Sight glass leak on Gehl 5635

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Beltonkid

My Gehl 5635 skid steer has a leak from around the sight glass.

I bought a repair manual after trying to remove the 2 bolts on the sight glass. Those bolts just turn but will not loosen or tighten, so, I assume the sight glass bolts have a nut behind the plate on which the sight glass is mounted. The manual has no info regarding this issue other than a diagram of it in relation to the hydraulic system.

I have attached a pic of the sight glass and the plate it seems to be attached to. So, I took out the lowest bolt on that plate and drained about 3 1/2 gallons of fluid. I then removed all the bolts. All the bolts removed had about 1/4 inch of black gasket maker type material on the end of each bolt. This plate has the sight glass and the filler neck on it. It seems that this plate may be tightly held to the rest of the hydraulic tank by the gasket maker material. Am I correct in thinking I need to use a metal scraper and force it around the edge of this plate until it comes loose? I can hold onto or tie off the plate using the filler neck for the hyd. fluid.

I don't want to tear something up but I have no way to take it to a shop and we live about 35 miles from a town so I have struggled to find a mechanic.
Gehl sight glass.jpg