2001 773G Thinking of buying.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

442JOHN

Looking at a 2001 773G with under 1500HRS. How badly worn should bushings and pins be? Any other things to look for?

Joel804

Looking at a 2001 773G with under 1500HRS. How badly worn should bushings and pins be? Any other things to look for?
Look over the whole unit. Make sure you have some time to inspect it. Take covers off and look at the wheel motors for any leaks etc etc. good luck

OP
OP

442JOHN

Look over the whole unit. Make sure you have some time to inspect it. Take covers off and look at the wheel motors for any leaks etc etc. good luck. Never thought to take covers off, they are between wheels, right? What is it worth, they,re wanting in upper teens for it. Thanks for response.

OP
OP

442JOHN

Thanks for information. Never thought about taking covers off. What is it worth, they're wanting in upper teens.

lmcl123

Do your due diligence! Does it have the ahc controls, or the foot controls? I bought a 2000 773 g Turbo several years ago. It had 3,460 hours on it. It had ahc hand controls (electronic / computer control board). I had problems with the lift not lowering. Ended up being the AHC control board. Bobcat had also replaced it when the previous owner had it. That one went bad after 200 hours. It cost me $1,600 bucks for the computer control. The control board had also been replaced before the previous owner owned it. If you know the serial number, you can get a hold of the local bobcat dealer and see if they have service records for the machine.
It actually took local bobcat four and a half months to get it running right. When they replaced the control board, it fixed the original problem but created another one. The machine developed extreme shuddering when lowering the lift arm. Local bobcat actually cut a lot of the labor cost out of the final bill as they were a little upset with national bobcat.
National bobcat actually said that they've switched vendors several times over the years for that control board, and each time they switch vendors the vendors use different components in it depending on availability or lack of availability. Therefore, the boards don't always work correctly.
I sold that machine and bought a 1995 763 with $1200 on it. It had foot and hand controls.
Mid teens isn't a bad price for it. One last thing, do your due diligence 😃

lmcl123

I forgot to add, if it has the AHC controls, then it also has electronic actuators to operate the lift and tilt control valves. Those cost about $700 a piece. Both the lift and tilt actuators on my machine had been replaced at least once.

OP
OP

442JOHN

WOW, that really stinks! It has hand/ foot controls. Maybe I should hold off because that's a lot of expensive maintenance issues! I'll be rethinking the whole deal and praying for guidance. Thanks for informing. He wants $17,600, 1067 Hrs, stump bucket with thumb, tooth bucket and Bobcat auger with 2 bits. Anyone else have same problems with computer? Thanks

TonyCT322

Take someone with you that can be objective. It is too easy to fall in love with the idea of a skid steer. Remember, they were ori"construction" grade equipment. Parts and service can still have "construction" pricing. If you have never owned one, they can be intimidating when it's time for the first repair. Sites like this and YouTube are helpful. Three years later, I am a lot more comfortable working on mine. The more common issue with the "older" machines is part availability. I have a 2007 John Deere and I am starting to find obtaining replacements more challenging. Good luck

mrbb

I would also suggest running the vin number thru your local bobcat dealer, they can many times tell you history on a machine, as these days, sellers are NOT always as honest as they may seem, or you want them to be!@
money sure has a way of making some folks tell lies, to sell things any more!
but the price for a TRUE low hour machine like this with implements you listed is, IMO< worth the asking price(or in current market it is)
I agree with taking some that has experience with machines to go with you when you go look at it in person, as they can many times spot things that are worn out, or can see better how well it was cared for or not
how tight or loose bushings are (bucket, attachment, arms and so on)
does it seem like it was greased often or ?? same with motor, does it appear it was just washed to make a sale, or was it kept clean and PM's done often!
real easy to make a machine LOOK pretty for sale with cheap paint and a power washer
and most sellers today know it!
SO< the more experienced you are, or someone you can take to look it over the better!

lmcl123

If it only hand/foot controls, forget everything I said:) 1500 Hours is not bad. That machine also came with an option of ACS controls. This option has both hand/foot controls or you could switch to the to the electronic control. that mode, the hand controls controlled everything. The serial number dictates which machine it is.
You are already doing more due diligence than i did when buying my 773. Good luck.

OP
OP

442JOHN

If it only hand/foot controls, forget everything I said:) 1500 Hours is not bad. That machine also came with an option of ACS controls. This option has both hand/foot controls or you could switch to the to the electronic control. that mode, the hand controls controlled everything. The serial number dictates which machine it is.
You are already doing more due diligence than i did when buying my 773. Good luck.

OP
OP

442JOHN

I talked with Bobcat of Knoxville and they said it's never been serviced at their facility. I ran the VIN and nothing came up about being stolen. May try calling national Bobcat, if there is such a thing, and see if they have any records. I think it is actual hours for the machine, 1068. I'll know for sure Sunday when I go to pick it up. I'm pulling it with a 2001 Excursion 7.3 diesel and a 14,000lb trailer. Hope I'll be good there. I taking at least 2 of my 3 sons who look things over carefully. My youngest son i hope will go, he's a master mechanic but Porsche not Bobcat. I've been praying about this for some time and feel, if everything checks out, it's what I should do. Blessings to all for the important information and keep it coming.

lmcl123

I might have to call my friend in Virginia and have him get over there before you do 😃 the stump bucket probably worth a couple thousand new. I also like that the handles are strictly manual, (none of the AHC or ACS control bs.). I had the same electronic Alphanumeric ignition on my 773. You can see all the numbers on yours, you couldn't see them on mine. So that's a good sign that the hours are genuine, unless he had to replace that part. If it sounds good and runs good and doesn't have a bunch of major leaks I definitely buy it.

OP
OP

442JOHN

Thanks for your opinion! I've been looking for one a long time. It's a little higher than I wanted to spend, but I think this is a machine I can pass down to my 3 sons. Boessi

mrbb

as long as the machine seems that the hours are correct , that is when you go look at it, wear and tear seem about on par with claimed 1000+ hrs, and I say again CLAIMED< as so many lie these days or cheat to make money!
in today's crazy market, the price is on par for things
kind of funny that 10 yrs or so ago, when it was an even newer machine, it was only worth about half hat is selling for now!, crazy times we live in

one thing I will add is, this machine has been listed according to the add 5 weeks, which to me is not a BIG red flag, but could be one, or gets my attention!
as when these l\machines in low hours and good condition show up they tend to sell FAST, as with spring time coming and lawn care and contractors always looking for them as well as home owners, and all the folks that HATE emission machines, they normally do NOT last long when posted up for sale!
so, I wonder why its not gone already!~
IMO again,
make sure you look at things well, and bring them kids to look at well, more eye the better!
, best of luck to you!

OP
OP

442JOHN

He is hard to get a hold of, I know that. It was a Big Red flag to me also. I hope it is as good as it supposed to be when we see it in person. Thanks for all input, I need all the help I can get. I called Bobcat in Roanoke VA and they have no records of hour computer being replaced. They also said that it is almost impossible to alter hour meter. I guess I'll find out after a 4.5 hour one way drive 😲

mrbb

might be hard to alter hour meter itself, but that doesn't stop folks from replacing them all together, with ones off ebay or salvage yards or?

like I said, lots of scammers in the world today
1000 hours or so machines 20+ yrs old, always make me wonder(40-50 hrs a yr only??)
sure some are out there, but it makes me want to look harder at things when there selling them, to add the math to the hours,
paint decals, and replacing parts, can make machines look better than they are, and sellers again, can sure seem honest, but be full of crap at same time, the mighty dollar has warped many from having pride in there word or reputations!

but like all things in life, you have to take the plunge some times to get what you want

the good thing is, lots of replacement parts and not much that cannot be fixed if needed, might cost a few bucks to do so, but if planning to keep a long time, it can be worth the costs
I know I got my skid steer from an old man (88 yrs old with cancer, selling cause he couldn;t use no more) that claimed lots of things, seemed very honest(even friends of a close friend of mine backed him up as being honest
after getting machine and having time with it, and local dealer9who he claimed he used)
I found out 90% of what he told me were lies! YUP old guy told me a bunch of BS to make a sale
I didn;'t care so much due I looked it over and knew it was a solid machine, even if UI had to sink in some $$ to fix what he claimed was good
which I did(4k later)
its now about where he said it was at time of sale! HAHA!
but I plan to keep a long time, so I'll call it an investment, and to be honest, just due to market price climbs, if I wanted to sell it now, I can get all what I sunk in it back pl;us more
so it worked out in the long run I guess!

so, best of luck to you again, and post back if you get it and then again a while after having, always nice when folks add more info after a topic is started, to let us know how it turned out!

Latest posts