Thinking of getting a skid steer... several questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Krizzle

Hello, I am thinking of getting a skid steer for personal home use. I know nothing about skid steers and would like some info or opinions on what I should look for and or if possibly I should go another route. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Uses would be snow removal on a 20 yard long gravel driveway approx 15ft wide. Grading driveway in summer months. Bringing gravel and dirt in and distributing around the property. Moving small to med boulders "not often" General digging and grading Ground grading for sidewalk installations etc. I presently have a Ford 8n with a front blade "no loader" and its not really cutting it. I have price goal of around 5k. I know that is low but I do not mind doing some maintenance and or repairs etc "mech inclined". I guess my questions would be... If you were in my situation which model would you look for? I would like something common so that I can add attachments in the future "back hoe, post hole digger'. I have found locally a 95 Mustang 940E in my price range. Again any input would be great. On a side note, I might also consider buying a better machine for around 10k and financing the balance. Machine would be used in southeast MI Thanks Krizzle

soutthpaw

Brand wise, Bobcat will always retain the value best esp on older machines. there is a glut of newer reposessed machines on the market at the moment but most will be out of your price range.... The G series bobcat's added a lot of electronics which can be out of the "mechanically inclined" range... Easily identified by the triangular head (work) lights.. G series came out at different years for different models.. I would say look for something in the 7 series as those machines are around 5K lbs in weight and 1300-1500lb working lift capacity. 8 series run in the 8K rangefor machine weight about 2000-2500lb working lift range .. also have about double the size engine HP and use at least twice as much gas.... I could go through a full tank a day on my 863G but the power was amazing compared to a 763... had one as a loaner when my 863 was in the shop... there is also about a 1 foot width difference in the machines and buckets 5 vsn 6 foot though various widths are available.... the 753 series was probably the most popular model. Currently I am fixing up a 753 I just bought to do basically the same things you want a skid steer for..... You really have to look over each machine before buying as there is so much variation in condition and price.... for $5000 you can prob get a 90's machine with 2500-5000 hrs on it... if you are buying local, you are going to want to watch for rust issues... there are smaller models 6-5 series and the 3 foot wide 3or 4 series which are pretty much reserved for confined space work.. they are so rear end heavy that there is almost no bucket weight to dig into hard dirt and a toothed bucket is almost mandatory... there is a lot on the site already about what to look for so read on through and ask if you have specific questions.... Don't really know much about Mustang, but one thing to keep in mind with buying used is access to spare parts... Bobcat as well as Cat, John Deere etc are all over the place... if you don't have a Mustang dealer within driving distance you might really want to hold out for a skidder that has a local dealer network

Tazza

Staff member
Brand wise, Bobcat will always retain the value best esp on older machines. there is a glut of newer reposessed machines on the market at the moment but most will be out of your price range.... The G series bobcat's added a lot of electronics which can be out of the "mechanically inclined" range... Easily identified by the triangular head (work) lights.. G series came out at different years for different models.. I would say look for something in the 7 series as those machines are around 5K lbs in weight and 1300-1500lb working lift capacity. 8 series run in the 8K rangefor machine weight about 2000-2500lb working lift range .. also have about double the size engine HP and use at least twice as much gas.... I could go through a full tank a day on my 863G but the power was amazing compared to a 763... had one as a loaner when my 863 was in the shop... there is also about a 1 foot width difference in the machines and buckets 5 vsn 6 foot though various widths are available.... the 753 series was probably the most popular model. Currently I am fixing up a 753 I just bought to do basically the same things you want a skid steer for..... You really have to look over each machine before buying as there is so much variation in condition and price.... for $5000 you can prob get a 90's machine with 2500-5000 hrs on it... if you are buying local, you are going to want to watch for rust issues... there are smaller models 6-5 series and the 3 foot wide 3or 4 series which are pretty much reserved for confined space work.. they are so rear end heavy that there is almost no bucket weight to dig into hard dirt and a toothed bucket is almost mandatory... there is a lot on the site already about what to look for so read on through and ask if you have specific questions.... Don't really know much about Mustang, but one thing to keep in mind with buying used is access to spare parts... Bobcat as well as Cat, John Deere etc are all over the place... if you don't have a Mustang dealer within driving distance you might really want to hold out for a skidder that has a local dealer network
If you want cheap, common and easy for anyone with some knowledge can work on, you can't go past a 743.
The 753 is a very nice machine too, it has more power but the same basic lifting capacities. As already mentioned by southpaw, stay away from G series machines unless you know what you are doing. There are a lot of inbeded electronics, they are nice features but when they don't work they can drive you mad.

Centurion

If you want cheap, common and easy for anyone with some knowledge can work on, you can't go past a 743.
The 753 is a very nice machine too, it has more power but the same basic lifting capacities. As already mentioned by southpaw, stay away from G series machines unless you know what you are doing. There are a lot of inbeded electronics, they are nice features but when they don't work they can drive you mad.
I was in the same market about a year ago, and I bought a 743, it does everything I need to do around the house from tree removal to snow. The only thing I did extra was get a set of steel tracks so that when mud or snow are in the area, I do not get stuck. The first time I got stuck, it took two weeks to get it out! That was the first week I had it, I have not been stuck since. I am sure you would be happy with a 743

soutthpaw

I was in the same market about a year ago, and I bought a 743, it does everything I need to do around the house from tree removal to snow. The only thing I did extra was get a set of steel tracks so that when mud or snow are in the area, I do not get stuck. The first time I got stuck, it took two weeks to get it out! That was the first week I had it, I have not been stuck since. I am sure you would be happy with a 743
I had a set of Loegering steel tracks on my 863, they are incredible in mud or snow. can be installed by 1 person without difficulty. takes about 30 mins once u get the hang of it. they have a lot of flotation and turn easy based on the track design.

Fabricator

I had a set of Loegering steel tracks on my 863, they are incredible in mud or snow. can be installed by 1 person without difficulty. takes about 30 mins once u get the hang of it. they have a lot of flotation and turn easy based on the track design.
Southpaw's and Tazza's comments about the G-series and the 743 to 753 split have brought up a nagging suspicion that I've had.

Eventually, I'd like to upgrade my old skidloader to a newer trackloader - something like a T180 or T190. Unfortunately, my personal use standing means that I'm never going to be able to justify a new or even fairly new loader.

I'm not afraid to dive into repair work, but the electronics are another issue. I have a dehumidifier sitting in the basement that was only two years old when it stopped working (with a one year warranty). Tore it apart and found the fault was the only printed circuit board in the whole unit - a board which is no longer available. One of these days, I'll find some spare time to wire up a simple humidistat and a couple relays and bypass the need for the printed circuit board. But I doubt that's going to be an option with a trackloader...

I suppose that popping out a PC board and popping a new one in won't be that bad. And sometimes the diagnostics are easier because you just plug the computer in and it tells you what the problems are. But will the PC boards be available in twenty years? Judging from the parts availability for my 30-year-old 630, I'd guess they likely will be. But are they going to be a grand a piece or some astronomical figure?

Tazza

Staff member
Southpaw's and Tazza's comments about the G-series and the 743 to 753 split have brought up a nagging suspicion that I've had.

Eventually, I'd like to upgrade my old skidloader to a newer trackloader - something like a T180 or T190. Unfortunately, my personal use standing means that I'm never going to be able to justify a new or even fairly new loader.

I'm not afraid to dive into repair work, but the electronics are another issue. I have a dehumidifier sitting in the basement that was only two years old when it stopped working (with a one year warranty). Tore it apart and found the fault was the only printed circuit board in the whole unit - a board which is no longer available. One of these days, I'll find some spare time to wire up a simple humidistat and a couple relays and bypass the need for the printed circuit board. But I doubt that's going to be an option with a trackloader...

I suppose that popping out a PC board and popping a new one in won't be that bad. And sometimes the diagnostics are easier because you just plug the computer in and it tells you what the problems are. But will the PC boards be available in twenty years? Judging from the parts availability for my 30-year-old 630, I'd guess they likely will be. But are they going to be a grand a piece or some astronomical figure?
With the way spares are, i'd say they would be available fort a long time, but you can never be sure on that.
As for price, the computers are about the 1k mark now from my local dealer. A deluxe panel was about $1,500!!! The hydraulics can be worked on easily enough, but the computers you have no choice but to get the dealer to do that.
I always wanted to stay with a non computer machine or limit the electronics, but the extras i did like, hopefully i won't regret it.

Iowa Dave

With a limit of $5K, I'd just rent a skid occasionally for the weekend--save up those jobs and get them all done for $150 rental rate once in a while. There is nothing on earth as cold as pushing snow with a Bobcat--keep your 8n for that. Chances are that a $5,000 skid will be a money pit. It will take a nearly forever to spend $5k on renting, and no $$ needed up-front, always have the latest machines, no downtime/repairs, can rent different sizes depending on your current project's needs, attachments always available and will always fit. Be careful, many $5,000 machines will not have the universal bucket hookup system that all attachments now need. A couple of attachments will cost more than the $5k you gave for the machine. Strictly from an economic standpoint, purchasing will not work in your best interest. Put the $5K in your retirement fund--you will someday be glad you did. Now, if you won't miss the $$ and want a handy toy, then go for it. $5,000 won't buy much more than headaches, though.

sunnyboy

With a limit of $5K, I'd just rent a skid occasionally for the weekend--save up those jobs and get them all done for $150 rental rate once in a while. There is nothing on earth as cold as pushing snow with a Bobcat--keep your 8n for that. Chances are that a $5,000 skid will be a money pit. It will take a nearly forever to spend $5k on renting, and no $$ needed up-front, always have the latest machines, no downtime/repairs, can rent different sizes depending on your current project's needs, attachments always available and will always fit. Be careful, many $5,000 machines will not have the universal bucket hookup system that all attachments now need. A couple of attachments will cost more than the $5k you gave for the machine. Strictly from an economic standpoint, purchasing will not work in your best interest. Put the $5K in your retirement fund--you will someday be glad you did. Now, if you won't miss the $$ and want a handy toy, then go for it. $5,000 won't buy much more than headaches, though.
You don't say where you are from, but I'm on the west coast of Canada, and just did what you are wanting to do.
My first skid-steer was a 1994 Bobcat 773C (8500 hrs), purchased used for $8K CDN in January of this year. It was worth more, but they thought it had a bad frame crack and sold it "as is". When we inspected it, it was obvious no crack, but 8 of 10 frame bolts (at the rear in the engine compartment) were missing, and the other two had no nuts!. Bought the unit and 10 new bolt/nuts and the unit has been great ever since.
BUT - it was too big for my uses. I have 1/2 acre and want to do the same jobs as you, and the 773 was just a bit too heavy and too wide for where I wanted to go. I ended up selling the 773 to a neighbor who uses it for site preparation in his business. He loves the size for what he's doing.
I then looked around and found a nice 1994 753C (2500 hrs) with backhoe, combi-bucket, toothed bucket, landscape rake and snowplow blade (home made) for $18K CDN. This machine is exactly what I wanted in the first place. I think I've already gotten my money's worth out of the backhoe, the combi-bucket and the toothed bucket. The slightly smaller width (753 is 60 in, the 773 was 68 in) plus the smaller weight (approx 2000 lbs lighter) make it the more ideal machine for me.
I'm currently trying to sell the landscape rake, and if I do then the deal will be even better for me as the rake is a pretty expensive accessory
Cheers,
-Richard

skidsteer.ca

You don't say where you are from, but I'm on the west coast of Canada, and just did what you are wanting to do.
My first skid-steer was a 1994 Bobcat 773C (8500 hrs), purchased used for $8K CDN in January of this year. It was worth more, but they thought it had a bad frame crack and sold it "as is". When we inspected it, it was obvious no crack, but 8 of 10 frame bolts (at the rear in the engine compartment) were missing, and the other two had no nuts!. Bought the unit and 10 new bolt/nuts and the unit has been great ever since.
BUT - it was too big for my uses. I have 1/2 acre and want to do the same jobs as you, and the 773 was just a bit too heavy and too wide for where I wanted to go. I ended up selling the 773 to a neighbor who uses it for site preparation in his business. He loves the size for what he's doing.
I then looked around and found a nice 1994 753C (2500 hrs) with backhoe, combi-bucket, toothed bucket, landscape rake and snowplow blade (home made) for $18K CDN. This machine is exactly what I wanted in the first place. I think I've already gotten my money's worth out of the backhoe, the combi-bucket and the toothed bucket. The slightly smaller width (753 is 60 in, the 773 was 68 in) plus the smaller weight (approx 2000 lbs lighter) make it the more ideal machine for me.
I'm currently trying to sell the landscape rake, and if I do then the deal will be even better for me as the rake is a pretty expensive accessory
Cheers,
-Richard
Richard send me some info on the rake please.
Ken at skidsteer.ca at = @ of course

Centurion

Richard send me some info on the rake please.
Ken at skidsteer.ca at = @ of course
I disagree that a 5K machine is nothing but headaches. I paid 5400 for mine and have not had to do any major repairs at all. The one big repair I had, I caused myself. There are good 5K machines around. Mine is a 1988 743

Tazza

Staff member
I disagree that a 5K machine is nothing but headaches. I paid 5400 for mine and have not had to do any major repairs at all. The one big repair I had, I caused myself. There are good 5K machines around. Mine is a 1988 743
My first machine was 5K, it had its issues, but i managed to fix them. I got more than 5k of use from it then sold it for 2x what i paid (less the little things i did to fix it).

sledesigns

I bought a $3500 dead reliable M600 a couple years ago. It was taken care of and I do the same. Its as simple as anything made when I was made. (the 70's) 30hp, 54" wide, 10gpm, mechanical clutches. Its electronics consist of an alternator, starter, battery & ignition switch. Only wish it had the Bobtach option, some did, I'll find one for it sometime. If I rented, right now I would have paid about the same $3500 I did for the machine. But, this way I have a machine still worth $$ instead of rental receipts.

sledesigns

I bought a $3500 dead reliable M600 a couple years ago. It was taken care of and I do the same. Its as simple as anything made when I was made. (the 70's) 30hp, 54" wide, 10gpm, mechanical clutches. Its electronics consist of an alternator, starter, battery & ignition switch. Only wish it had the Bobtach option, some did, I'll find one for it sometime. If I rented, right now I would have paid about the same $3500 I did for the machine. But, this way I have a machine still worth $$ instead of rental receipts.
Curious if anyone has done what I'd been thinking about in the department of: "Don't particularly need lots of electronics on an industrial machine" Subheading:" I drive and fix my own machine"... Buy a T-300 for $13k. Buy the maintenace book on it. Strip & sell all the hydro-electricals, electronics, BOSS, etc. Recoup say $3k. Hook normal control valves for the hand & foot controls, standard Bobcat style. May have to make foot pedals if it was a full hand control machine. Put standard streetrod wiring in it, ignition, lights, alt, gauges. Possible issue, if the track drive motors have neccesary electronics for them to function...solved with...another set of standard hyd motors. Put streetrod heat / defrost & AC in it for a 'Gold Package' for less than $1k. May not be possible though if the Diesel is laden with electronics. New set of tracks & an under carriage freshening up and you have a new T300 with 743 reliability for approx $15k & parts availability for the next 30+ years.

Fabricator

I too bought a $5K machine - a 630. I've gotten at least that much out of it and could probably sell it for at least what I paid for it. My current issues with getting the engine running are the worst I've had to deal with in twelve years and the biggest problem there has been the time spent waiting for ordered parts to come in. If I had more experience working on it I could have saved myself some hassle and done it all at once instead of piecemeal.

But I wouldn't want this machine if I was a contractor and depended on it daily. For me it is mainly "gentleman farmer" (gentleman contractor?) duties several times a month. If I were in business with it I'd buy new or nearly new.

OP
OP
K

Krizzle

I too bought a $5K machine - a 630. I've gotten at least that much out of it and could probably sell it for at least what I paid for it. My current issues with getting the engine running are the worst I've had to deal with in twelve years and the biggest problem there has been the time spent waiting for ordered parts to come in. If I had more experience working on it I could have saved myself some hassle and done it all at once instead of piecemeal.

But I wouldn't want this machine if I was a contractor and depended on it daily. For me it is mainly "gentleman farmer" (gentleman contractor?) duties several times a month. If I were in business with it I'd buy new or nearly new.
Great, thanks for all the info and opinions... I appreciate it. Took a look at a Mustang 940 today, worked with it for approx 30minutes "wow strong machines". Does not have the Bobcat attachment... would that sway some of you away? Can a Bobcat attachment be mounted to it for a resonalble amount? Mustang comes with 2 buckets for around 5K. Still not sure if this is the route I want to go? Thanks again. K

Iowa Dave

You guys are probably right for occasional homeowner use--maybe $5K would work. I am in the minority so that means I was wrong. Fabricator probably hit it on the head when he said good enough for gentleman farmer but better not depend on it. I tend to think of my own use of every day and a schedule to keep. Still, you have never been COLD until you push snow with a ROPS (non heated cab) skid. The main thing would be, are you mechanically inclined and willing to work on it yourself?--then MAYBE 5K would work out. Most likely still not have bobtach, and if you are too busy or not able to work on it yourself, then I still think $5K won't buy enough. Of course, ANYTHING is good enough if all it does is sit in the shed or you can do without it until it is fixed. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Tazza

Staff member
You guys are probably right for occasional homeowner use--maybe $5K would work. I am in the minority so that means I was wrong. Fabricator probably hit it on the head when he said good enough for gentleman farmer but better not depend on it. I tend to think of my own use of every day and a schedule to keep. Still, you have never been COLD until you push snow with a ROPS (non heated cab) skid. The main thing would be, are you mechanically inclined and willing to work on it yourself?--then MAYBE 5K would work out. Most likely still not have bobtach, and if you are too busy or not able to work on it yourself, then I still think $5K won't buy enough. Of course, ANYTHING is good enough if all it does is sit in the shed or you can do without it until it is fixed. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Good points, if you needed to depend on it for work, i'd never touch a machine for 5k.
I sold my 5k 731 a few years back to upgrade to a 743. My next "to keep" machine is a 753G with 1,000 hours, they sell for 20 odd thousand with at least twice those hours, so when its all painted and tightened up, would be worth 25'ish. That is a machine that i could depend on.

Fabricator

Good points, if you needed to depend on it for work, i'd never touch a machine for 5k.
I sold my 5k 731 a few years back to upgrade to a 743. My next "to keep" machine is a 753G with 1,000 hours, they sell for 20 odd thousand with at least twice those hours, so when its all painted and tightened up, would be worth 25'ish. That is a machine that i could depend on.
Iowa Dave brought up a good point I failed to mention - the bit about being mechanically inclined. If you have to pay someone else to work on it you're looking at a money pit.

I will say that I've cleared snow for sixteen hours straight in an unheated cab. Dressing warmly and a steady supply of warm tea and food kept me going.

I'd consider my machine a good, reliable one. Just that I know it is going to need some care and attention and wouldn't schedule it for jobs without some planned downtime here and there to look after it. Believe me, it doesn't sit around gathering dust! But it also isn't out there working eight to ten hours every day either.

Krizzle: Personally, I'd pass on the Mustang for two reasons - lack of Bobtach and questions on parts availability. I had to upgrade the hydraulic connectors on mine, but with a standard Bobtach I can rent nearly any attachment I need from several local rental yards. Also, my 630 is thirty years old and I can walk into the dealer and order parts that have typically been shipped in under a week. I have no idea whether Mustang stands behind their equipment like that.