tilt cylinder project

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bcollida

I noticed today that the bucket tilt cylinder on my 853 will leak down after a few hours. Can I assume the issue is in the cylinder itself or do I need to trouble shoot the whole system first? I'd like to say, yes it's the cylinder, go and get a rebuild kit and go at it some weekend. However, I hate it when I make a wrong assumption, spend all weekend messing around with one thing only to find out that the part I thought was broken wasn't really the problem. What are your thoughts? thanks

Tazza

Staff member
There is a good chance its the cylinder(s) not sure if the 863 runs twin cylinders or not. The load checks in the modern machines aren't the same. The old ones had a series of O rings that went bad and allowed the cylinders to leak down. Start with the easy things first.

bobcat_ron

There is a good chance its the cylinder(s) not sure if the 863 runs twin cylinders or not. The load checks in the modern machines aren't the same. The old ones had a series of O rings that went bad and allowed the cylinders to leak down. Start with the easy things first.
I had a similar problem on my 1997 753, it was the packing around the pistion from the cylinder rod and the bloody bolt that held it in place, once everything was back in order, no problems.

OP
OP
B

bcollida

I had a similar problem on my 1997 753, it was the packing around the pistion from the cylinder rod and the bloody bolt that held it in place, once everything was back in order, no problems.
Help::: So I read the manual on how to take the tilt cylinder on and off. Looks pretty simple, until I read the nut holding it all together is torqued to 600ft lbs. How do you do that? I think my torque wrench only shows up to about 185ft lbs. And I don't think I can get anywhere close to 600. What's the trick?

Tazza

Staff member
Help::: So I read the manual on how to take the tilt cylinder on and off. Looks pretty simple, until I read the nut holding it all together is torqued to 600ft lbs. How do you do that? I think my torque wrench only shows up to about 185ft lbs. And I don't think I can get anywhere close to 600. What's the trick?
When you have it all off, new seals installed. Clean the threads with solvent and dry off, same with the nut. Put loctite on the threads and tighten it up as tight as you can. Even use a pipe. I have never had a problem doing it this way. Just use the loctite to ensure it doesn't come loose. I use a bar through the eye of the rod and get someone to stand on it or drive a car or bobcat on to it to hold it down. Then use a bar on the end of the wrench and haul on it.
Works for me, as i don't have a tension wrench.

mrfixitpaul

When you have it all off, new seals installed. Clean the threads with solvent and dry off, same with the nut. Put loctite on the threads and tighten it up as tight as you can. Even use a pipe. I have never had a problem doing it this way. Just use the loctite to ensure it doesn't come loose. I use a bar through the eye of the rod and get someone to stand on it or drive a car or bobcat on to it to hold it down. Then use a bar on the end of the wrench and haul on it.
Works for me, as i don't have a tension wrench.
I hold the rod from spinning by putting it on the bobtach and put the pin in place. I use a 4ft pipe on 3/4 drive breaker bar.

skidsteer.ca

I hold the rod from spinning by putting it on the bobtach and put the pin in place. I use a 4ft pipe on 3/4 drive breaker bar.
A shop press makes a great vice if you have access. 3/4 air wrench comes in handy. If you don't have the tools a quick trip to a shop will get it apart, a few minutes to install the seals and zip it back together.
I would pressure test the cylinder with compressed air to verify it is the piston seal first. Remove hoses and hook air to one side and look for bubbles coming from the other cylinder port.
Ken