Wow...you wouldn't believe what happened...

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BPS

...but I will tell you anyway. I was doing a small excavation job in a low lying residential area. The weather forecast was calling for "scattered thunderstorms 30%". Anyway, you can see where this is going...That evening, what they described as a "supercell thunderstorm" brought approx. 6" of rain in 45 minutes. My machine ended up with water up to the s185 logo on the back of the machine.
What kind of damage and/or problems can I expect from this? Another contractor fleeing the weather was nice enough to take pics for me, so is it worth an insurance claim if I have probs? The machine ran fine the next day, but I have been told that it is not now. Obviously, I need more info, but what kind of potential problems may I be looking at?

Tazza

Staff member
ooh boy....
Where to start, all these are potential problems, nothing is written in stone.
Engine oil may have water in it, drop the oil and replace the filter.
Air filters probably are damaged.
Turbo if fitted could be damaged if the air intake was filled with water, but I'd suspect your engine would have hydraulically locked if this was the case.
Chain case probably has water in it, remove the front plug and see what colour the oil is.
Starter motor and alternator bearings could go bad.
Now, the BIG one..... Your electrics, water plus electricity = bad BAD. Salt water = death to wiring. Hopefully you aren't too bad though. It can cause the terminals to eat each other out if power is applied when wet. Its known as electrolysis, it will rapidly eat out wiring with power going through them from the battery. This is only a real problem at the connectors of the wiring harnesses. A full harness for your machine would easily run you 2k. Check your fuse box for damage, this is where the most damage seems to happen if it goes under water.
Insurance seems to be a pretty good idea to me....
Do let us know how you go though.

Coldheart

ooh boy....
Where to start, all these are potential problems, nothing is written in stone.
Engine oil may have water in it, drop the oil and replace the filter.
Air filters probably are damaged.
Turbo if fitted could be damaged if the air intake was filled with water, but I'd suspect your engine would have hydraulically locked if this was the case.
Chain case probably has water in it, remove the front plug and see what colour the oil is.
Starter motor and alternator bearings could go bad.
Now, the BIG one..... Your electrics, water plus electricity = bad BAD. Salt water = death to wiring. Hopefully you aren't too bad though. It can cause the terminals to eat each other out if power is applied when wet. Its known as electrolysis, it will rapidly eat out wiring with power going through them from the battery. This is only a real problem at the connectors of the wiring harnesses. A full harness for your machine would easily run you 2k. Check your fuse box for damage, this is where the most damage seems to happen if it goes under water.
Insurance seems to be a pretty good idea to me....
Do let us know how you go though.
Would love to see the pics.