763 Tilt Cylinder Repair - cap/plug hoses?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wakebylake

Hi there... I am going to remove my tilt cylinder and take it out for rebuild. Is best practice to cap/plug the hydraulic hoses? Can I connect them together?

Just want to be prepared with the necessary items if needed, and in the big picture learn from others as to not cause more problems for myself.

Thank you!

brdgbldr

Hi there... I am going to remove my tilt cylinder and take it out for rebuild. Is best practice to cap/plug the hydraulic hoses? Can I connect them together?

Just want to be prepared with the necessary items if needed, and in the big picture learn from others as to not cause more problems for myself.

Thank you!
I always use caps and plugs not only to keep the fluid in but also to keep dirt out.

Just remember that if you cap the cylinder hose connections or hoses, the piston in the cylinder will be locked in position until you loosen or remove the caps or plugs.

Most of the time it is not really possible to connect the hoses together. They normally have the same female ends and don't like being bent into that position. But if you can make it work it should not be a problem.

OP
OP
W

wakebylake

Thanks for the feedback. We weren't certain the hoses would have enough length to connect them together, but considered it.

The best solution is likely to get a couple pairs of caps and plugs and attach those as soon as we disconnect everything.

The bucket has been dropping for years and this service is overdue. The cylinder is now leaking badly as well so it is time and hopefully this ends the bucket dropping going forward.

57bobhoe

You don't have to remove the cylinder from the machine to repack it, and if you can get the aluminum gland (end cap) to unscrew it's easier to leave it attached to the machine. Just disconnect the rod from the bucket and prop the cylinder up on the bucket. These glands are notorious for being hard to remove. I would do this outdoors and try to catch as much fluid as you can but it's usually a mess. You can get after market seal kits and spend a lot less money than original. lots of utube vids on this repair.

Latest posts