5635 SXT with Random Loss of Power

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TriHonu

My neighbor has a 5635 SXT Series II, about 600 hours total time on the unit. The unit starts and will run fine. While using the loader the engine will suddenly bog down to the point that it will almost kill and the exhaust will turn to thick white smoke.
If you stop traveling or stop any hydraulic load the motor will slowly clear itself and then return to normal power.
There seems to be no pattern as to when this occurs.
He has replaced the engine electronic control relay ($250). The original was not sealed and when he was cleaning the electrical contacts found the water had gotten into the unit and caused serious corrosion. He has also replaced the fuel filter and topped off with fresh fuel from another supplier. He also adds Power Service fuel conditioner with every fill.
Because the problem is intermittent, we are leaning toward the theory that there is an injector sticking open.
What do you think?

jwfarm

If water has gotten into the fuel tank and there are signs of corrosion, I would drain the fuel tank and flush it out completely and blow it out and do it all again. Then replace filters. I am not sure about this model of gehl, but our 2076 has an inline plastic filter that screws into bolt that goes into the inlet line for the fuel filter. This plastic filter will plug before the filter does. When it plugs it will starve it for fuel and loose power. White smoke usually means water in the fuel somehow. Water in the fuel can be a nightmare and do a lot of damage. We had an old underground tank that started taking in water when it rained.- We have paid for a new tank several times over with all the problems that water caused in our fuel a couple of years ago. Good luck.

Tazza

Staff member
If water has gotten into the fuel tank and there are signs of corrosion, I would drain the fuel tank and flush it out completely and blow it out and do it all again. Then replace filters. I am not sure about this model of gehl, but our 2076 has an inline plastic filter that screws into bolt that goes into the inlet line for the fuel filter. This plastic filter will plug before the filter does. When it plugs it will starve it for fuel and loose power. White smoke usually means water in the fuel somehow. Water in the fuel can be a nightmare and do a lot of damage. We had an old underground tank that started taking in water when it rained.- We have paid for a new tank several times over with all the problems that water caused in our fuel a couple of years ago. Good luck.
I assume its not a turbo machine?
Its possible its an injector, just weird that it clears its self if you back off the load a bit.
It wouldn't hurt pulling the injectors and looking at them for any obvious signs of one leaking?

OP
OP
TriHonu

TriHonu

I assume its not a turbo machine?
Its possible its an injector, just weird that it clears its self if you back off the load a bit.
It wouldn't hurt pulling the injectors and looking at them for any obvious signs of one leaking?
JWFARM - we thought it might be water last fall. However we are located in Minnesota and have not been above freezing for a while. Any water would now be ice at the bottom of the tank. The machine still has the same symptoms.
TAZZA - It has a turbocharged Deutz. Why do you ask?

Tazza

Staff member
JWFARM - we thought it might be water last fall. However we are located in Minnesota and have not been above freezing for a while. Any water would now be ice at the bottom of the tank. The machine still has the same symptoms.
TAZZA - It has a turbocharged Deutz. Why do you ask?
I was thinking if there was a turbo issue it could be causing the smoke. If its not boosting correctly there will not be enough oxygen to burn the fuel, but it should be black smoke. If its burning engine oil it could be white/blue with the same turbo issue.
It may be an idea to remove the inlet manifold and check for oil, even feel the turbines on the turbo, see if it has any free play at all.

landtekk

I was thinking if there was a turbo issue it could be causing the smoke. If its not boosting correctly there will not be enough oxygen to burn the fuel, but it should be black smoke. If its burning engine oil it could be white/blue with the same turbo issue.
It may be an idea to remove the inlet manifold and check for oil, even feel the turbines on the turbo, see if it has any free play at all.
Both of my 5635's are Duetz powered and are direct injected. The turbo is a place to start but I'd check out the aux controls to make sure they aren't activating. My HI-flow lever can and has been bumped by my knee, causing it to dog out. Probably not the problem though. I have had very few issues with the engines and did change the timing belt in one. Good luck