2044 foot controls

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wirenut

hi guys......is there any way to adjust the throw on the foot controls......left control, the angle on the foot control is such that I can't seem to pivot my foot and keep good steady control.......right one seems a little better.......is this just because I am right handed and have better dexterity on the right side?.......not too sure I like the foot controls

Rookie

I remember reading in the manual about this. I have the same problem with "float" on the left pedal. I think you can adjust the cables or cable linkage.

OP
OP
W

wirenut

I remember reading in the manual about this. I have the same problem with "float" on the left pedal. I think you can adjust the cables or cable linkage.
thanks for getting back rookie........I will check the manual........how are you making out with your unit? It has rained so much and my property is so wet, haven't been able to play yet.......have a huge pile to move from back to front........still trying to learn how to operate my 2044.......smoothly!.......

Rookie

thanks for getting back rookie........I will check the manual........how are you making out with your unit? It has rained so much and my property is so wet, haven't been able to play yet.......have a huge pile to move from back to front........still trying to learn how to operate my 2044.......smoothly!.......
Ya, so far - so good. Just got the oil analysis reports back: Hydraulic oil is good for another 500 hrs., and engine oil is good for another 250 hrs.. It's been pretty wet around here too, been playing between raindrops. Got batter boards up yesterday, need to do some finish grading. Pray for sun!

OP
OP
W

wirenut

Ya, so far - so good. Just got the oil analysis reports back: Hydraulic oil is good for another 500 hrs., and engine oil is good for another 250 hrs.. It's been pretty wet around here too, been playing between raindrops. Got batter boards up yesterday, need to do some finish grading. Pray for sun!
has anybody taken the foot pedals off? I have a lot of mud down under the pedals I want to clean out, Tried to take the two bolts out and they are really tight, couldn't break loose with a regular socket (not enough leverage) and didn't want to mess something up! Can I use and impact gun on them? Wanna clean it out because left pedal sticks and doesn have same feel as right pedal. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Jyuma

has anybody taken the foot pedals off? I have a lot of mud down under the pedals I want to clean out, Tried to take the two bolts out and they are really tight, couldn't break loose with a regular socket (not enough leverage) and didn't want to mess something up! Can I use and impact gun on them? Wanna clean it out because left pedal sticks and doesn have same feel as right pedal. Any thoughts would be appreciated
I just went through this with my loader (different brand but the crud under the pedals doesn't care about brand).
emotion-1.gif

Like you, my pedals didn't feel the same either and oddly enough it was the left pedal that felt the worse of the two. I removed all the sheet metal that covers the linkages and then went to work with a long screwdriver and a shop vac. The dirt was caked under the pedals so hard that at times I thought it was cement that had gotten under there somehow.
As I dug through the hardened mixture of rocks, dirt and oil, the shop vac picked up the debris. It took about an hour but I did get most of it out. That's when I went for the power washer. As long as you are careful not to point that dang thing at any seals the power washer does a fantastic job of cleaning the linkages and the bottom of the loader under the peddles. It's worth repeating though... be very careful where you aim the stream of water and never point it at any seals.
After the bottom dried I coated everything with some light oil (WD40) and my pedals are back to normal.
I don't know if any of this is applicable to your machine but it worked miracles on mine.
emotion-11.gif

skidsteer.ca

I just went through this with my loader (different brand but the crud under the pedals doesn't care about brand).
Like you, my pedals didn't feel the same either and oddly enough it was the left pedal that felt the worse of the two. I removed all the sheet metal that covers the linkages and then went to work with a long screwdriver and a shop vac. The dirt was caked under the pedals so hard that at times I thought it was cement that had gotten under there somehow.
As I dug through the hardened mixture of rocks, dirt and oil, the shop vac picked up the debris. It took about an hour but I did get most of it out. That's when I went for the power washer. As long as you are careful not to point that dang thing at any seals the power washer does a fantastic job of cleaning the linkages and the bottom of the loader under the peddles. It's worth repeating though... be very careful where you aim the stream of water and never point it at any seals.
After the bottom dried I coated everything with some light oil (WD40) and my pedals are back to normal.
I don't know if any of this is applicable to your machine but it worked miracles on mine.
Ye a little lube on the linkages goes a long way. I have seen the pivots worn right out from being in mud. They rust and grind themselves away until they are so sloppy they are useless.
Skidsteer.ca

OP
OP
W

wirenut

hey, thanks for responding.....sounds like the same problem.......did you take the actual foot pedal off? I have 2 bolts right in the middle of the pedal itself.....if that came off It would be a lot easier to get in there with shop vac and long screwdriver to clean out around linkage........those bolts are really tight and can't get proper leverage on them to get them off.....was gonna go at it with impact gun........but didn't want to bend anything.....is that possible?

Rookie

hey, thanks for responding.....sounds like the same problem.......did you take the actual foot pedal off? I have 2 bolts right in the middle of the pedal itself.....if that came off It would be a lot easier to get in there with shop vac and long screwdriver to clean out around linkage........those bolts are really tight and can't get proper leverage on them to get them off.....was gonna go at it with impact gun........but didn't want to bend anything.....is that possible?
The bolts are a serrated washer-head self locking design. Really hard to break loose after a long time tight. I coat the threads liberally with anti-sieze when I reinstall them. I remove the pedals and sheet metal for cleaning periodically. Good maintenance practice.

Jyuma

The bolts are a serrated washer-head self locking design. Really hard to break loose after a long time tight. I coat the threads liberally with anti-sieze when I reinstall them. I remove the pedals and sheet metal for cleaning periodically. Good maintenance practice.
My machine is a 1987 and to the best of my knowledge the pedals have never been removed.
Even though I know that the pedals are removable, they look like they grew there and I would hate to break something while trying to remove pedals that don't really need to be removed.
The power washer has a long thin nozzle and can easily reach around and under the pedals. Keep everything down there clean and coated with light lube and leave those pedals right where they grew.
emotion-2.gif

Rookie

My machine is a 1987 and to the best of my knowledge the pedals have never been removed.
Even though I know that the pedals are removable, they look like they grew there and I would hate to break something while trying to remove pedals that don't really need to be removed.
The power washer has a long thin nozzle and can easily reach around and under the pedals. Keep everything down there clean and coated with light lube and leave those pedals right where they grew.
Ha ha, your call. But they will have to come out someday, and the longer they sit the worse they will get. I'm not making this up. Another thing: there is no better dirt magnet than a light coating of lube. FWIW.

OP
OP
W

wirenut

Ha ha, your call. But they will have to come out someday, and the longer they sit the worse they will get. I'm not making this up. Another thing: there is no better dirt magnet than a light coating of lube. FWIW.
hey, rookie, thanks.......I got them off with an impact gun.......you're right....they put locktite on the bolts.......anti seize is a good idea.....will do that next time I take off......I took the cover off and cleaned all out under it......was ridiculous.......you are right about light coat of oil being a magnet.....bad idea.......I found 2 nuts, a cap screw and washer (looked almost new) piece of insulation and some type of wire connector with a wire on the end of it down under everything.........don't know where that cap screw came from