743B restoration help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

Got it, and yes, that is exactly the same as the one i got from the dealer too.
It must be a new design to help prevent customers putting the backup ring on the wrong side.
Thanks a bunch. On to the next cylinder... And next leak...

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

I thought it was 1/4"
So I got this 743b running almost perfect and all the hydrolic leaks fixed. I checked the chain case oil level and was shocked to find it empty. So I filled it up and now its leaking like crazy. The leak seems to be coming from the left side maybe 6 inches from the center. Just a slow steady drip through the 2 holes in the belly pan. What could this be? HELP!!!

wbecker

So I got this 743b running almost perfect and all the hydrolic leaks fixed. I checked the chain case oil level and was shocked to find it empty. So I filled it up and now its leaking like crazy. The leak seems to be coming from the left side maybe 6 inches from the center. Just a slow steady drip through the 2 holes in the belly pan. What could this be? HELP!!!
I don't know of any holes that should be there. What size are they? Do look like you could drill and tap them and screw in bolts?

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

I don't know of any holes that should be there. What size are they? Do look like you could drill and tap them and screw in bolts?
It looks like it has stopped leaking for now. I think I lost about a quart or two so far. That tells me that the leak must be up high. It seems to be coming from the top of the rear axle housing. There is way too much crud in there to get a good look. I going to dig it all out and clean it up real good and try to get a better look. Bill I will email you a pic of the 2 holes I'm talking about. They look like large drain holes made into the under belly. Thanks

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

It looks like it has stopped leaking for now. I think I lost about a quart or two so far. That tells me that the leak must be up high. It seems to be coming from the top of the rear axle housing. There is way too much crud in there to get a good look. I going to dig it all out and clean it up real good and try to get a better look. Bill I will email you a pic of the 2 holes I'm talking about. They look like large drain holes made into the under belly. Thanks
I'm sure it's the rear axle seals leaking. I cant seem to find a post that tells me how to replace them. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for all the help!!!

Tazza

Staff member
I'm sure it's the rear axle seals leaking. I cant seem to find a post that tells me how to replace them. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for all the help!!!
You're lucky that you have the B model. Loosen the bolt at the end of the axle, only a few turns. I then use two hydraulic bottle jacks with the pump part pointing down and mount them behind the axle hub. Pump it up and hit the bolt head with a hammer to shock it off.
This shows how i remove the hubs:
153_5302.jpg

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

You're lucky that you have the B model. Loosen the bolt at the end of the axle, only a few turns. I then use two hydraulic bottle jacks with the pump part pointing down and mount them behind the axle hub. Pump it up and hit the bolt head with a hammer to shock it off.
This shows how i remove the hubs:
Do I have to open the chain case? Should I replace the inner and outer bearings and seals?

Tazza

Staff member
Do I have to open the chain case? Should I replace the inner and outer bearings and seals?
If there is no axle hub play, no need to replace the bearings, just do the seal.
If you are just doing the seal, no need to open the chain case.

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

If there is no axle hub play, no need to replace the bearings, just do the seal.
If you are just doing the seal, no need to open the chain case.
Thanks Tazza, But I'm a little confused. My leak seems to be coming from directly under the chain case and not the outer axle. I'm pretty sure that replacing that outer seal will not stop the leak. I think its leaking where the axle tube goes into the chain case. What am I missing?

wbecker

Thanks Tazza, But I'm a little confused. My leak seems to be coming from directly under the chain case and not the outer axle. I'm pretty sure that replacing that outer seal will not stop the leak. I think its leaking where the axle tube goes into the chain case. What am I missing?

wbecker

I think we need a picture for this one. I don't know how to post pics on here, maybe you could email a picture to Tazza and ask if he would post it for you if you don't know how.

SkidRoe

I think we need a picture for this one. I don't know how to post pics on here, maybe you could email a picture to Tazza and ask if he would post it for you if you don't know how.
I do recall seeing another post regarding the same kind of leak, either from a cracked or rusted/worn through chain case.
Seems to me Bobcatdan weighed in on this one, as he had seen it before, too.
Welding a patch over the hole was the preferred repair method.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

I do recall seeing another post regarding the same kind of leak, either from a cracked or rusted/worn through chain case.
Seems to me Bobcatdan weighed in on this one, as he had seen it before, too.
Welding a patch over the hole was the preferred repair method.
HTH - SR
I just sent Tazza the pictures.

Tazza

Staff member
I just sent Tazza the pictures.
Ok, i see the leak. It's not the axle seal, but something higher up.
You really need to get in there and give it a good clean. Lift the cab and attack it with degreaser and a pressure washer.
There are hoses that are prone to cracking and leaking under the control block.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, i see the leak. It's not the axle seal, but something higher up.
You really need to get in there and give it a good clean. Lift the cab and attack it with degreaser and a pressure washer.
There are hoses that are prone to cracking and leaking under the control block.
 photo IMG_0719.jpg

photo IMG_0723.jpg

photo IMG_0722.jpg

photo IMG_0721.jpg

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

What hoses under the cab would have motor oil in them. It started leaking when I filled the empty chain case.

Tazza

Staff member
What hoses under the cab would have motor oil in them. It started leaking when I filled the empty chain case.
From the picture showing the back of the chain case, it looks like the oil is coming from higher up.
You filled the chain case, did you fill it to the bottom of the threads on the front plug? essentially half full. I wonder if you over filled it and it's leaking from the inspection covers.