732 1.6L ford engine compatability

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

First off my name is Bob and I run Crossroads Builder in central Illinois well ....the old 1.6L ford engine in my Bobcat is about toast I believe. All cylinders where at 45 PSI when my son in law started in on it so he wet tested it and had no change. He pulled the head and I had it re worked but used the old metal head gasket at re install (I know I thought about this but it was tuff to get the new one quick and he said it looked fine). Now he has little or no compression ....I believe this is the kent engine but I'm just not sure ....he's bringing it back down to my shop today so I can get my hands on it and I'm thinking new engine ....but in the mean time I was thinking of trying a new head gasket and running this puppy in the ground .... any input on the engine or what might bolt up? How about the head gasket deal ...could the other gasket been so conformed from torquing that now its blowing out the sides? Could there be anything else I should look for on the upper end causing my lack of compression? Thanks a lot people for any input in advance and I really like the site

Hotrod1830

I recently looked into buying an old 632 with a blown 1.6 ford. It had a hole i n the block, so it was going to need another. I only found 1, and it may have needed a rebuild as well. They are simular to the ones used in the Ford pinto , so you should be able to find parts to rebuild yours. Rings and bearings are easily matched. A leakdown test would reveal where the low compression is coming from. Reusing the head gasket is the first place I would look. Also, dont know if tthey have adjustable valves or not, but if too tight you wont have any compression.

OldMachinist

I recently looked into buying an old 632 with a blown 1.6 ford. It had a hole i n the block, so it was going to need another. I only found 1, and it may have needed a rebuild as well. They are simular to the ones used in the Ford pinto , so you should be able to find parts to rebuild yours. Rings and bearings are easily matched. A leakdown test would reveal where the low compression is coming from. Reusing the head gasket is the first place I would look. Also, dont know if tthey have adjustable valves or not, but if too tight you wont have any compression.
You may want to verify the valve adjustment was done correctly when the head was put back on. I've seen people just tighten all the adjustment screws before.

Tazza

Staff member
You may want to verify the valve adjustment was done correctly when the head was put back on. I've seen people just tighten all the adjustment screws before.
I'm with OM on this too. If the wet test had no change it means the issue should be the head. As it was re-conditioned it should bring the compression up. If the valve clearance isn't correct, you may get no compression at all. I can't see you loosing all that compression between cylinders, you should still get something, even if the gasket is bad.
Check the clearance and work from there. I made that mistake before, i had my timing for the clearance out by 180 degrees, i was wondering why it wasn't running very well at all.

spring

The Engine in your Bobcat is a kent 1.6. It's similar to the 1978-80 ford fiesta with some minor changes to the block, water pump and head. The heads are almost identical aside from the Bobcat having slightly larger valves. you can use a Fiesta head gasket as this doesn't change when talking about coolant passages. The valves are adjustable and the stock Fiesta heads were susceptible to cracking because of heat. I replaced my Kent engine with a Fiesta and still runs great to this day.

Hotrod1830

The Engine in your Bobcat is a kent 1.6. It's similar to the 1978-80 ford fiesta with some minor changes to the block, water pump and head. The heads are almost identical aside from the Bobcat having slightly larger valves. you can use a Fiesta head gasket as this doesn't change when talking about coolant passages. The valves are adjustable and the stock Fiesta heads were susceptible to cracking because of heat. I replaced my Kent engine with a Fiesta and still runs great to this day.
Spring, Did the "bellhousing" and flywheel bolt up on the fiesta engine without any work? I read the bellhousing was changed on the fiesta engine. My one known Pinto engine was a mistake on the records part, so now I own a bobcat with a rod out the side. Still holding out on one more yard that says they have one though.

Hotrod1830

Spring, Did the "bellhousing" and flywheel bolt up on the fiesta engine without any work? I read the bellhousing was changed on the fiesta engine. My one known Pinto engine was a mistake on the records part, so now I own a bobcat with a rod out the side. Still holding out on one more yard that says they have one though.
Well, I guess Ill share my Ford fiesta expierence. First problem was the water pumps are different where it bolts to the block. One bolt hole is in the wrong spot. I had to use the gasket as a template and drill and tap another mounting hole. The block had the meat there, just no hole. The Ford fiesta pumps have the outlet pointing the wrong direction.
Second problem was the Bobcat oil pan will not fit the Fiesta Engine. The Crankshaft is shorter in the front, So the timing cover is in turn shorter. I couldnt use the bobcat cover as it was destroyed when the block cracked, But I dont think it would work with the crank snout being shorter. So I guess Ill have to use the Fiesta oil pan, which will require a remake of the oil drain tube. Not to mention the Bobcat oil pan was baffled alot differently than a car oil pan, and the sump is on the opposite end. Guess Ill see what happens there. The fiesta oil pan does have a baffle, But I am contemplating adding a baffle like the original just to be safe.
Third problem was the OIl pressure sensor hole has been moved on the fiesta block, So I had to make "room" on the engine mount bracket. No big deal there.
Fourth problem was the rear crankshaft flange is 1/4" shorter. The Bobcat flywheel centers on the outside edge of the crank, and the Fiesta crank being shorter didnt allow the room. flywheel hit the block before even coming close to being bolted fully. So I made a 1/4" spacer for the crank. Spacer centers on the crank "pilot" and in turn centers the flywheel. Had to get longer bolts to match.
So far that looks like thats it. Everthing else bolts up. Engine is just about ready to go in. If I run into any more problems Ill post again.

Hotrod1830

Well, I guess Ill share my Ford fiesta expierence. First problem was the water pumps are different where it bolts to the block. One bolt hole is in the wrong spot. I had to use the gasket as a template and drill and tap another mounting hole. The block had the meat there, just no hole. The Ford fiesta pumps have the outlet pointing the wrong direction.
Second problem was the Bobcat oil pan will not fit the Fiesta Engine. The Crankshaft is shorter in the front, So the timing cover is in turn shorter. I couldnt use the bobcat cover as it was destroyed when the block cracked, But I dont think it would work with the crank snout being shorter. So I guess Ill have to use the Fiesta oil pan, which will require a remake of the oil drain tube. Not to mention the Bobcat oil pan was baffled alot differently than a car oil pan, and the sump is on the opposite end. Guess Ill see what happens there. The fiesta oil pan does have a baffle, But I am contemplating adding a baffle like the original just to be safe.
Third problem was the OIl pressure sensor hole has been moved on the fiesta block, So I had to make "room" on the engine mount bracket. No big deal there.
Fourth problem was the rear crankshaft flange is 1/4" shorter. The Bobcat flywheel centers on the outside edge of the crank, and the Fiesta crank being shorter didnt allow the room. flywheel hit the block before even coming close to being bolted fully. So I made a 1/4" spacer for the crank. Spacer centers on the crank "pilot" and in turn centers the flywheel. Had to get longer bolts to match.
So far that looks like thats it. Everthing else bolts up. Engine is just about ready to go in. If I run into any more problems Ill post again.
And then it suddenly hit me....... the snout is shorter and thats it. The Pulley still bottoms out on the timing chain sprocket so the pulley will end up at the same distance fron the timing cover. So maybe Ill see if I can get the bobcat timing cover welded up and use the original oil pan. That would make me feel ALOT better.

spring

And then it suddenly hit me....... the snout is shorter and thats it. The Pulley still bottoms out on the timing chain sprocket so the pulley will end up at the same distance fron the timing cover. So maybe Ill see if I can get the bobcat timing cover welded up and use the original oil pan. That would make me feel ALOT better.
Hi, just checked back and saw your posts. The bell housing is the same, you will have to make a modification to the motor mounts no big deal though. you are right about the oil pan and timing cover. you will need to use the one from the bobcat engine along with the oil pan. the spacer is .250 and can be made from the other balancer, just cut it off and surface grind it smooth. Let me know if you need any parts. I have two ford fiesta blocks in my garage still. Thought i was going to buy another bobcat and do the change over but never found one.

spring

Hi, just checked back and saw your posts. The bell housing is the same, you will have to make a modification to the motor mounts no big deal though. you are right about the oil pan and timing cover. you will need to use the one from the bobcat engine along with the oil pan. the spacer is .250 and can be made from the other balancer, just cut it off and surface grind it smooth. Let me know if you need any parts. I have two ford fiesta blocks in my garage still. Thought i was going to buy another bobcat and do the change over but never found one.
Also, the valve cover for the bobcat needs to be used because the fill hole is in the back on the fiesta one.

bobcat763

Also, the valve cover for the bobcat needs to be used because the fill hole is in the back on the fiesta one.
I think its the same engine as a FORD Cortina a English Ford or the Pinto try a old FORD Fiesta or CORTINA

Hotrod1830

I think its the same engine as a FORD Cortina a English Ford or the Pinto try a old FORD Fiesta or CORTINA
Well, its in and running. Overlooked a few things when I was fitting it.
The Dipstick on the Fiesta block is on the front. Bobcat dipstick is in the rear. I thought there would be enough room in the pan to allow the fiesta dipstick to work. Short answer.... No, there wasnt. So I had to drill the block for a Dipstick and tube. I had one laying around for another project I didnt use. Drill a hole in the block(block has a boss, just not drilled) the same size as the dipstick tube. Youll need to insert the tube and put a slight bend in it so the stick goes almost straight into the crankcase and fits thru the hole in the baffled oil pan. Make the dipstick read "full" at 3 3/8" from the oil pan rail. You wont be able to reuse the bobcat dipstick, as the block will not allow the hole in the same location. tap the old dipstick hole in the front with a 1/8" pipe tap and plug it.

I found a used Timing cover. Come to find out the fiesta uses a different bolt pattern on the timing cover as well. You will need to drill 1 new hole for the timing cover. Use the cover a template.
Forgot to mention that the Fiesta oil pump will not work. The oil filter is at a different angle and will hit the engine mount, so you will need to reuse the bobcat oil pump.
The spacer for the front crank pulley on mine was .125". I cut it off the fiesta pulley in the lathe. The fiesta pulley will not work on the bobcat front cover.
So to recap: When installing a 78-80 Fiesta engine in place of the original 1.6 Ford bobcat engine
1)Rear crank spacer (.250") because crank is shorter in rear.
2)Must reuse bobcat oil pan and pick-up. as well as valve cover.
3) Front cover will need 1 new hole drilled, use the cover a a template.
4) Must reuse Bobcat oil pump
5) Must use Bobcat water pump, and drill 1 new hole in block, use water pump gasket as template.
6) Must drill block for new dipstick, set "full" level at 3 3/8" from oil pan rail.
7) .125" spacer for front crank pulley, Make using Fiesta pulley.
In short, try to Find a Ford pinto 1.6, or 70-72 Mercury capri 1.6, they are a direct fit.

Tazza

Staff member
Well, its in and running. Overlooked a few things when I was fitting it.
The Dipstick on the Fiesta block is on the front. Bobcat dipstick is in the rear. I thought there would be enough room in the pan to allow the fiesta dipstick to work. Short answer.... No, there wasnt. So I had to drill the block for a Dipstick and tube. I had one laying around for another project I didnt use. Drill a hole in the block(block has a boss, just not drilled) the same size as the dipstick tube. Youll need to insert the tube and put a slight bend in it so the stick goes almost straight into the crankcase and fits thru the hole in the baffled oil pan. Make the dipstick read "full" at 3 3/8" from the oil pan rail. You wont be able to reuse the bobcat dipstick, as the block will not allow the hole in the same location. tap the old dipstick hole in the front with a 1/8" pipe tap and plug it.

I found a used Timing cover. Come to find out the fiesta uses a different bolt pattern on the timing cover as well. You will need to drill 1 new hole for the timing cover. Use the cover a template.
Forgot to mention that the Fiesta oil pump will not work. The oil filter is at a different angle and will hit the engine mount, so you will need to reuse the bobcat oil pump.
The spacer for the front crank pulley on mine was .125". I cut it off the fiesta pulley in the lathe. The fiesta pulley will not work on the bobcat front cover.
So to recap: When installing a 78-80 Fiesta engine in place of the original 1.6 Ford bobcat engine
1)Rear crank spacer (.250") because crank is shorter in rear.
2)Must reuse bobcat oil pan and pick-up. as well as valve cover.
3) Front cover will need 1 new hole drilled, use the cover a a template.
4) Must reuse Bobcat oil pump
5) Must use Bobcat water pump, and drill 1 new hole in block, use water pump gasket as template.
6) Must drill block for new dipstick, set "full" level at 3 3/8" from oil pan rail.
7) .125" spacer for front crank pulley, Make using Fiesta pulley.
In short, try to Find a Ford pinto 1.6, or 70-72 Mercury capri 1.6, they are a direct fit.
Excellent job and very nice write up.
I'm sure that will help a few others out that may do this re-power down the track.

Hotrod1830

Excellent job and very nice write up.
I'm sure that will help a few others out that may do this re-power down the track.
Thanks Tazza.
I started to open up another thread, but figured it would be found here as well in a search.
One more thing, I reused the original Bobcat camshaft in the fiesta engine. The Bobcat is governed at 2500 rpm, and I wasnt sure what the fiesta camshaft would do at that low rpm power wise.

Latest posts