743B restoration help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

If you don't want to grind the plate he has one done that he will sell you but I heard him giggle
I'm really wanting to stay with the V1702. I don't know what I will end up doing to get that motor to work. I have swapped many car motors and it's always a pain when its not the same motor going in as the one that came out.

antfarmer2

I'm really wanting to stay with the V1702. I don't know what I will end up doing to get that motor to work. I have swapped many car motors and it's always a pain when its not the same motor going in as the one that came out.
I have done a lot of research and told you what I have learned I would put in the 2203 because of the power the ease of doing and the price if you were close I would gladly trade my 1702 for a 2203 but it is your choice

Tazza

Staff member
I have done a lot of research and told you what I have learned I would put in the 2203 because of the power the ease of doing and the price if you were close I would gladly trade my 1702 for a 2203 but it is your choice
A V2203 will bolt right up, the pattern is the same i believe. You may need to swap sumps and a few other parts, but many have done the conversion. Depending on where you get the motor from, they will give you details of what needs to be done.

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

A V2203 will bolt right up, the pattern is the same i believe. You may need to swap sumps and a few other parts, but many have done the conversion. Depending on where you get the motor from, they will give you details of what needs to be done.
I talked to a guy today that sells used and rebuilt motors. Been doing it for about 30 years. He also said to go with the 2203. He has a used one that he converted to fit my 743B. He said it has been fully inspected and test run in his shop. He will also let me hear it run before I exchange mine for it. $1800 Sound like a deal?

antfarmer2

I talked to a guy today that sells used and rebuilt motors. Been doing it for about 30 years. He also said to go with the 2203. He has a used one that he converted to fit my 743B. He said it has been fully inspected and test run in his shop. He will also let me hear it run before I exchange mine for it. $1800 Sound like a deal?
Not bad he comming a bit more than what I found but you don't have to do anything just what you wanted go for it!!!!!!

reed2022

Got the head off last night. 3 of the 4 cylinders had water in them. The head and valve train looks rusted solid. The cylinder wall on #4 looks to rusty to save. Oh well, Time to shop for a new motor. Where is the best place to look for a V1702 replacement?
If you have not found a engine there is a place in Jackson Mo. I don't know the name of the place I saw it advertise on another forum. Just do a internet search it should come up. I would stay a way from the criaglists ads. In Florida last year there was a man that had bought one off Craigslist and they had problems.

oracle_of_ferndale

If you have not found a engine there is a place in Jackson Mo. I don't know the name of the place I saw it advertise on another forum. Just do a internet search it should come up. I would stay a way from the criaglists ads. In Florida last year there was a man that had bought one off Craigslist and they had problems.
I bought one of the 2203s from Tim in Jackson, MO. He has an ebay store at http://www.ebay.com/usr/transportrefrigerationdiscounts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559. Easy transaction. All in (with shipping and the 743 adapter plate) it was right at $2,000. Keep all of the parts from the 1702. You will need several. The tricky thing for me was/is connecting the air hose to the intake manifold. when I swapped the 1702 intake manifold with the 2203 intake manifold, the fuel injection lines did not fit around the 1702 manifold. The 1702 injection lines don't quite go on to the 2203. I am working on finding a hose extension that will connect the air filter to the 2203 manifold. Suggestions? Ant? Taz? OM?

reed2022

Surveyor call these guys 573-450-0140 I don't know anything about them so use your own judgement. Hope you get it running

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

With two sets of lines mix and match a bit of careful bending should do it
Been cleaning the engine bay for a few days. Looks like about a inch of nasty oil everywhere. I'm starting to see the white paint at the bottom. Still shopping for the best deal on a 2203 motor.

antfarmer2

Been cleaning the engine bay for a few days. Looks like about a inch of nasty oil everywhere. I'm starting to see the white paint at the bottom. Still shopping for the best deal on a 2203 motor.
If you pull the shroud there is two steel lines that cross at a 90 just to right of center clean and paint them and wedge a piece of rubber between them they fail there also a good time to give the rad and oil cooler a good cleaning

pennyduke

If you pull the shroud there is two steel lines that cross at a 90 just to right of center clean and paint them and wedge a piece of rubber between them they fail there also a good time to give the rad and oil cooler a good cleaning
Update: I found a guy here in Virginia that is rebuilding a 1901 motor for me and modifying it to fit my 743b for $2100. It should be ready in a few weeks. My machine has solid tires on it now in very bad shape. Can someone tell me how to remove those tires from the rims so I can put new air filled tires back on. I want to replace them with the original tires that came from the factory. Thanks for the help!!!

brdgbldr

Update: I found a guy here in Virginia that is rebuilding a 1901 motor for me and modifying it to fit my 743b for $2100. It should be ready in a few weeks. My machine has solid tires on it now in very bad shape. Can someone tell me how to remove those tires from the rims so I can put new air filled tires back on. I want to replace them with the original tires that came from the factory. Thanks for the help!!!
Some solid tires will not come off the rims. They are molded onto them. Also, the rims may not take a standard neumatic tire, i.e. tubeless or the rim may be an odd size. If they are foam filled, you can try to cut them off and then clean off the foam from the rims. You will probably be better off buying new rims and tires or finding a used set.

pennyduke

Some solid tires will not come off the rims. They are molded onto them. Also, the rims may not take a standard neumatic tire, i.e. tubeless or the rim may be an odd size. If they are foam filled, you can try to cut them off and then clean off the foam from the rims. You will probably be better off buying new rims and tires or finding a used set.
I'm trying to post a picture. Can someone tell me how to?

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Load on photo bucket and show image from there......you could have gotten a 2203 for under 1500 used not rebuilt
Update: The motor is just about ready to go in. Waiting on the new Starter and Altenator to arrive any day now. Question: Can someone tell me how the Hyd lines run from the tilt cylinder to the connection on the right side. My lines are missing and I don't see them in the parts manual. A picture and part number would be great help. Thanks

antfarmer2

Update: The motor is just about ready to go in. Waiting on the new Starter and Altenator to arrive any day now. Question: Can someone tell me how the Hyd lines run from the tilt cylinder to the connection on the right side. My lines are missing and I don't see them in the parts manual. A picture and part number would be great help. Thanks
Just two rubber lines that go up and over to the steel lines that go up the arm

antfarmer2

So they attach to the 2 lines off left arm? How do I tell which one attaches to the top and bottom of the tilt cylinder?
On my 743 the lines are on the right side when sitting in it you have a 50 50 chance of getting it right and easy to change if not I could look at mine but not sure if they changed from 743 to 743b