743B restoration help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

I think the couplers are called 1/2", but the female threaded end of the flat face couplers I gave you are #10 SAE female threads (which is 5/8"). So looks like what you need is 2 Bulkhead fittings, SAE J1926-1 straight thread O-ring port on one end and flared tube 5/8" on the other end. And you will need 2 "O" rings. You can call Discount Hydraulic Hose and ask them to verify what you need to connect the flat face couplers to the 5/8" steel tube (I'm no expert). Or order the fittings from Bobcat, 2 fittings 45K000007B, and 2 "O" rings 79K000010B, and 2 nuts 86000007B.
Thanks Bill, I think I will just go to Bobcat and see if they have some plugs for now so I can get the engine started. Progress is slow right now because work is picking up. I also found a pin hole in the radiator. UGH

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Thanks Bill, I think I will just go to Bobcat and see if they have some plugs for now so I can get the engine started. Progress is slow right now because work is picking up. I also found a pin hole in the radiator. UGH
I just bought a used Tilt Cylinder off a 863. It has a seal leak at the top but it was only $75. Does anyone know if it will fit on the 743b?

wbecker

I just bought a used Tilt Cylinder off a 863. It has a seal leak at the top but it was only $75. Does anyone know if it will fit on the 743b?
Sorry, I bought a S160 and sold my 743B. You can look up the part numbers of both to compare at the Bobcat web sit. If you still need a 743B cylinder you can try Rodney Snider 618-565-2607, he has a Bobcat salvage yard.

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry, I bought a S160 and sold my 743B. You can look up the part numbers of both to compare at the Bobcat web sit. If you still need a 743B cylinder you can try Rodney Snider 618-565-2607, he has a Bobcat salvage yard.
I believe the 843 cylinder is a different size.

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

I believe the 843 cylinder is a different size.
Last night we made an attempt to turn the motor over. When I turned the key on a red light came on at the right panel. The engine stop solenoid made a clicking noise then we lost all power. After it charged for a few minuets, the solenoid made a clicking sound again. This is my first Bobcat so I'm not sure of the starting process. Maybe someone can send me a operators manual to see if I'm doing everything right. Something just don't seem right. Thanks

wbecker

Last night we made an attempt to turn the motor over. When I turned the key on a red light came on at the right panel. The engine stop solenoid made a clicking noise then we lost all power. After it charged for a few minuets, the solenoid made a clicking sound again. This is my first Bobcat so I'm not sure of the starting process. Maybe someone can send me a operators manual to see if I'm doing everything right. Something just don't seem right. Thanks
Sounds like you need to start with a good fully charged battery first. As I recall, turn the key switch to the left spring loaded position, that will energize the glow plug relay, hold it there for maybe 45 seconds or more. Turn the key to the right position and you should have 2 red lights, Low Charge Pressure and Low Oil Pressure, and voltmeter shows voltage, and you hear the fuel solenoid click. Turn it to the right start position and it should crank.

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Sounds like you need to start with a good fully charged battery first. As I recall, turn the key switch to the left spring loaded position, that will energize the glow plug relay, hold it there for maybe 45 seconds or more. Turn the key to the right position and you should have 2 red lights, Low Charge Pressure and Low Oil Pressure, and voltmeter shows voltage, and you hear the fuel solenoid click. Turn it to the right start position and it should crank.
Ok, Got it cranking. It was a weak battery. Now I'm having a problem finding the correct Fuel Filter. Went to NAPA and they gave me one with a hole all the way through it. The one I took off had no hole or drain in the bottom. Kinda looked like a oil filter. So I went back to NAPA and they gave me another one and the threads were too small. Can someone please tell me the right part number for the Fuel Filter at NAPA. The Bobcat dealer is too far from me. I'm hoping to get it started tomorrow morning. Thanks

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Ok, Got it cranking. It was a weak battery. Now I'm having a problem finding the correct Fuel Filter. Went to NAPA and they gave me one with a hole all the way through it. The one I took off had no hole or drain in the bottom. Kinda looked like a oil filter. So I went back to NAPA and they gave me another one and the threads were too small. Can someone please tell me the right part number for the Fuel Filter at NAPA. The Bobcat dealer is too far from me. I'm hoping to get it started tomorrow morning. Thanks
So the Motor started up and it runs great. Had to remove the gas tank and replace the broken tube. Now I have 2 hydraulic hoses leaking. Is there a good place to buy the rubber hoses at a reasonable price? Does anyone know if a oil filter can be used as a fuel filter? My spin on filter has 3/4" threads and I cant find a replacement anywhere.

Tazza

Staff member
So the Motor started up and it runs great. Had to remove the gas tank and replace the broken tube. Now I have 2 hydraulic hoses leaking. Is there a good place to buy the rubber hoses at a reasonable price? Does anyone know if a oil filter can be used as a fuel filter? My spin on filter has 3/4" threads and I cant find a replacement anywhere.
Hydraulic hoses, take them to a hydraulic shop and they can match them for you if they are cracked.
As for the filter, i'm not sure, i'd avoid it as they may not be compatible with fuel.

de03x7

http://www.amazon.com/Wix-24770-Filter-Mounting-Base/dp/B000CSGT64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432160482&sr=8-1&keywords=diesel+Fuel+Filter+Housing You might look into going this way with the filter. I replaced the one mine which was the type that you changed just the filter element with one like this and it has worked well.

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

http://www.amazon.com/Wix-24770-Filter-Mounting-Base/dp/B000CSGT64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432160482&sr=8-1&keywords=diesel+Fuel+Filter+Housing You might look into going this way with the filter. I replaced the one mine which was the type that you changed just the filter element with one like this and it has worked well.
Question, Will the engine not run good if the hydraulic fluid is very low? I have a small leak and heard the pump making noise and at the same time engine started running real bad and stalled. Now it wont start back up. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Question, Will the engine not run good if the hydraulic fluid is very low? I have a small leak and heard the pump making noise and at the same time engine started running real bad and stalled. Now it wont start back up. Thanks
If the hydraulics are engaged, it will make it hard to start and the pump will make noise.
Check the aux hydraulics are not engaged and the park brake is off if it creeps.

wbecker

Tazza is most likely right, you probably inadvertently moved the right steering lever to the right and got it in the aux detente, when that happens it makes noise and can stall the motor cuz the aux fluid has nowhere to go. Bump the right lever to the left and see it that cures it.

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Tazza is most likely right, you probably inadvertently moved the right steering lever to the right and got it in the aux detente, when that happens it makes noise and can stall the motor cuz the aux fluid has nowhere to go. Bump the right lever to the left and see it that cures it.
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure that was the problem. The AUX lines on the left arm are in bad shape. Can I remove them and plug them in the engine bay? I don't plan on using them any time soon.

wbecker

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure that was the problem. The AUX lines on the left arm are in bad shape. Can I remove them and plug them in the engine bay? I don't plan on using them any time soon.
Sure, you can remove the lines.

North Idaho Wolfman

If remove the lines, put a bolt in the right handle Aux control (side to side) to keep from inadvertently engaging it.

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

If remove the lines, put a bolt in the right handle Aux control (side to side) to keep from inadvertently engaging it.
So after replacing a few hoses, I noticed my left tilt cylinder leaking at the piston. I decided to rebuild both of them. I went to Bobcat and got 2 new rebuild kits. On the collar that unscrews from the cylinder housing there is a slot on the outside of it that takes 1 o-ring and a thin gasket together in the same slot. In the kit there is a green double o-ring gasket that I think replaces the old 2 piece gaskets. Does anyone know if this is correct? I can send a picture if needed. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
So after replacing a few hoses, I noticed my left tilt cylinder leaking at the piston. I decided to rebuild both of them. I went to Bobcat and got 2 new rebuild kits. On the collar that unscrews from the cylinder housing there is a slot on the outside of it that takes 1 o-ring and a thin gasket together in the same slot. In the kit there is a green double o-ring gasket that I think replaces the old 2 piece gaskets. Does anyone know if this is correct? I can send a picture if needed. Thanks
You are talking about the oring and backup ring that sits piston side of the threads? If so, yes i believe you are right.
There should be a smaler Oring that keeps water out of the threads to hopefully prevent it rusting over time and fusing to the cylinder too.

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

You are talking about the oring and backup ring that sits piston side of the threads? If so, yes i believe you are right.
There should be a smaler Oring that keeps water out of the threads to hopefully prevent it rusting over time and fusing to the cylinder too.
Yes, the new one is one piece but looks like 2 O-rings molded together, and it's green. All the other rings went on with no problems. Not much too it. I have a picture of it but can't get it in here.

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Yes, the new one is one piece but looks like 2 O-rings molded together, and it's green. All the other rings went on with no problems. Not much too it. I have a picture of it but can't get it in here.
I sent you a email tazz