Gehl 5635 Drive issue/ Hydraulic leak

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dagger440

Hello. I am new to the forum. I bought a Gehl 5635SXT skid steer 2 years ago. It turned out to be half rust and I just spent the last number of months taking out the engine, etc and cleaning everything up.
I was out in the woods on a hill side, slide down the hill. On my way coming out of the mess I slid into, I hit a small washout. In this wash out I heard a pop. It wasnt real loud, but noticeable. The skid steer would no longer drive the forward or backwards. The bucket would lift and tilt just fine. As I got out and looked around, hydraulic fluid was flowing out of the skid plate. I shut it off. Lifted the cab and looking around, I can not find any hoses that were broken. I filled the hydraulic reservoir with 2 more gallons of fluid, but still dont see any fluid coming out. At this point the skid steer wont turn over.
Could this leaking be a relief valve having issues? Both sides didnt work so I find it hard to thinks it was a main line going to the drive motor. Thoughts? Its not in a spot to easily work on and just pulling the pump will be a challenge.
Thank you.

foton

I would suggest that you get a large machine and carefully move it to a safer area to work on it. I got a feeling you have a major repair.

Firefighter

probably blew a hose to one of drive motors and lost charge pressure to both sides
not sure tho why the engine won't turn over

Jpuck64

This is pretty ironic, but I had the same exact issue on my gehl 6640. Around July the 9th 2022. I'm wondering if you had any luck figuring out what happened to your machine. Im just now getting around to messing with it.

River Fluid Power

Not sure why the engine won't turn over. The pop could have been a shaft seal on the pump. It would most likely only leak oil while running. If a hose blew, it would also not likely leak more without the engine running, as no more oil can get into the loop when the pump is not turning.