743 won't start in the cold

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jerry

My good ones glowed to the tip in 3-4 seconds. When I had filter trouble that fuel in the filters did not thicken in a pan in the cold but I do think it or particles of wax and water do collect and block the media in the filter.
Curious about the oil although it would not make any difference in starting since it is synthetic , the mobil one I looked at did not have diesel rating, did yours? I ended up with rotella t6 5-40 about the same price here. Hopefully the new glow plugs will do the trick for you.
Although your plugs and mine may be a apples and oranges deal since I think the new Holland ones are recommended for 15 second max glow time. I read that somewhere anyhow.

wings5j

Although your plugs and mine may be a apples and oranges deal since I think the new Holland ones are recommended for 15 second max glow time. I read that somewhere anyhow.
Hi to all, Hopefully I won't side track the post. I just wanted to add that the block heater for that engine is fairly reasonable from Bobcat. I bought one a year or so ago for around $53. Hope you get it worked out. John

de03x7

I live in Alaska and have a 743B. If the temperature is zero to 15 above it will start up with a 90 second glow cycle then a couple 30 second cycles without being plugged in. If it is -15 to zero it will start after being plugged in for a couple hours. I have a water heater, oil pan heater and a battery trickle charger on it. Below -15 I have to run my torpeado heater on it for 30-45 minutes to get it started.
The biggest issue for me is not getting the engine to turn over and run, it is that the hydraulic oil gets too heavy in the cold. When it is -15 or colder the machine wants to creep. I don't want to try adjusting anything because I don't have a problem once it warms up. I think if I could find a way to preheat the hydraulic oil it would start up with no problem.

BobCat

I live in Alaska and have a 743B. If the temperature is zero to 15 above it will start up with a 90 second glow cycle then a couple 30 second cycles without being plugged in. If it is -15 to zero it will start after being plugged in for a couple hours. I have a water heater, oil pan heater and a battery trickle charger on it. Below -15 I have to run my torpeado heater on it for 30-45 minutes to get it started.
The biggest issue for me is not getting the engine to turn over and run, it is that the hydraulic oil gets too heavy in the cold. When it is -15 or colder the machine wants to creep. I don't want to try adjusting anything because I don't have a problem once it warms up. I think if I could find a way to preheat the hydraulic oil it would start up with no problem.
I have a 743B also and live up north where it can drop well below freezing. Kubota's V1702 are known for poor compression and cold weather doesn't help. I was having the same issue so I tried Auto RX. I'm on the second treatment and it did help. My machine starts way easier than it ever did before especially when it's below zero.

OP
OP
K

kyosho

I have a 743B also and live up north where it can drop well below freezing. Kubota's V1702 are known for poor compression and cold weather doesn't help. I was having the same issue so I tried Auto RX. I'm on the second treatment and it did help. My machine starts way easier than it ever did before especially when it's below zero.
Can you give me a part number for that heater? Is this the type that you knock out a freeze plug and insert it? If yes which plug did you do? Standing behind the machine I can see freeze plugs on the right side - the battery side. The in line tank heaters - can someone point me at those as well? Over the weekend I removed two of the glow plugs and checked them - they glowed on almost the last 1/2" and only took about 10 seconds to be very bright red. So they check out. PLus like I said my relay and wiring check out. Leaves me to believe being old and lower compression it's just not happy in the cold! And thank you to EVERYONE! I appreciate it.

antfarmer2

Can you give me a part number for that heater? Is this the type that you knock out a freeze plug and insert it? If yes which plug did you do? Standing behind the machine I can see freeze plugs on the right side - the battery side. The in line tank heaters - can someone point me at those as well? Over the weekend I removed two of the glow plugs and checked them - they glowed on almost the last 1/2" and only took about 10 seconds to be very bright red. So they check out. PLus like I said my relay and wiring check out. Leaves me to believe being old and lower compression it's just not happy in the cold! And thank you to EVERYONE! I appreciate it.
Call bobcat can drop ship them with a cc or ebay for fifty bucks

BobCat

Put your cat against some thing that will not move on dirt and see if the wheels will spin
Be careful I don't think the soft plug type heater will work with your 743B, no room. Because where it needs to go on the flywheel end right behind the seat. My local Bobcat dealer recommended a tank type heater that ties into the antifreeze hoses on the back of the engine.

Bobcatdan

Be careful I don't think the soft plug type heater will work with your 743B, no room. Because where it needs to go on the flywheel end right behind the seat. My local Bobcat dealer recommended a tank type heater that ties into the antifreeze hoses on the back of the engine.
Only a tank heater is available for a 743, no frost plug block heater are.

de03x7

Only a tank heater is available for a 743, no frost plug block heater are.
Mine has the tank heater on it. I will try to get you a picture of how it is connected after it warms up some. It is 26 below zero here now but they are calling for above zero by saturday.

OP
OP
K

kyosho

Mine has the tank heater on it. I will try to get you a picture of how it is connected after it warms up some. It is 26 below zero here now but they are calling for above zero by saturday.
de03x7 - thank you. Yes mine is a 743, not 743B. Older, 1987 I believe. Yes a picture would help alot! I appreciate it thank you! And if you could provide where you got it (eBay, etc.) that would be great too. Thank you to all.

OP
OP
K

kyosho

de03x7 - thank you. Yes mine is a 743, not 743B. Older, 1987 I believe. Yes a picture would help alot! I appreciate it thank you! And if you could provide where you got it (eBay, etc.) that would be great too. Thank you to all.
I ordered a Kats 13200 tank inline heater from amazon today. From what I can gather - remove the drain plug from the block and replace with a nipple. 5/8" hose from there to the heater. Strap around the heater and bolt it to something. The short bypass hose that is 3/8" that is near the upper radiator hose/thermostat housing - cut that in half and put a 3/8 x 3/* tee in it. 3/8" from there into a 5/8" and back to the outlet of the tank heater. I have to run it it says to purge air so not sure how I can do that when I can't get it started. ;)

jerry

I ordered a Kats 13200 tank inline heater from amazon today. From what I can gather - remove the drain plug from the block and replace with a nipple. 5/8" hose from there to the heater. Strap around the heater and bolt it to something. The short bypass hose that is 3/8" that is near the upper radiator hose/thermostat housing - cut that in half and put a 3/8 x 3/* tee in it. 3/8" from there into a 5/8" and back to the outlet of the tank heater. I have to run it it says to purge air so not sure how I can do that when I can't get it started. ;)
Be sure to fill it up as much as possible before attaching it to the bypass hose and as you fill it burp the upper rad hose other than that I don't know if there is much you can do till it runs.