310 Parking Brake

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BKreitz

I just bought a Bobcat 310. Everything works well except the parking brake. Is there any way to easily adjust? How does the brake actually work? I drained all hydraulic fluid but still can't see or tell anything. Also, how do you know when the levers are in neutral? And how to adjust so it doesn't creep? Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated as it is just sitting in garage right now with no fluids. Thanks ahead of time.

Hotrod1830

does the lever not stay up, or does it not work at all, even if you hold the lever up? If the later, you will need to pull the chain case cover and inspect the locking pawl. If the lever will not stay up,but the brake works, the pawl lever inside the chain case is probably bent. On my old 310, if that happened, I could pull on the lever hard enough to bend the pawl back over the spring center and it would hold. It happens when you try to move with the parking brake engaged. Wouldnt hurt to pop of the chain case and have a look at it and see how it works. Pretty simple mechanism.

Hotrod1830

does the lever not stay up, or does it not work at all, even if you hold the lever up? If the later, you will need to pull the chain case cover and inspect the locking pawl. If the lever will not stay up,but the brake works, the pawl lever inside the chain case is probably bent. On my old 310, if that happened, I could pull on the lever hard enough to bend the pawl back over the spring center and it would hold. It happens when you try to move with the parking brake engaged. Wouldnt hurt to pop of the chain case and have a look at it and see how it works. Pretty simple mechanism.
btw, the parking brake operates by a lever that makes a pawl make contact with the main drive sprocket inside the chain case. it is literally a lever with a couple chain links on it that contact the chain sprocket and locks it. they are easily bent though.