743b issues electrical and other

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

So I have a 743b had it for many years always a hard starter but would always start.

Loaned it to a freind and it came back hard as hell to start. Swears he didn't use ether and I told him
Not to use ether. But litterally a couple hours messing w it w new glow plugs and it just wouldn't start

But while cranking it to start the starter stopped working

Turn the key nothing. No click nothing. Red Light at right side does dim though.
If I jump 12 volts from
Battery to excite terminal on starter (w 12 gauge wire) it'll kick the bendix out but won't turn the engine.
If I put a jumper cable directly to starter it will turn but dragged.

So I changed the starter.

Turn the key, won't crank or click or do anything. Red light dims.
Jump from 12 volts on battery w 12 gauge jumper wire, bendix kicks but starter won't turn.
Didn't try the jumper cables yet direct to starter.

I did turn the engine by hand w a wrench and it's not locked or anything.

Any thoughts?

Also anyone know how to remove the plastic surround around the. Key switch? I don't w at to break it trying to get it apart.

OP
OP

Figured out the problem with the starter not cranking it was the positive wire from the battery bleeding off voltage amperage. . As soon as I changed it it would crank with a jumper wire

Still got intermittent key starting and changed both relays and it now cranks just fine

Still will not start though I get plenty of grey smoke but no start.
Compression test is next . Have a hydro leak I need to find also probably the lines behind the engine can't find anything anywhere else.

mrbb

hard start can be a from a bunch of things, low fuel pressure, timing off, compression low, for a few tings to consider
or check

Tlawdogg

Yea, maybe try and set up a small boat type gas tank..hook directly to it. Make sure fresh Diesel is being delivered. "Idiot" could have put gas or who knows in it.

foton

pull off a sample of fuel and smell it diesel and gas do not smell like each other , and I guess do it in a glass jar and let it sit for a bit and see if there is any water in it too. It will seperate fairly quickly. I do not know where you are but the 1702 kubota does like pre heating when cold (min. 15 seconds)but should not need it when it has been run for a while.

OP
OP

Yeah I had changed glo plugs still no start.
So I built a grid heater for it and ran new fuel in a jug. I got it running but it's rough. Pours blow by out of the breather tube .

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpeg
    IMG_1191.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP

Here's the blow by, I actually did a trick we leaned worked do. Race cars and misted some water into the intake (fine mist) and it cleaned up the blow by a bit, it cleans carbon off
The pistons. So it's better than this picture and the second day started w just glow plugs but it runs rough when it first starts .

Attachments

• IMG_1457.png
    IMG_1457.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1457.png
    IMG_1457.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
OP
OP

I did t see the gas comments til after I had it running, after I hit it started on the tank o swapped back over to the in machine tanks and let it run til it almost ran out of fuel. Wanted to see if it would stay running. It ran for a good 2 hours . Next day started cold on glow plugs alone no grid heater.

I'm probably gonna limp it through this on I have then replace the engine w something DI idk if I'm better off w a 2203 or a 1902 or 1903 ? Thoughts ?

OP
OP

No because I didn't have a 8 mm adaptor and I was pretty sure based on blow by that it was toast. So the blow by kinda gave it away IMO

Tlawdogg

True. But maybe do a leak-down to confirm. Stuck valves I think could cause blow by too.
Before you replace.
Keep us posted.

foton

I would think about still doing a compression test,I think it would be good info. to have ,is it just one cylinder or more, if just one cylinder maybe a stuck ring and you could leave the other cylinders alone with any luck.

OP
OP

True. But maybe do a leak-down to confirm. Stuck valves I think could cause blow by too.
Before you replace.
Keep us posted.
I don't see how stuck valves could cause that , it would go out the exhaust or the intake (which I do think it pops back into the intake sometimes.)

But I think the only way you're getting that amount of blow by is w really bad bores/rings. Did you see that pic of the blow by? It's like jet propulsion. 😂 I drag race turbo cars and I've seen tat blow by before usually when I burn a piston. So I e done a lot of engine trans rear work on cars but one things I'm lost on w this machine is how you get that plastic off around the key O want to add a switch there for the grid heater. But I don't want to break that stupid plastic cover and I'm famous for breaking delicate stuff. Anyone got an idea how it comes off. ???

OP
OP

I would think about still doing a compression test,I think it would be good info. to have ,is it just one cylinder or more, if just one cylinder maybe a stuck ring and you could leave the other cylinders alone with any luck.
I don't disagree just need to get out to a harbor freight and buy a gauge w the 8mm adaptor that is for diesels mine of for gas engines. Just been busy w this project I'm working on . Was more concerned w getting this thing running so I could use it for the job. Thats priority number 1. . I wil get confessions eventually. Closest one is 45 min in the wrong direction. Working full bore right now.

If I could find a decent 2203 DI refer engine or a 1902 di it would already be swapped in the interest of time