773G Battery

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Feedbag

Hello, Could someone recommend a good battery replacement for my 2003 - 773G? The Operation & Maintenance Manual and the Service Manual both list different part numbers for the battery. I live in Massachusetts and the outside temperatures can drop below zero at times and my machine is kept in an unheated shed. Thank you....

foton

buy the biggest battery you can cram in there, with cold weather battery power falls off big time. There are electric powered battery blankets available too. And does your machine have a block heater ,they save on cold starts too. all really beneficial . I use both.

[email protected]

buy the biggest battery you can cram in there, with cold weather battery power falls off big time. There are electric powered battery blankets available too. And does your machine have a block heater ,they save on cold starts too. all really beneficial . I use both.
I just replaced mine in my 773G a couple weeks ago. I went to napa and got this one: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8424?keywordInput=bat+8424 - the larger size bobcat battery unfortunately will not fit.

reaperman

If you have a caterpillar dealer nearby, cat makes excellent batteries with similar prices to auto parts stores. They are made to take the shock and bouncing around heavy equipment dishes out. I live in Minnesota, and my 753 is also stored in a un-heated shed. Right now its -14F outside and I just finished plowing some snow. No issues starting. You can also use a battery maintainer and leave it connected to your battery all winter without worries of hard starts.

bobbie-g

If you have a caterpillar dealer nearby, cat makes excellent batteries with similar prices to auto parts stores. They are made to take the shock and bouncing around heavy equipment dishes out. I live in Minnesota, and my 753 is also stored in a un-heated shed. Right now its -14F outside and I just finished plowing some snow. No issues starting. You can also use a battery maintainer and leave it connected to your battery all winter without worries of hard starts.
My 763C, 863G, and 751C all use a group 31 battery with terminals in the center of the top. I _think_ my T180 also used the same battery. :) ---Bobbie-G

bobcat743b

My 763C, 863G, and 751C all use a group 31 battery with terminals in the center of the top. I _think_ my T180 also used the same battery. :) ---Bobbie-G
don't know what size you need but a battery maintainer left plugged in will keep your battery charged. if your in that cold weather a block heater is really a must for diesel motors. easier starting and lot less wear for your motor. I have a battery maintainer on my 1845 case. bought it 8 years ago. still has same battery in it. 800 cranking amps.

OP
OP
F

Feedbag

Did you go with a General Service Caterpillar battery? Or the Premium High Output one... Thanks

reaperman

Did you go with a General Service Caterpillar battery? Or the Premium High Output one... Thanks
I didnt know there was a choice, but I'd say a general service would do just fine. We use normal cat batteries in all of our heavy equipment with good luck. Some have lasted 10 years. Kubota engines start very well and quickly, they shouldnt need anything fancy to get them going.

OP
OP
F

Feedbag

I didnt know there was a choice, but I'd say a general service would do just fine. We use normal cat batteries in all of our heavy equipment with good luck. Some have lasted 10 years. Kubota engines start very well and quickly, they shouldnt need anything fancy to get them going.
Thank you for the replies, all were helpful. I bought a block heater from Bobcat for the engine and ordered a battery maintainer off line. Caterpillar did not have a battery for me, so I will either go with a Bobcat battery or a NAPA battery. Again, thank you all for the tips.....

bobbie-g

Thank you for the replies, all were helpful. I bought a block heater from Bobcat for the engine and ordered a battery maintainer off line. Caterpillar did not have a battery for me, so I will either go with a Bobcat battery or a NAPA battery. Again, thank you all for the tips.....
Putting that block heater in will be fun! Takes a lot of nerve to take a hammer and punch to a freeze plug, not knowing how that will all work out. But it did in my case (763 with Kubota 2203 engine). Goes in a funny place, I think on the flywheel end of the engine, tucked up in a small space. As I recall, it went in very easily. Then the first thing I did was let the cord dangle in the latch when the door slammed..... :) ---Bobbie-G

OP
OP
F

Feedbag

Putting that block heater in will be fun! Takes a lot of nerve to take a hammer and punch to a freeze plug, not knowing how that will all work out. But it did in my case (763 with Kubota 2203 engine). Goes in a funny place, I think on the flywheel end of the engine, tucked up in a small space. As I recall, it went in very easily. Then the first thing I did was let the cord dangle in the latch when the door slammed..... :) ---Bobbie-G
The kit came with instructions which included where the heater went, complete with pictures. I removed the air filter assembly to give me more room to work. After draining out the engine coolant, I used a chisel and hammer to get the freeze plug to turn sideways, then used needle nose pliers to remove it from the head. To my surprise, it went pretty smooth. Installing the heater was easy after that. I took the opportunity to change out all the engine coolant while I did this job. Now, the job is done and the heater is working good :)

OP
OP
F

Feedbag

I posted some pictures of the installation in the Photo Gallery section of this group. They can be found in the 2003 773G Turbo Block Heater folder

flyerdan

I posted some pictures of the installation in the Photo Gallery section of this group. They can be found in the 2003 773G Turbo Block Heater folder
I made your link live so it's clickable to get the pics.
On the one where the freeze plug is just removed, is it an illusion or is there some gouging or erosion at the bottom of the hole? Looked like it could be a possible leak problem down the line.
You'll appreciate the heater; they start better and suffer less wear when they are warmer.

OP
OP
F

Feedbag

I made your link live so it's clickable to get the pics.
On the one where the freeze plug is just removed, is it an illusion or is there some gouging or erosion at the bottom of the hole? Looked like it could be a possible leak problem down the line.
You'll appreciate the heater; they start better and suffer less wear when they are warmer.
Thank you... I think it just looks that way because it is a little wet, it is also before I cleaned it before putting in the heater. I cleaned around the casting with a green pad and all was clean and smooth, ready to accept the heater. I didn't take a picture of the green pad cleaning, guess I should have.....