Who can recondition a 610 axle for me?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

eyebrowski

I'm having trouble finding a used one and the seal surface on my current one has some damage. Thanks.

flyerdan

I see that you've read the most excellent thread by alchemysa about his axles, is it just the one, and how bad is the scoring?
Chances are that a speedi sleeve will fix it right up. Post up a picture of the worst area (or a link and I'll sort the code) and we'll be better able to determine the course.
Also, having a location listed helps when referring a business or if someone is close enough to help, doesn't have to be your street address, but Seattle metro, Western TN, etc. gives a ballpark.

alchemysa

On my axle repair thread the second comment by 6brnorma has good info about the 'speedy sleeves'. If you are not familiar with these, they are a thin stainless steel sleeve that slips over the axles without any machining required at all. Unless your axle is REALLY chewed out (much worse than mine) then this is a simple, relatively cheap way to go. I believe Bobcat sell them as a little kit complete with the oil seal.

6brnorma

On my axle repair thread the second comment by 6brnorma has good info about the 'speedy sleeves'. If you are not familiar with these, they are a thin stainless steel sleeve that slips over the axles without any machining required at all. Unless your axle is REALLY chewed out (much worse than mine) then this is a simple, relatively cheap way to go. I believe Bobcat sell them as a little kit complete with the oil seal.
alchemysa …. would you E-mail me …. [email protected]

OP
OP
E

eyebrowski

alchemysa …. would you E-mail me …. [email protected]
It's the rear axle and I'm in the Boston area. The damage isn't that bad so I'm hoping it can be repaired. I'm interested in the speedy sleeve solution. I've read the post on alchemy's thread but it's a little unclear to me exactly what I need for parts and what the work entails. Here is the axle:

text
text

6brnorma

It's the rear axle and I'm in the Boston area. The damage isn't that bad so I'm hoping it can be repaired. I'm interested in the speedy sleeve solution. I've read the post on alchemy's thread but it's a little unclear to me exactly what I need for parts and what the work entails. Here is the axle:
You can repair that. The kit you need is Pt #6563442 ...$47.50 last time I bought them. Shop around as price varies greatly…no one is likely to have it in stock and it will need to be ordered anyway. It will come with two seals, a sleeve and thread lock…..do not use the thread lock...it doesn't seal well…. use 8 minute permatex. Use some emery cloth to clean the surface (especially) that "lip" that has formed)…use some PVC (2 1/4" as I recall) to drive the sleeve on. Do not drive the sleeve all the way to the shoulder…..only until the lip of the sleeve is barely past the lip on the shaft, that will leave a couple thousandths that will be filled with permatex and will insure a surface for the inside seal. I've only done hundreds of these things…..I see you have your other axle prepped in the background. I would highly advise you to pull your outside hub and do all of this work on the bench rather then trying to install it in the hub while mounted on the machine. Order a couple of 'hub' gaskets when you order the sleeve kit/

6brnorma

You can repair that. The kit you need is Pt #6563442 ...$47.50 last time I bought them. Shop around as price varies greatly…no one is likely to have it in stock and it will need to be ordered anyway. It will come with two seals, a sleeve and thread lock…..do not use the thread lock...it doesn't seal well…. use 8 minute permatex. Use some emery cloth to clean the surface (especially) that "lip" that has formed)…use some PVC (2 1/4" as I recall) to drive the sleeve on. Do not drive the sleeve all the way to the shoulder…..only until the lip of the sleeve is barely past the lip on the shaft, that will leave a couple thousandths that will be filled with permatex and will insure a surface for the inside seal. I've only done hundreds of these things…..I see you have your other axle prepped in the background. I would highly advise you to pull your outside hub and do all of this work on the bench rather then trying to install it in the hub while mounted on the machine. Order a couple of 'hub' gaskets when you order the sleeve kit/
I can't tell in the photo….which way do you have the seals pointed on the other axle?

OP
OP
E

eyebrowski

I can't tell in the photo….which way do you have the seals pointed on the other axle?
Great info, thanks. I was actually able to find a kit in stock at Loader Parts Source that I ordered. I will assemble the hubs on the bench, that is a great call out I would have done them in the machine. I have the hub gaskets so all set there. I can't remember which way they are on to be honest, I copied the direction they came out in. Just so I can confirm they are in the correct orientation, which side should be facing out?

6brnorma

Great info, thanks. I was actually able to find a kit in stock at Loader Parts Source that I ordered. I will assemble the hubs on the bench, that is a great call out I would have done them in the machine. I have the hub gaskets so all set there. I can't remember which way they are on to be honest, I copied the direction they came out in. Just so I can confirm they are in the correct orientation, which side should be facing out?
Seal points towards the fluid…..so towards the machine. Good luck….any questions just ask. Have everything ready before you apply the permatex….limited time once you start. :)

6brnorma

Seal points towards the fluid…..so towards the machine. Good luck….any questions just ask. Have everything ready before you apply the permatex….limited time once you start. :)
Out of curiosity….what did you give for that kit? Several people have told me to give them a try.

flyerdan

Yep…not bad at all. The Bobcat dealer near me wants almost $100 for them…obviously I don't do business with them.
While you're waiting for the parts you can prep the axles good for the repair. Don't know what toys you have, but I would burnish them with a 2" scotchbrite roloc disc.
Also noticed the galling where the bearing sits, it looks like it was put on dry. It must have been chirping pretty good when they pressed it on. I'd give that area the fingernail test and burnish it as well after any sharp ridges have been removed (sharp edges chew up scotchbrite like crazy) and rub a very thin film of moly grease where the bearing slides on.

OP
OP
E

eyebrowski

While you're waiting for the parts you can prep the axles good for the repair. Don't know what toys you have, but I would burnish them with a 2" scotchbrite roloc disc.
Also noticed the galling where the bearing sits, it looks like it was put on dry. It must have been chirping pretty good when they pressed it on. I'd give that area the fingernail test and burnish it as well after any sharp ridges have been removed (sharp edges chew up scotchbrite like crazy) and rub a very thin film of moly grease where the bearing slides on.
The repair went well, I ended up sleeving both rear axles. Both are holding oil. The Loader Parts kits ended up being Bobcat OEM parts.