question on fuel capacity 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

marko13

20240512_164935.jpg
I understood that the 743 fuel tank was 13 gallons. this is my gas gauge about a 4 ft broom handle .
the black mark is where it ran out of gas and the white Mark is where it overflowed after about 5 plus gallons maybe six.
any words of wisdom?

foton

the fuel pick up tube are plastic and do break off in tank quite often . those tanks are narrow and tall so if you replace the fuel gauge sending unit while you are there make sure the sending unit arm is not rubbing the sides of the tank.

OP
OP
M

marko13

I did replace the fuel lines about a year ago. I'm not sure how to see inside the tank to tell if the sender is rubbing on the side. when it's full to overflowing they gauge says quarter tank. but the strange part is from full to empty is only about 6 gallons or so. also when so-called empty - meaning it quit - there's still I'd say a good 5 in or so in the bottom of the tank so maybe the fuel pick up line was too short. although 4- 5 inch in the bottom can't be 5 or 6 gallons to get up to the 13 gallon capacity allegedly LOL.

brdgbldr

I did replace the fuel lines about a year ago. I'm not sure how to see inside the tank to tell if the sender is rubbing on the side. when it's full to overflowing they gauge says quarter tank. but the strange part is from full to empty is only about 6 gallons or so. also when so-called empty - meaning it quit - there's still I'd say a good 5 in or so in the bottom of the tank so maybe the fuel pick up line was too short. although 4- 5 inch in the bottom can't be 5 or 6 gallons to get up to the 13 gallon capacity allegedly LOL.
The fuel pickup tube should be long enough to rest on the bottom of the tank. It should also have a screen/check valve on the end of it that also helps keep the end of the tube at the bottom of the tank. A fuel hose can curl up and float.

You could also have something clogging the fuel pickup line intermittently. Could be debris or diesel algae. I've found rags inside fuel tanks because someone used one as a fuel tank cap and it fell in.

The fuel sending units on these machines do go bad. A lot of the time the float doesn't float anymore or they are just worn out.

I would drain the tank and clean it. Remove and inspect the fuel pickup tube and the sending unit.

OP
OP
M

marko13

Thanks for the info.
Now I just have to get into maintenance mode ha ha not my strong suit

Latest posts