water filled tires on smaller bobcat?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ryantowry_81

Anyone ever looked at water filled or weighted tires on a smaller bobcat like my 530? I was thinking the weighted tires would give a little extra counterweight for lift and help with traction without disrupting the balance of the machine. I feel like even with an empty bucket all the way up my 530 feels unstable. anyone have any thoughts?

farmshop

As long as it doesn't freeze water is fine. In freezing temps chloride solution won't freeze and is heavier. Problem with any fluid fill is when you get a flat you have to deal with replacing fluid and chloride is corrosive.

OP
OP
R

ryantowry_81

As long as it doesn't freeze water is fine. In freezing temps chloride solution won't freeze and is heavier. Problem with any fluid fill is when you get a flat you have to deal with replacing fluid and chloride is corrosive.
Yeah chloride sounds tricky. I was thinking my tires are getting older and somewhat cracked I wonder if filling all 4 tires 95% with something like tire slime and then pressureizing with air would work. Keep them from leaking if they get worse and not as detrimental to the steel rim. I could always use a glycol solution. We use propylene glycol all the time at work in large quantities, like 3-4 thousand gallons at a time. I bet I could get a good deal on enough to fill my tires. I would have to check on chemical compatability still Do you think I should be concerned at all about additional rotating mass being hard on bearings and what not?

farmshop

Yeah chloride sounds tricky. I was thinking my tires are getting older and somewhat cracked I wonder if filling all 4 tires 95% with something like tire slime and then pressureizing with air would work. Keep them from leaking if they get worse and not as detrimental to the steel rim. I could always use a glycol solution. We use propylene glycol all the time at work in large quantities, like 3-4 thousand gallons at a time. I bet I could get a good deal on enough to fill my tires. I would have to check on chemical compatability still Do you think I should be concerned at all about additional rotating mass being hard on bearings and what not?
I know people that do it without problems. Slime would workas would antifreeze. In bigger tires I have used 1/2 tire sealant and 1/2 antifreeze. At 8-10# per gallon it wouldn't take long to add some weight. Foam fill is also a option granted more money

SkidRoe

I know people that do it without problems. Slime would workas would antifreeze. In bigger tires I have used 1/2 tire sealant and 1/2 antifreeze. At 8-10# per gallon it wouldn't take long to add some weight. Foam fill is also a option granted more money
If you go to a truck service shop, they would likely be happy to give you as much used 50/50 antifreeze as you want. I know I have seen tables some where that tell you how much weight you can add to a wheel by liquid filling it. On a skidsteer, it will be 10's of pounds, not 100's.
Cheers - SR

Latest posts