742b governor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

zook&pepper

Hi, I'm new to the site and new to Bobcat. I purchased a 742b and everything worked fine until one day as i was running it the governor shattered into pieces. I bought a new one from my local bobcat dealer($1100) and installed it. When i started the engine it too shattered into pieces within about 5 seconds. Bobcat replaced the broken governor for free, Ive installed the new one but have not yet tried to start the engine as I'm scared of what will happen. Do I need to add oil to the part right out of the box? Also I'm missing a small ball joint for the throttle linkage, does anyone know where i can get another? Please HELP ! Thanks! - Zook

flyerdan

Something caused the governor to grenade, until the source is found it will keep blowing them up. It's amazing that Bobcat replaced a non-defective part; maybe they felt bad about the price rodgering.
What I would do is remove the governor, turn the engine over by hand and see what's happening with the governor actuation. Chances are there is something that is worn or damaged to cause it to operate outside it's orbit and it's contacting the gov housing or making something bind.
As for the ball end for the linkage, they should be available at a parts store. They will probably be in the racks at the front with other common fittings; you might have to get a matched set if they don't have the specific size, but odds are that it's fairly common.

OP
OP
Z

zook&pepper

Something caused the governor to grenade, until the source is found it will keep blowing them up. It's amazing that Bobcat replaced a non-defective part; maybe they felt bad about the price rodgering.
What I would do is remove the governor, turn the engine over by hand and see what's happening with the governor actuation. Chances are there is something that is worn or damaged to cause it to operate outside it's orbit and it's contacting the gov housing or making something bind.
As for the ball end for the linkage, they should be available at a parts store. They will probably be in the racks at the front with other common fittings; you might have to get a matched set if they don't have the specific size, but odds are that it's fairly common.
I took your advice and turned the engine over manually and checked out the governor actuation. I got the linkage connected via "Jimmy Rigging", crossed my fingers and fired her up. So far so good! Thanks bro! Although now the issue is that when I try turning, the machine seems to be struggling and making a whining noise. Any ideas what might be going on? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I took your advice and turned the engine over manually and checked out the governor actuation. I got the linkage connected via "Jimmy Rigging", crossed my fingers and fired her up. So far so good! Thanks bro! Although now the issue is that when I try turning, the machine seems to be struggling and making a whining noise. Any ideas what might be going on? Thanks
The whining noise is probably just the hydrostatic drive, they do make noise.
Was it making noise before? or is the noise coming from the engine?
Good to hear bobcat replaced the govenor, glad you didn't need to buy another new one!

craigb93

The whining noise is probably just the hydrostatic drive, they do make noise.
Was it making noise before? or is the noise coming from the engine?
Good to hear bobcat replaced the govenor, glad you didn't need to buy another new one!
DEFINATELY fill your governor with 30wt engine oil before running it. There are three pipe plugged taps. Fill through the topmost one until oil runs out of the center one. Check it every time you check the engine oil.

OP
OP
Z

zook&pepper

DEFINATELY fill your governor with 30wt engine oil before running it. There are three pipe plugged taps. Fill through the topmost one until oil runs out of the center one. Check it every time you check the engine oil.
Awesome! thanks guys. Is the Hydrostatic drive difficult/expensive fix?

Tazza

Staff member
Its been so long since I've ran the machine that i don't remember if it was whining at first. Will too much hydrostatic fluid cause problems?
Too much oil won't make it Whine, low can do or air in the system will.
They can be worked on if there is a problem, run it a bit and see if the noise goes away first.
With the cab up, on the pump, is there a square block with 3 hoses on the left? or is there a big fat hose on the left side?

Dave1234

I nave another question on governors--I have the gas engine. on the rear of the governor (towards the front of the machine) the overflow opening has a 90 Degree elbow screwed into it, pointing up, effectively making the oil level inside about 1" deeper when it overflows than if it had a straight plug. Is anyone elses like this from the factory, or did someone add it and I should probably remove it? I just filled it and it was quite low, but now wonder if I should remove the elbow and let the oil drain down.
Thank you

wings5j

hi Dave, my first thought is that it shouldn't have been low unless it is leaking. Perhaps someone added the elbow to make servicing easier but you are correct in that the elbow would affect the fill level.

Mine has a plain plug and I believe that is stock.

For what it's worth. Good luck,

John

brdgbldr

I nave another question on governors--I have the gas engine. on the rear of the governor (towards the front of the machine) the overflow opening has a 90 Degree elbow screwed into it, pointing up, effectively making the oil level inside about 1" deeper when it overflows than if it had a straight plug. Is anyone elses like this from the factory, or did someone add it and I should probably remove it? I just filled it and it was quite low, but now wonder if I should remove the elbow and let the oil drain down.
Thank you
I looked at the parts manuals and some of the 742s' had elbows in the back of the governors. These elbows had plugs in them though.

Take a look at the parts catalog for reference. Just type in your serial number and then search "governor":

Dave1234

Thank you for digging in. My elbow does have a plug, It sounds like probably came stock with an elbow. Guess I'll leave it on and assume the low oil is from lack of maintenance by the previous owners. I will see just how much it leaks then look into new seals.

brdgbldr

Thank you for digging in. My elbow does have a plug, It sounds like probably came stock with an elbow. Guess I'll leave it on and assume the low oil is from lack of maintenance by the previous owners. I will see just how much it leaks then look into new seals.
In my experience with these older machines. The governor is probably the most neglected. I've had people that did not even realize that there was a mechanical governor, let alone that it takes maintenance. It's not even listed in the "Bobcat Technical Service Guide".

If I remember correctly, the governor is supposed to have 80W gear oil put in it.

craigb93

As I noted up-thread years ago, plain 30 wt oil is the correct lube. The governor was made by Hoof.Maybe some information is still on-line. There was a service and maintenance article at one time.