2018 Bobcat E26 - Weak Hydraulics

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dameon

I know this is a middle-weight mini-ex, but I've watched YouTube videos of the E26 working and I feel like mine is much weaker than what the videos show.

One telltale sign is the left track motor/function. I can make a left turn like a mofo, but left turns are quite difficult. Another sign is that I can't tilt the machine by picking up the front using the boom. It doesn't seem to have enough power to lift. If I track forward slightly, while lifting with the boom, it can slowly raise it up. Another thing I've noticed is that it won't do much unless the motor is tach'd up pretty high. I usually operate at 2K+rpm, but I would expect it would have some functionality at a lower rpm albeit slower.

How would I qualify my suspicions? I do suspect that something might be going on with the big divertor block that the two drive handles mount to because the left handle seems to flop a bit (front to back) while the right handle seems fairly tight. The track issues might be due to the left handle (and related internal valves) not fully opening.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

River Fluid Power

It sounds like you have a weak pump. The best way to check the pump is to put a flow meter with a needle valve and gauge in the pressure line so you can load it without using the machine functions. The giveaway is that you lose a lot of flow as you increase the load to system pressure by slowly closing the needle valve. I believe your machine has a pressure compensated pump, so it will eventually drop to nearly zero psi when you shut the needle valve off on the flow meter. You will need to know what your machine system pressure normally runs at to watch for a premature drop in flow. That pressure should be above 2000 psi, so if you drop most of your flow at 2000 psi, that would point to a pump problem.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

Thanks for the response... I don't have a flow meter or pressure gauge, so I took it someone who does. Yes, the pump does seem to be failing... shame after so few hours of use. I don't know why I keep buying Bobcat equipment and wondering why I have these type of short term usage failures. Maybe Kubota and others have the same issues?

Anyway, to buy me some time, he cranked the pressure regulator as tight as it would go. The pump is $3500+ from Bobcat. I'll start the search for someone to rebuild it or keep an eye out for a rebuilt or low hour pump.

River Fluid Power

Thanks for the response... I don't have a flow meter or pressure gauge, so I took it someone who does. Yes, the pump does seem to be failing... shame after so few hours of use. I don't know why I keep buying Bobcat equipment and wondering why I have these type of short term usage failures. Maybe Kubota and others have the same issues?

Anyway, to buy me some time, he cranked the pressure regulator as tight as it would go. The pump is $3500+ from Bobcat. I'll start the search for someone to rebuild it or keep an eye out for a rebuilt or low hour pump.
You're welcome. Just so you know, turning up the pressure regulator is a good way to wear the pump out even faster. It should be set at the lowest possible pressure to do the job. So you will need to have it turned back down if you get a replacement pump.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

Yes, understood. Thanks for the reminder.

My hope is that I can find a local place that can rebuild a "standard" hydraulic pump. I live in the heart of Southern Louisiana oilfield companies. Surely someone around here knows how to rebuild a pump.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

Okay, I'm working two angles on getting my pump rebuilt or replaced.

1) I've located and acquired a used pump that the previous owner said is "bad". He gave me the name of an established rebuilder in a town an hour or so from Lafayette. I haven't been able to reach them with the holidays and such. I'll keep working that angle. I also considered removing my current pump and bringing both to the rebuilder and ask him to make one good one or rebuild both and I'll sell the other one.

2) Since Bobcat has no ETA on their reman pumps (was 3 months, now 6 months) at ~$3200, I found a company that claims to have 10+ non-OEM pumps in stock, ready to ship, no core needed, free shipping, for $2435. They appear to be new pumps out of Korea. Anyone ever heard or dealt with them? https://shophydraulicamerica.com/bobcat-e26-main-pump/

Thanks for any thoughts...

Last edited:

haymaker

Who knows, since Bobcat has been Korean owned for over 10 years the Korean pump may actually be what they use now. It could probably be confirmed with an email or a bit more research.
Guess a lot would depend on the rebuild price.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

Who knows, since Bobcat has been Korean owned for over 10 years the Korean pump may actually be what they use now. It could probably be confirmed with an email or a bit more research.
Guess a lot would depend on the rebuild price.
That link all but claims that they are an OEM source, so you could be right. There is probably some legal document in place to keep them from divulging. I know the Bobcat OEM pump has NO markings that aren't Bobcat. I know Bobcat didn't build this pump. ;)

Actually, I just looked at the tag on the OEM pump I have in my shop and it says "Made in Japan". Maybe 2018 was pre-Doosan (Korean) influence. My E26 has the Kubota engine, so it was pre-DEF and pre-Doosan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

TRY LOADER SOURCE PARTS
They were my second effort (after the local Bobcat dealer).

LSP has the worse search engine I've ever seen. It's never given me usable results. I started with the part number "7209326", no results. Then I tried a variety of "Bobcat E26 pump" or just "Bobcat E26". All other search results were dozens of pages with many dozens of components. No main hydraulic pump. Even if they have one, it's likely going to be more than the local dealer... they had pumps for 331. 334. etc. and they were all ~$3500.

haymaker

That link all but claims that they are an OEM source, so you could be right. There is probably some legal document in place to keep them from divulging. I know the Bobcat OEM pump has NO markings that aren't Bobcat. I know Bobcat didn't build this pump. ;)

Actually, I just looked at the tag on the OEM pump I have in my shop and it says "Made in Japan". Maybe 2018 was pre-Doosan (Korean) influence. My E26 has the Kubota engine, so it was pre-DEF and pre-Doosan.

They switched from Kubota to the Doosan engine in my S510 in 2014 if I am not mistaken.
I was told the 2013 was the last production year for the Kubota. That's why I bought it.
Doosan bought Bobcat in 2008. I had a Daewoo at one time, which was a Doosan brand. It was a real workhorse.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

My dealer managed to get a new pump in last week! There was a waiting list for the pump, but I was on top...

1708382785313.png

This was one well secured package. Thick cardboard over wood framing. They are very generous with those massive shipper's staples.

1708382900308.png

I wonder how much machining debris is in the pump? My plan is to run the current filters and hydraulic fluid for a few hours and change everything out. Necessary?

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

I think a filter change would do it.
That would be great, except the filters seem to be at the lowest point in the system. I think gravity would flush the fluid as soon as I loosen the filters.

OP
OP
Dameon

Dameon

have it turned back down if you get a replacement pump.
I checked with the Bobcat Service Manager and he said the pressure regulator is built into the pump. Controlled by this nut...

1708442420710.png

It is set correctly from the factory, so a new pump is ready to go.

Latest posts