumping thing on the starter & ground bolt. Both with my F-250 PS and cables and got nothing,even tried another set of cables again nothing. I then put my battary starter/charger on it and again nothing. I did inspect the terminals on both ends of the P & N cables but that was visual and a little wiggle by hand. It did cross my mind about the replace,clean battery/terminals/cable thing and it makes sense. I have had experienced that on my trucks before. I was running the heater,radio,strobe lights & cell phone was plugged into the power port with no indication of a problem. Also checked fuses and relays. I will remove the battery this morning and do that whole process complete. Thanks for all your time and input, I will post an update later with those results. I only took a shot at finding a place like this site. I had no idea it was here. First time a search engine worked for me. This is a fantastic thing. Thanks-again. Regards, Mcharley
Thanks so much to everyone for responding to my message. All is well with my 863. This is the first piece of equipment with a computer and that scared the bejeebies out of me. I also should have gone with my gut but this machine has been a nightmare since delivery. I jumped in head first and removed the battery.(that in itself was a b**ch) Removed all the terminals cleaned everything up and checked the cables for "Black Death" did not even check the battery went to the Interstate battery store got a new one. Before putting it back in I set it on a couple of 6"x 6" blocks behind the machine hooked everthing up and all is good just like a new one. tried it 4-5 times put it all in and life is good.(and still got 5hrs. in @ $75.00hr.)Thanks again to all. (I still hope the damn thing burns) This site is great and I will become a reguler. Just for s**ts and grins is there any other unhappy 863 owners out there? Thanks Again. mcharley

Tigerotor77W

Thanks so much to everyone for responding to my message. All is well with my 863. This is the first piece of equipment with a computer and that scared the bejeebies out of me. I also should have gone with my gut but this machine has been a nightmare since delivery. I jumped in head first and removed the battery.(that in itself was a b**ch) Removed all the terminals cleaned everything up and checked the cables for "Black Death" did not even check the battery went to the Interstate battery store got a new one. Before putting it back in I set it on a couple of 6"x 6" blocks behind the machine hooked everthing up and all is good just like a new one. tried it 4-5 times put it all in and life is good.(and still got 5hrs. in @ $75.00hr.)Thanks again to all. (I still hope the damn thing burns) This site is great and I will become a reguler. Just for s**ts and grins is there any other unhappy 863 owners out there? Thanks Again. mcharley
Mcharley, hope all goes well with the 863. The 863 is actually a pretty decent machine for Bobcat; it holds up well. I'm surprised to hear of the seriousness of your errors.

Either way, you definitely found the right place to post! Sorry your had to join us on such poor notice, but welcome to the forums, and by all means, let us know if we can help.

OP
OP
M

Mcharley

Mcharley, hope all goes well with the 863. The 863 is actually a pretty decent machine for Bobcat; it holds up well. I'm surprised to hear of the seriousness of your errors.

Either way, you definitely found the right place to post! Sorry your had to join us on such poor notice, but welcome to the forums, and by all means, let us know if we can help.
Tigerotor77W, Thanks for the welcome,I think i have found a home. Sure beats the other sites that I have been to, They were not Bobcat sites but were in the same family. Regards,Mcharley

siduramaxde

Hmmm....863 problems???? I had an 863 for 2 years and traded it in for a t200 (same machine only with tracks). While my 863 was not perfect, it was dependable. I personally think that it is probably the most popular skid out there, as I see so many of them. They are a great middle weight machine, not too big and not too small. However, an 863 can't hold a candle to the T200.

Eric

Hmmm....863 problems???? I had an 863 for 2 years and traded it in for a t200 (same machine only with tracks). While my 863 was not perfect, it was dependable. I personally think that it is probably the most popular skid out there, as I see so many of them. They are a great middle weight machine, not too big and not too small. However, an 863 can't hold a candle to the T200.
Glad to hear the advice worked for you. As for the crappy 863, sounds like you got one of those rare lemons. Ford, Chevy, Dodge they all have there problems. Same crap. Its just hell when your the one dealing with it. So, what other problems have you had with this machine thats causing you such pain???

OP
OP
M

Mcharley

Glad to hear the advice worked for you. As for the crappy 863, sounds like you got one of those rare lemons. Ford, Chevy, Dodge they all have there problems. Same crap. Its just hell when your the one dealing with it. So, what other problems have you had with this machine thats causing you such pain???
Hey Eric, The first week was great no problems. After that it was all downhill!! Throttle cable was eaten by the AC compressor. Left side front & rear axle hubs were defective,threads were stripped in the lug holes ruined two rims,Eventhough I followed the tightning procedure as per the directions using a breaker bar not a air lug wrench. A.C. compressor came apart. They did put a new one on but the AC freeze's up & then I turn the heat on thaw it out still that way. The dealer did put the throttle cable on,fix the hubs and the compressor.Thats were they stopped. I have done the following, But they sent me the parts UPS. Two starters,Wiper motor,washer fluid pump,Alternator,Muffler cracked on inside seem under the heat shield, Parking brake does not work. Have not fix that yet, light comes on switch works no click to engage or disengage brake. Horn does not work,Back up alarm does not work, All fuses and relays are good. Radio is junk faceplate won't stay in saddle and reception is bad. Main hyd. pump leaks I add a gallon every two days. Two Injector line fittings cracked. Cab leaked on sides and top window. (only when it rained) There are a few more things but it depresse's me to talk about them. (lol) This is the eighth machine,first new one I bought from this dealer. The Good: It is a powerhouse,I can outwork a stock Case 580 in any situation with any attachment. I did look at the Rubber track model before buying this. The problem I would have is it is all sand here some clay but the sand is very fine to medium and very abrasive I did not want track and undercarrige problems. (I have a small Komatsu dozer with rubber tracks) The 863 has 900 hrs. and I am the only one that runs it. I could not even imagine if I let some of my employees run it what shape it would be in. Regards, mcharley

Stone Hands

Hey Eric, The first week was great no problems. After that it was all downhill!! Throttle cable was eaten by the AC compressor. Left side front & rear axle hubs were defective,threads were stripped in the lug holes ruined two rims,Eventhough I followed the tightning procedure as per the directions using a breaker bar not a air lug wrench. A.C. compressor came apart. They did put a new one on but the AC freeze's up & then I turn the heat on thaw it out still that way. The dealer did put the throttle cable on,fix the hubs and the compressor.Thats were they stopped. I have done the following, But they sent me the parts UPS. Two starters,Wiper motor,washer fluid pump,Alternator,Muffler cracked on inside seem under the heat shield, Parking brake does not work. Have not fix that yet, light comes on switch works no click to engage or disengage brake. Horn does not work,Back up alarm does not work, All fuses and relays are good. Radio is junk faceplate won't stay in saddle and reception is bad. Main hyd. pump leaks I add a gallon every two days. Two Injector line fittings cracked. Cab leaked on sides and top window. (only when it rained) There are a few more things but it depresse's me to talk about them. (lol) This is the eighth machine,first new one I bought from this dealer. The Good: It is a powerhouse,I can outwork a stock Case 580 in any situation with any attachment. I did look at the Rubber track model before buying this. The problem I would have is it is all sand here some clay but the sand is very fine to medium and very abrasive I did not want track and undercarrige problems. (I have a small Komatsu dozer with rubber tracks) The 863 has 900 hrs. and I am the only one that runs it. I could not even imagine if I let some of my employees run it what shape it would be in. Regards, mcharley
Glad you found the answer for this problem. I have a 98 Model 863 F turbo. Have had it 2 years and no problems. Cleared 50 acres of trees and brush with a grapple and bucket. I think the older models were easier to work on and more mature if you know what I mean. She is old and broke in like her owner. Changing he hydro filter is a real pain however. Dumped a gallon of fluid on my spotless shop floor before getting the old filter tightened back up. Found I have to drain the holding tank first or our friend gravity will take over and drain it for ya. New to this forum and looks great. Good luck.

SkidRoe

Glad you found the answer for this problem. I have a 98 Model 863 F turbo. Have had it 2 years and no problems. Cleared 50 acres of trees and brush with a grapple and bucket. I think the older models were easier to work on and more mature if you know what I mean. She is old and broke in like her owner. Changing he hydro filter is a real pain however. Dumped a gallon of fluid on my spotless shop floor before getting the old filter tightened back up. Found I have to drain the holding tank first or our friend gravity will take over and drain it for ya. New to this forum and looks great. Good luck.
Don't feel bad. Everytime I break into the hydraulic system on my machine, I seem to leave at least a gallon of fluid on the floor, no matter how hard I try to keep things contained. I alway have my trusty drum of sawdust handy, and buy oil by the 5 gallon pail. It is just the way it is.