T190 head replacement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Philosaw

I'm about to tear into my t190 to replace the head and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or tips. While it looks pretty doable in place, I'm a little worried about getting at the exhaust manifold bolts any whatever other cmfm's there may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a better 4 the than me!

Tazza

Staff member
I have never done a head in place, i always had the engine out to do it.
Hopefully the manifold bolts will come out without too much effort, at least if one was to break, you are putting on a new head anyway.

7LBSSMALLIE

I have never done a head in place, i always had the engine out to do it.
Hopefully the manifold bolts will come out without too much effort, at least if one was to break, you are putting on a new head anyway.
yes head can be done in place. turbo lines a little trickky lose the cotter pin clamp its not needed. and lines will never line up if left in place.but if you be doining it on youre own time. my advice would be to pull package. remove fuel tank get the whole thing clean. mud rock debris etc. mind you for an experinceid tech this is about 24 to 36 hr job but once its done its done this also includes full maint of undercarrige leaks hoses that are rubbed etc, what i guuess im getting at is if you are goining to square it away SQUARE IT AWAY. yea you be fixing to put some money into her. so overall condition of unit is paramount. you dont want to throw 2 grand at eng only to find you need a 1000 $ bobtach or a 3500$ lift arm. and that beining said. why does it need a head. are bores pistons and rods serviceable.? DEALER TIME DUDE> get an acurate apraisel of work thats needs done. and compare to value of unit. im gonna break my own rules here. but check out the T550 special its like twenty grand off i think but dont know that you could probally put a thousand hrs on it and get youre money back. and im sorry for the sales pitch that aint me. as a matter of fact bring me youre t190, ill square it away. thats what i do. . but that would an injustice. 3 grand head work . drive motor pukes ?9usually due to lack of maint) tracks sprockets etc. just sayining man weigh the options.

7LBSSMALLIE

yes head can be done in place. turbo lines a little trickky lose the cotter pin clamp its not needed. and lines will never line up if left in place.but if you be doining it on youre own time. my advice would be to pull package. remove fuel tank get the whole thing clean. mud rock debris etc. mind you for an experinceid tech this is about 24 to 36 hr job but once its done its done this also includes full maint of undercarrige leaks hoses that are rubbed etc, what i guuess im getting at is if you are goining to square it away SQUARE IT AWAY. yea you be fixing to put some money into her. so overall condition of unit is paramount. you dont want to throw 2 grand at eng only to find you need a 1000 $ bobtach or a 3500$ lift arm. and that beining said. why does it need a head. are bores pistons and rods serviceable.? DEALER TIME DUDE> get an acurate apraisel of work thats needs done. and compare to value of unit. im gonna break my own rules here. but check out the T550 special its like twenty grand off i think but dont know that you could probally put a thousand hrs on it and get youre money back. and im sorry for the sales pitch that aint me. as a matter of fact bring me youre t190, ill square it away. thats what i do. . but that would an injustice. 3 grand head work . drive motor pukes ?9usually due to lack of maint) tracks sprockets etc. just sayining man weigh the options.
and it needs to be said > there is a lotta equipment out the on ebay etc. where you wont find a lotta used equipment is in dealearship inventory.. the reason beining as dealership it has to be squared away you bought it it breaks we eat repair. therefore if we dont think its worth fixining, it goes away hopefully far far away. when they resurface it kinda sucks. for both partys it usually goes down like this. hey i got a great deal on this whats it gonna take to fix it. typically more than its worth. now i wouldnt be on this website. if if wasnt for regular guys just tryining to make a go at it. and im here to help if i can. ive been around the block as a tech. backround started on steam cleaner at JD. moved to track press WHOPPPPEE.. got doinining pm.s went to case cetirfied master tech 7 yrs. short stint on toyatta forklifts 5 yrs of asolid elect backround. closinig in on twenty at bobcat. as a tech yea i should not be postining this. little persnoal bourboun involved so forgigve me. let the chips fallwhere they may. yea im a dick at times. too bad so sad i dont pull punches. sorry for the rant but i thought it might give a little more perspective to 7lbs smallie which was a nice fish by the way

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

and it needs to be said > there is a lotta equipment out the on ebay etc. where you wont find a lotta used equipment is in dealearship inventory.. the reason beining as dealership it has to be squared away you bought it it breaks we eat repair. therefore if we dont think its worth fixining, it goes away hopefully far far away. when they resurface it kinda sucks. for both partys it usually goes down like this. hey i got a great deal on this whats it gonna take to fix it. typically more than its worth. now i wouldnt be on this website. if if wasnt for regular guys just tryining to make a go at it. and im here to help if i can. ive been around the block as a tech. backround started on steam cleaner at JD. moved to track press WHOPPPPEE.. got doinining pm.s went to case cetirfied master tech 7 yrs. short stint on toyatta forklifts 5 yrs of asolid elect backround. closinig in on twenty at bobcat. as a tech yea i should not be postining this. little persnoal bourboun involved so forgigve me. let the chips fallwhere they may. yea im a dick at times. too bad so sad i dont pull punches. sorry for the rant but i thought it might give a little more perspective to 7lbs smallie which was a nice fish by the way
So I put on the new Kubota head and it went very smooth. When I started the engine it ran very rough as expected, so I bled the lines at the injectors and still found it ran very rough. I had noticed that the fuel hand pump was leaking, so I guessed that maybe it was causing air to enter. I bought a new pump and put on a new fuel filter and tried bleading again. I am able to get good pressure and engine draw down when I blead cylinders 1.3, & 4, but number 2 doesn't release hardly any fuel. I pulled the 2 line off and blew it out just for yuks, but nothing improved. When an unrelated problem pops up during a repair, it always is the worst because we can never be sure if it's related or not. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on here? The machine overheated prior to bringing it into the shop, but ran fine.

Tazza

Staff member
So I put on the new Kubota head and it went very smooth. When I started the engine it ran very rough as expected, so I bled the lines at the injectors and still found it ran very rough. I had noticed that the fuel hand pump was leaking, so I guessed that maybe it was causing air to enter. I bought a new pump and put on a new fuel filter and tried bleading again. I am able to get good pressure and engine draw down when I blead cylinders 1.3, & 4, but number 2 doesn't release hardly any fuel. I pulled the 2 line off and blew it out just for yuks, but nothing improved. When an unrelated problem pops up during a repair, it always is the worst because we can never be sure if it's related or not. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on here? The machine overheated prior to bringing it into the shop, but ran fine.
If it was running fine before the head went, the pump and injectors should be fine.....
So you aren't getting any fuel welling up around the fitting on #2 injector when you crack the line and start it? you should get a pretty decent puddle when the other 3 cylinders are running.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

If it was running fine before the head went, the pump and injectors should be fine.....
So you aren't getting any fuel welling up around the fitting on #2 injector when you crack the line and start it? you should get a pretty decent puddle when the other 3 cylinders are running.
When I cracked the nut on the other 3 cylinders, it sprayed with a decent force which is normal to me. With the number 2 it would barely puddle and upon retightening, it wouldn't even out. I did this a couple times and then removed the nut and line from the injector while running and a little dribble came out, but no spray.

Tazza

Staff member
When I cracked the nut on the other 3 cylinders, it sprayed with a decent force which is normal to me. With the number 2 it would barely puddle and upon retightening, it wouldn't even out. I did this a couple times and then removed the nut and line from the injector while running and a little dribble came out, but no spray.
Fuel shouldn't spray from the delivery nozzles, it sort of wells up. Each injection cycle is only like a drop of fuel, but either way, you should see fuel coming out.
Even with air in the injector lines, it should clear out within 10-20 seconds of running, so sadly something seems to be wrong with the pump.... You can't get a break can you?
You did mention you replaced the lift pump, what happens if you give the primer bulb a squeeze when it's running? Sort of like giving the lift pump a bit more pressure to the injector pump.
Anything is worth a try i guess.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

Fuel shouldn't spray from the delivery nozzles, it sort of wells up. Each injection cycle is only like a drop of fuel, but either way, you should see fuel coming out.
Even with air in the injector lines, it should clear out within 10-20 seconds of running, so sadly something seems to be wrong with the pump.... You can't get a break can you?
You did mention you replaced the lift pump, what happens if you give the primer bulb a squeeze when it's running? Sort of like giving the lift pump a bit more pressure to the injector pump.
Anything is worth a try i guess.
Thanks for your suggestion tazza. I did try the bulb trick with no luck. I went back over the bleeding and each injector gave a significant spray and the engine drew down whereas number 2 let out a very miserable dribble with no draw down. Fortunately we have a diesel injection company near by to bring the pump to. Let's see what kinda trouble I can get into with this one ;)

nepondguy

Thanks for your suggestion tazza. I did try the bulb trick with no luck. I went back over the bleeding and each injector gave a significant spray and the engine drew down whereas number 2 let out a very miserable dribble with no draw down. Fortunately we have a diesel injection company near by to bring the pump to. Let's see what kinda trouble I can get into with this one ;)
Hi Philosaw! I am about to tackle the same project and thought I would see if you learned any tips or tricks after replacing the head. Can I ask where you got your new head? I know mine has a blown gasket and am just assuming that the whole head will need to be replaced. Any thoughts or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks