743B restoration help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
S

Surveyor

From the picture showing the back of the chain case, it looks like the oil is coming from higher up.
You filled the chain case, did you fill it to the bottom of the threads on the front plug? essentially half full. I wonder if you over filled it and it's leaking from the inspection covers.
The Bobcat was sitting flat in the driveway. I opened the front plug for the first and put 9 gallons in it until it just started to run out. As I was pouring it in it started leaking out as shown in the pictures. I going to check the level tomorrow and lift the cab to see if there is a leak under there.

billrbg

The Bobcat was sitting flat in the driveway. I opened the front plug for the first and put 9 gallons in it until it just started to run out. As I was pouring it in it started leaking out as shown in the pictures. I going to check the level tomorrow and lift the cab to see if there is a leak under there.
I gotta say... when I got a leak in that miserable hose from the Control Valve return to the Port Block, it sure looked like the leak was from the chain-case. I kept wishin' and a hopin' that was the case until the leak got so bad it was obviously from the hose.

Tazza

Staff member
I gotta say... when I got a leak in that miserable hose from the Control Valve return to the Port Block, it sure looked like the leak was from the chain-case. I kept wishin' and a hopin' that was the case until the leak got so bad it was obviously from the hose.
Sadly, that's a common place for them to leak.... Even worse, it's a nightmare to replace..... I don't have any tips to get it done, others have bought spanners and cut them up to get in place. It can be done, but it will involve quite a bit of cursing.

jp8775

I am going to be shortly start up a 743b complete rebuild. It was in a fire and I have replaced virtually everything that is replaceable from hoses to wiring and even the dash boards. The hydraulics are empty. Do I need to prime it with hydraulic oil? I have a pump with a reservoir up to 3000 psi. Could plumb it in any where. Any one done this?