Which would you choose....Turbo-saw or 14" tree shear?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

eagledraw

I'm trying to decide between a turbo-saw and a 14" inch tree shear for my Deere 325. It appears the saw will be easier to cut at ground level, but the shear pivots and cuts vertically as well, making it possible to cut the tree in sections once on the ground. I'll mainly be using this to clear property lines with quite a few trees of all sizes. Here are the links to my two options.... http://www.turbo-saw.com/index.html http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/Timberline_Skid_Steer_Tree_Shear_p/tb-03.htm Does anyone have a different recommendation? Thanks, Eagle

owensge

I can't speak to the saw, but I do have a TB-03 Timberline that I purchased from SSS a while back... It's meets my needs in that I can fell a tree, then rotate the shear to cut the wood into sections. I can pick it up and carry it to the truck or the pile. As long as you keep it greased up, it'll do a good job for you.

skidsteer.ca

I can't speak to the saw, but I do have a TB-03 Timberline that I purchased from SSS a while back... It's meets my needs in that I can fell a tree, then rotate the shear to cut the wood into sections. I can pick it up and carry it to the truck or the pile. As long as you keep it greased up, it'll do a good job for you.
If I may, I can offer another shear option from our catologue. It's a shear with a manual rotate for the cutting verticle. It has a back guard to push the tree away from you when falling and would be @ $3800.00
Visit http://www.erskineattachments.com/, the page may be down at times today as it is being updated for this season.
Hot saws tend to cut faster then shears, but you have more maintenance keeping the saw sharp. So it all depends on the production level you want.
Thanks
[email protected]

Stephend

I have not used a saw but I do use a tree shear. I use the shear to clear cedars in pasture in Oklahoma. The shear allows you to clear ground that is not level by tilting the shear and with practice trees may be cut below ground level. My shear is for 10 inch trees but again with practice trees as large as 18 inches may be cut by snipping around the base then pushing over. The blades do wear but may be sharpened from time. I have had my shear for about 2 years and only sharpened twice. The real key is to keep every thing greased due to dirt.

I've used the Bobcat brushsaw and a 20" Tree terminator tree shear and the shear wins hands down. Shear strengths: mechanical simplicity, cheaper to own and operate, doesn't throw debris, built hell-for-stout, runs on standard flow, very little maintenance, might outlast the machine The shear is slower and doesn't do well on smaller, green stuff but other than that, its no contest. We broke the Brushsaw in 2 hours! I've used the FAE, TimberAxe and Tushogg mulchers and they have their uses but give me that old technology tree shear any day.

Latest posts