743 put in new ujoints sounds like something in bind. Can the key to the spline an adaptor be worn out

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

helpnotamechinic

I can't get any answers from bobcat service mechanics. I have had engine out 3x an have yet to run it. Last time I slid engine onto the hydrostatic pump 2 engine mount holes wouldn't line up till it finally came loose. Now I have myself thinking the adapter/ spline is bent Help

Tazza

Staff member
Are you sure your universal joints aren't bad? I had a machine that i replaced the joints on, the bolts that came with them made one bind up, i installed it and it had a horrible vibration, took a lick off the side of the bolts and it was perfect

could this be your issue?

OP
OP
H

helpnotamechinic

I will check it this morning. I only mounted them to the flywheel, I received them from someone my mom's friend paid for them all I had to do was grease them. Also no shims were in place when they came apart. I am having a hard time with the key on the connection of the adapter to the slime It isn't tight in the slot an keeps falling out. ( I have Never done anything like this before, my mom had pancreatic and liver cancer so money was/ is a issue she wanted to get on it again. Sadly part came the week she left, so I have to do this for her and me. I will check in when I go out there this morning Thank you Sir

OP
OP
H

helpnotamechinic

It was not running as friend who worked on mine equipment was turning it over off the starter it was just a loud sound and he said something sounds like it's too tight or in a bind

foton

A friend of mine just went thru this with his 743 b ,he had a bad u joint and he did not stop using the machine. When he pushed it further the bad joints caused the pump shaft to bend and twist. He found a shaft in canada . bobcat said they had none. bobcat in chattanogga made expensive repair 7k plus.ouch

OP
OP
H

helpnotamechinic

I overthink things too much, but bobcat when someone in service will answer my question has said that I don't need shims for the coupling connected to the flywheel when I had asked since it had none prior. The ujoints are new and it's not even been running yet. Anyway with the new motor mounts would that little extra raise of the engine cause me to add shims?

Tazza

Staff member
You need to be specific about these shims, the universal does not use shims, the pump mounts do. The manual gives a distance from the bottom of the engine bay to the middle of the pump shaft. I don't remember the allowable limit, but i had in my head 1/4" was acceptable.

OP
OP
H

helpnotamechinic

So the coupling mounted on the flywheel does not need shined up to match pump? Also I checked movement of the coupler with the ujoints and moves free. I greased new u joints sn the pump has never been moved in any way. Any other ideas? I am at a standstill f

wmodel1897

I had a problem with a 642. I put in a different engine and had a hard time getting the alignment correct. It sounded like it was in a bit of a bind. I finally solved it by putting in an extra set of washers under the mounts and that saved it. If you forgot to put the washers between the mounts and the body it will vibrate and bind. Might be your problem. You don't have to pull engine to check. You can take mounting bolt out and use a bar to lift it up enough to put another washer in or out. Then just turn it over to see and hear if it is binding. You can turn it over by putting a socket on crank and turning it over by hand. You will feel it binding that way.

OP
OP
H

helpnotamechinic

Thank you. I have had the engine out 3x because bobcat service failed to tell me that you needed to replace the seal on the adapter at the hydrostatic pump I would love to have had them fix it but my mom's cancer treatment was more important and you just can't find anyone who can even give you good advice. Now on adding or removing a washer does the pump itself have to be shimmed? An again Thank you an to everyone who has or does give me any advice

gearbox

It's been a while since I have been in a 43 series . I can't remember if it was a double U joint and is it possible to get the joints out of time like a drive shaft .

OP
OP
H

helpnotamechinic

Yes it has 2 ujoints. I put the coupler ( ujoints ) it all was put on just like I removed it. An I asked bobcat about the shims and when I said that they wasn't any when I took it off then I didn't need to. I honestly don't know what the noise was, a guy I know who works on equipment at the mine was turning it over by jumping the starter and he said it sounded like something too tight or in a bind. I got to get it going. If it wasn't how much I wanted to have it done for my mom to get on it again I would not have attempted to do this. It is too late for my mom, but she believed that I would have it done so it's become do or die. I do really Appreciate your help and for taking the time to respond

mikelv

just my 2 cents, I have never done any work on a bobcat but many times when replacing u-Joints I find they are in a bind when first installed for some reason. I find a few sharp taps on them with a hammer fixes the problem. Hard enough to Shock the joint but don't beat the crap out of it.

Gearclash

Can you post a picture of the coupler assembly? I just replaced an engine to hydro coupler in one of my Cases due to a yoke spline failure. The engine to hydro alignment is clearly off a little but it matters nothing. That's why there is a Cardan joint there. I'll echo the response above about checking how easily the new U joints move. The coupler I rebuilt uses 1310 crosses and the new crosses came with 3 different retaining ring thicknesses. Using the wrong ring would have made the crosses really bind up.

OP
OP
H

helpnotamechinic

Can you post a picture of the coupler assembly? I just replaced an engine to hydro coupler in one of my Cases due to a yoke spline failure. The engine to hydro alignment is clearly off a little but it matters nothing. That's why there is a Cardan joint there. I'll echo the response above about checking how easily the new U joints move. The coupler I rebuilt uses 1310 crosses and the new crosses came with 3 different retaining ring thicknesses. Using the wrong ring would have made the crosses really bind up.
Sorry I just got my phone off the charger. Yes I will first thing in the morning. It's already dark and I have been working on it outside so I wouldn't have a good picture

Attachments

• 72375232765__281E9E42-7F31-4B80-BDB9-45A7C9AEB733.jpeg
    72375232765__281E9E42-7F31-4B80-BDB9-45A7C9AEB733.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 72375231250__C91E238E-A68F-4FF8-A3AA-E72D0D94BE74.jpeg
    72375231250__C91E238E-A68F-4FF8-A3AA-E72D0D94BE74.jpeg
    580.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 72375207571__2263BDDF-F89D-4052-9229-FEEF9E98842A.jpeg
    72375207571__2263BDDF-F89D-4052-9229-FEEF9E98842A.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
H

helpnotamechinic

I hope these are good
Sorry I just got my phone off the charger. Yes I will first thing in the morning. It's already dark and I have been working on it outside so I wouldn't have a good picture

for you to see. I can take more. I don't know what the little bit of hydraulic fluid is from that was dripping out of the outside of the adapter ring but it was not enough to show on the stick. I measured from the floor to the center of the pump adapter and it was about 10 inches I have the engine in there and I am going to try and get a measurement of the ujoint coupler maybe because the motor mounts that came off was 20+ years old and worn down that I have raised it just enough with the new ones to throw it off. If so I don't know how to get it back down. FYI I am in no way even a back yard mechanic when my mom was going through the chemo we didn't have the money to get someone to fix it her ex paid the 800 for ujoints so don't mistake me for knowing what some of you guys are talking about. You may not know it but you are doing a great thing guiding me. I didn't get the parts back in time for my mom to get on it again but I am going to finish it somehow for her

OP
OP
H

helpnotamechinic

IMG_1104.jpeg

I hope these are good

for you to see. I can take more. I don't know what the little bit of hydraulic fluid is from that was dripping out of the outside of the adapter ring but it was not enough to show on the stick. I measured from the floor to the center of the pump adapter and it was about 10 inches I have the engine in there and I am going to try and get a measurement of the ujoint coupler maybe because the motor mounts that came off was 20+ years old and worn down that I have raised it just enough with the new ones to throw it off. If so I don't know how to get it back down. FYI I am in no way even a back yard mechanic when my mom was going through the chemo we didn't have the money to get someone to fix it her ex paid the 800 for ujoints so don't mistake me for knowing what some of you guys are talking about. You may not know it but you are doing a great thing guiding me. I didn't get the parts back in time for my mom to get on it again but I am going to finish it somehow for her
The last photo is of the top of the hydrostatic pump. Got a little fluid around the main fitting???

brdgbldr

Could that fluid be coming from the pressure fitting adapter? It looks like it has been hit from the top and is bent at the threads.