743B restoration help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

antfarmer2

I have not drained the oil yet. But I did pull glow plug #1 and it looked great. Now for more bad news, I pulled glow plug #2 and rusty water started pouring out. So I'm thinking it's time to pull the head and see what kind of damage is in the cylinders. With the starter being stuck I thought I was home free. Oh well, On to the next mission. I will start taking pictures to make it more interesting. Going to the Doctor tomorrow but gonna try some wrenching tonight. lol
Drain it pb it and have the doc cort you wish you luck on both Ant

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Drain it pb it and have the doc cort you wish you luck on both Ant
Got the head off last night. 3 of the 4 cylinders had water in them. The head and valve train looks rusted solid. The cylinder wall on #4 looks to rusty to save. Oh well, Time to shop for a new motor. Where is the best place to look for a V1702 replacement?

antfarmer2

Got the head off last night. 3 of the 4 cylinders had water in them. The head and valve train looks rusted solid. The cylinder wall on #4 looks to rusty to save. Oh well, Time to shop for a new motor. Where is the best place to look for a V1702 replacement?
Put a 2203 I think the number is a few more ponies and more around have seen them on ebay right by me

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Stafford Va, 22556
I drained the oil today and about 3 quarts of antifreeze came out first. I don't see any cracks in the head and the head gasket don't look like it leaked anywhere. Is it possible for the sleeve to crack? The motor is still stuck and won't turn either way. also 2 of the sleeves look like they doped down about 1mm each. I guess I need to pull the pan next.

antfarmer2

I drained the oil today and about 3 quarts of antifreeze came out first. I don't see any cracks in the head and the head gasket don't look like it leaked anywhere. Is it possible for the sleeve to crack? The motor is still stuck and won't turn either way. also 2 of the sleeves look like they doped down about 1mm each. I guess I need to pull the pan next.
That engine is 36 hp the 2203 is 51 hp the 1702 heads are known to crack easy and you will have alot more in it than the $1500.00 that you can get the other for

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

That engine is 36 hp the 2203 is 51 hp the 1702 heads are known to crack easy and you will have alot more in it than the $1500.00 that you can get the other for
I'm real sure that I'm going to put a new motor in it. Can you tell me where you see them for $1500? I'm tearing this one down to see why it wont turn. Its got me wondering how all that Antifreez got in the oil pan. Just something to do while shopping for a new motor.

wbecker

I'm real sure that I'm going to put a new motor in it. Can you tell me where you see them for $1500? I'm tearing this one down to see why it wont turn. Its got me wondering how all that Antifreez got in the oil pan. Just something to do while shopping for a new motor.
Craigs list http://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/4504145644.html In St louis Craigs list I just put in Bobcat search in heavy equipment. It says #1250 and $130 for shipping to St Louis, don't know where you are. Bill Becker

antfarmer2

Craigs list http://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/4504145644.html In St louis Craigs list I just put in Bobcat search in heavy equipment. It says #1250 and $130 for shipping to St Louis, don't know where you are. Bill Becker
Ebay has some too they use them for refer so truckers may help they govern them down

antfarmer2

Do I have to stick with a 1702 or can I swap to a more powerful engine. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of parts to get a different motor to work.
Have you not been reading your thread.........the 2203 is 15 more hp than the 1702 and will swap parts off yours to fit

Tigerhaze

Have you not been reading your thread.........the 2203 is 15 more hp than the 1702 and will swap parts off yours to fit
FYI, the Craigslist link shows the place selling the engines is near (southeast of) Kansas City with a eastern Kansas area code on their phone but apparently they will ship to St. Louis.

antfarmer2

FYI, the Craigslist link shows the place selling the engines is near (southeast of) Kansas City with a eastern Kansas area code on their phone but apparently they will ship to St. Louis.
Can't sleep from my surgery so I found all you need on your local craigslist but is four hours away in new jersey 985-789-8464 Ant

pennyduke

Can't sleep from my surgery so I found all you need on your local craigslist but is four hours away in new jersey 985-789-8464 Ant
Thanks ant, I found this about the swap. I really don't want to have to modify anything. The major difference between a 1702-2203 is the rear main seal.To fit the rear mounting plate off a 1702 you will have to weld up and re-drill bolt holes around rear main seal housing.(2203 holes are a larger pitch dia.)The hole in the plate will also have to be machined to a bigger dia. as the rear main housing is a bigger dia on a 2203.Sumps and manifolds swap over.

antfarmer2

Thanks ant, I found this about the swap. I really don't want to have to modify anything. The major difference between a 1702-2203 is the rear main seal.To fit the rear mounting plate off a 1702 you will have to weld up and re-drill bolt holes around rear main seal housing.(2203 holes are a larger pitch dia.)The hole in the plate will also have to be machined to a bigger dia. as the rear main housing is a bigger dia on a 2203.Sumps and manifolds swap over.
I did not know that I thought you just changed the manifolds oil pan and rear houseing off the back and maby a new hole for the dip stick but the place I sent him claims to know all and might be able to do all the swapping for him and give him something for his old engine not that far away make a nice day trip if he could set it up

antfarmer2

I did not know that I thought you just changed the manifolds oil pan and rear houseing off the back and maby a new hole for the dip stick but the place I sent him claims to know all and might be able to do all the swapping for him and give him something for his old engine not that far away make a nice day trip if he could set it up
Ok just got off the phone with the guy he is closer to me in LA but has a engine in NJ that will work for you that front plate just needs to be ground out a bit and longate a coulple of holes no welding needed $1300 but will not trade up there or do any work but will down here Ant

antfarmer2

Ok just got off the phone with the guy he is closer to me in LA but has a engine in NJ that will work for you that front plate just needs to be ground out a bit and longate a coulple of holes no welding needed $1300 but will not trade up there or do any work but will down here Ant
If you don't want to grind the plate he has one done that he will sell you but I heard him giggle