Ford 1.6L 2274e bobcat engine trouble

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
F

Ford Fanatic

Hey all, Almost got her figured out! My neighbor came over and we brainstormed over a couple beers, and came up with disconnecting the hydraulic pump from the engine. Fired it up and she sounded a lot better! Revved up to who knows who high, I wasn't paying attention to that... ended up setting timing to 4 degrees advanced at an idle speed of 750, adjusted idle air screw out til the vacuum gauge settled at 15 in hg, repeated the process a few times to get it dialed in perfectly, and it sounds like an engine again! It advances, retards, everything with the engine works exactly how it should without bastardizing the carburetor lol So now i gotta figure out what the hold up with the pump is, if the pump is the problem, or whatever else might be causing a deadhead issue or whatever.

So Thank you for all the information, helping me through learning about the vacuum gauge, how the timing advance etc on the distributor works etc... There is always another lesson to be learned. You guys are awesome. Thanks again!

dfb

Keep it simple, if the base timing spec is 0 degrees, set it to 0 degrees and observe what the vacuum gauge reads for manifold vacuum at that point. No need to concern yourself with the vacuum advance or mechanical advance at that point. If you are using the pcv hose your gauge should not be teed into it but reading directly with no leaks. All you are trying to do is use the vacuum reading{in inches of Hg} at idle to indicate what is going on in the engine. I might be misinterpreting your posted test results because they seem to be conflicting answers.

dfb

Glad you got the engine performance sorted out, it will be interesting to hear what you find out with the pump.

OP
OP
F

Ford Fanatic

Yep...so the gear pump has two outlets. one is larger than the other, and orignally when I plumbed it in, I plugged the smaller port, and used the larger one for the boom functions. once the engine was running so half, I wasn't getting fluid to my control valves, and found the smaller port leaking. So I switched ports, plugged the larger one and used the smaller one. Thats how it was up until the weekend. There was some fluid flow, but not much. So I plumbed the smaller of the two ports directly back to the tank and the engine still runs just like it's supposed to. It also pumps a lot more fluid through the valves and the boom functions are much quicker. So that was my whole problem-gear pump was deadheading. Didn't know that gear pumps could direct flow to two ports individually, but still deadhead when one was blocked. I figured I would just get more flow through the 5/8" hose. whoops...but I'm still learning about this stuff. I guess it acts like a flow divider in a way. Anyway, they are calling for slop tomorrow around here, so depending how much we get, I might get a chance to use it, or at least play a little bit. Thanks again Sir

FF

Latest posts