Towing a dead 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
This may be a good question for JustAwrench, but does anyone know what the gizmo that is inserted into the hydrostatic pump to allow a dead machine to me towed without damage? The manual says its a special tool, but from what i gather i can't see why you can't remove the high pressure poppets and it should be able to be moved (at low speed).
Any thoughts?

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
and what about a 863 G while we are at it?
ooh, just hijack my thread well ya :)
I know you can move them without doing anything, but i'm sure its not doing the machine any good....
Actually, the 863G... doesn't that have BICS? that may cause a few more problems as you will need to release the park brake solenoid....

pondfishr

ooh, just hijack my thread well ya :)
I know you can move them without doing anything, but i'm sure its not doing the machine any good....
Actually, the 863G... doesn't that have BICS? that may cause a few more problems as you will need to release the park brake solenoid....
Was there ever a defiante answer to towing the 743. Just curious I hope I don not ever need to but I am sure it will come up one day. Bill "bewing" new user id "pondfishr"

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Was there ever a defiante answer to towing the 743. Just curious I hope I don not ever need to but I am sure it will come up one day. Bill "bewing" new user id "pondfishr"
I never did get an answer on this one, but the people i have spoken to just say "don't worry mate, it will be ok" so all i have done is used brute force to drag or push it. When the hydrostatic system is full of fluid the motors will refuse to move (well they do but VERY slowly) this isn't a problem on dirt, as it is sort of slipery and won't wear a nice flat spot on your tyres. I did have a quick go at un-doing the caps on the side of the hydro pump just to have a peek at the poppets, i put a spanner on then and gave it a tug... i thought bugger this and left it alone.
Ohh, without oil, the machines like to run down hills!, i got an old 743 that had a fire, some hydraulic lines were cooked so there was no hydraulic oil in the system. The machine got delivered on a tilt tray and left on the hill with chocks under the wheels. I was using my other bobcat to try and close the bucket up so i could drag it up the hill then over the blocks she went and started to race down the hill!
My mum was watching and going "oooooohhhh" but i managed to catch it with no harm done, it only got 5 or so metres from me.

pondfishr

I never did get an answer on this one, but the people i have spoken to just say "don't worry mate, it will be ok" so all i have done is used brute force to drag or push it. When the hydrostatic system is full of fluid the motors will refuse to move (well they do but VERY slowly) this isn't a problem on dirt, as it is sort of slipery and won't wear a nice flat spot on your tyres. I did have a quick go at un-doing the caps on the side of the hydro pump just to have a peek at the poppets, i put a spanner on then and gave it a tug... i thought bugger this and left it alone.
Ohh, without oil, the machines like to run down hills!, i got an old 743 that had a fire, some hydraulic lines were cooked so there was no hydraulic oil in the system. The machine got delivered on a tilt tray and left on the hill with chocks under the wheels. I was using my other bobcat to try and close the bucket up so i could drag it up the hill then over the blocks she went and started to race down the hill!
My mum was watching and going "oooooohhhh" but i managed to catch it with no harm done, it only got 5 or so metres from me.
Thanks I will keep it in mind if it ever comes up. I am still learning my machine I have only owned it a few months. Bill

753g

Thanks I will keep it in mind if it ever comes up. I am still learning my machine I have only owned it a few months. Bill
the only thing that comes to mind for me would be to pull off the pressure hose going from the valve body to the hydro motor and hook it up to the return line, i'd then find a way to connect the inlet and outlet of the motor together possible a hydro hose from northern tool or pyrtek. it would allow the motor to turn with out trying to pull fluid throught the pump, or forcing it to bypass the valve body through the presure relief valve. good luck

753g

the only thing that comes to mind for me would be to pull off the pressure hose going from the valve body to the hydro motor and hook it up to the return line, i'd then find a way to connect the inlet and outlet of the motor together possible a hydro hose from northern tool or pyrtek. it would allow the motor to turn with out trying to pull fluid throught the pump, or forcing it to bypass the valve body through the presure relief valve. good luck
Just curious if any one got lucky at this yet?

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Just curious if any one got lucky at this yet?
Well you can buy the rite tools but i'm sure they are far too pricy.
I have moved mine around with an old 731, just grab hold with some chains and brute force seems to move it. It is hard going but it does get you there.
I think this may be a good one for goodtech, i'm sure he deals with this from time to time. I can't see why you can't just remove the 2 high pressure popets on the hydro pump which should allow oil to move without the engine running. I don't want to fillde too much with it, as i was told not to touch the high pressure side of the pump, well more to the point, i was told not to touch the pump full stop *looks sheepishly at goodtech*.
When i talk to the local 743 expert at clark next, i will ask what he does.

goodtech

Well you can buy the rite tools but i'm sure they are far too pricy.
I have moved mine around with an old 731, just grab hold with some chains and brute force seems to move it. It is hard going but it does get you there.
I think this may be a good one for goodtech, i'm sure he deals with this from time to time. I can't see why you can't just remove the 2 high pressure popets on the hydro pump which should allow oil to move without the engine running. I don't want to fillde too much with it, as i was told not to touch the high pressure side of the pump, well more to the point, i was told not to touch the pump full stop *looks sheepishly at goodtech*.
When i talk to the local 743 expert at clark next, i will ask what he does.
Well Tommorrow there guys I will look in the manual and see what you are properly suppose to do to tow your 743. When you start getting past the 743 it is alot more work to get them to move. All I do is grab a forklift and and pick them up underneath the motor and bewteen the drive wheels, but I know everyone doesn't have a forkilft setting around, or can get a forklift out to where it is broken. I know all are drivers do is winch them on to there trucks when they do not run. But if I have some time tommorrow I will look in what the tool is and go see what it looks like.

Tella

This may be a good question for JustAwrench, but does anyone know what the gizmo that is inserted into the hydrostatic pump to allow a dead machine to me towed without damage? The manual says its a special tool, but from what i gather i can't see why you can't remove the high pressure poppets and it should be able to be moved (at low speed).
Any thoughts?
I myself need to get my dead BC to the shop. My service manual for my 742B name a part called Towing Tool MEL 1179-2. I have searched and searched for this part on the BC sites and as of yet I can't find one. Maybe you will have better luck with that number. If you do please say so back at me.

tjacobson01

I found it is impossible to move a 74X without inserting the valve relief tools (Towing Tool). I have made the necessary tools out of two short lengths of copper pipe, I think probably they were 3/8" about 3 or 4 inches long, you can figure the length out by careful trial and error... be sure to deburr it and clean them up prior to inserting in the Vickers hydrostatic transmission. The hard part is getting the ports open, as on some 74X's they put a line just in front of where you have to unscrew them.

brdgbldr

I myself need to get my dead BC to the shop. My service manual for my 742B name a part called Towing Tool MEL 1179-2. I have searched and searched for this part on the BC sites and as of yet I can't find one. Maybe you will have better luck with that number. If you do please say so back at me.
That tool is listed as discontinued. Check out this website: https://otctoolsforbobcatdealers.service-solutions.com/Discontinued.aspx
It has a list of discontinued tools and also has a list of current Bobcat dealership tools. It looks like you will probably have to make one. If you type in the word "tow" into the search engine, a couple of tools come up for towing other models. I think it depends on what pump you have. You may want to figure out the make and model of your pump and try to find a rebuilder that may be able to help you figure out how to make a tool.

trog

Just a thought... If someone sits in the machine & holds the control levers in the direction you want to "tow", would that not open the valves & allow fluid to flow through the motors/pump? As I think about that more, maybe not going to work, depending on the pump design...

BTW, I tried a "page/text search" on the link above & didn't see any results for "TOW"...

brdgbldr

Just a thought... If someone sits in the machine & holds the control levers in the direction you want to "tow", would that not open the valves & allow fluid to flow through the motors/pump? As I think about that more, maybe not going to work, depending on the pump design...

BTW, I tried a "page/text search" on the link above & didn't see any results for "TOW"...
You have to change the search from "Tool Number" to "Tool Name" right above the place you enter the search. The two that come up when I put "Tow" in are :
MEL1220
MEL1197
The other problem with the "Tool Name" search is that not all of these "Tow" tools will come up because they are named something else like these discontinued towing tools.
MEL1179-1REL VLV RELEASE TOOL
MEL1179-2SET, RELIEF VALVE RELEASE TOOL
Also, the search does not seem to work for the discontinued tools.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Fabricator

I think the issue would be that you're still trying to work against the pump in that scenario, which is still connected to the engine so would resist.

tjc

Some have release valves, but I have been told that if it don't to take off or loosen a hydrologic hose then it's supposed to allow it to move. I have not tried this not sure that will work.

mrbb

I don't know if this is possible or would harm anything, but over the yrs I managed to TOW a few dead machines, like skid streets, by having a person sit in the machine and push on the hand controls in the direction it needs to go while being pulled
it seemed to allow thin gs to move easier as if reveling pressure, and allow them to roll more freely!
NOT having anyone inside machine to do so, made them almost impossible to drag , as if wheels locked up!, unless having a very heavy machine that could man handle them!
I am not talking dragging it FAR, maybe a 100 yards,
but of all the time I did so, never was any issue's on OLDER, foot,hand controlled machines, any how

just a thought and NOT claiming to be any expert here! just what I found that made moving some dead skids easier!
if in a pinch, if working alone, I was also able to bungee cord hand controls into position too!~

Latest posts