Snow removal Bobcat 753 and 463 snow bucket size and sourcing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ducaticorse

Hi All, For the first time this year, I will be incorporating my 753 and 463 for use as side walk plows, snow loaders and stackers. I am trying to find "snow buckets for both machines. The 463 is running standard floats, not the tire/wheel package that makes it a thin 36". So I need a bucket that is just wide enough to clear the tires. As far as the 753 goes, I am taking suggestions. What size bucket can I go without overloading the cap, and not having to be super careful with lifts. BONUS QUESTION How do you all feel about using chains? Necessary or not? Tires on both machines are new. I am located in Boston MA, and I don't mind traveling a bit to save on freight or to grab a great deal. Thank you all for reading. Any and all help is appreciated.

Bobcatdan

The 753, a 68" or maybe a 74" would be as big as I would go. The 463 you maybe limited to what bobcat offers. The 463, you probably notice has a smaller bobtach then a standard machine and I have no idea if the aftermarket really supports them. I would say 44" would be as wide as I would go. I'm not a huge fan of the 463, but have played around with a couple with snowblowers and have to say that is a pretty badass combo.

OP
OP
D

Ducaticorse

The 753, a 68" or maybe a 74" would be as big as I would go. The 463 you maybe limited to what bobcat offers. The 463, you probably notice has a smaller bobtach then a standard machine and I have no idea if the aftermarket really supports them. I would say 44" would be as wide as I would go. I'm not a huge fan of the 463, but have played around with a couple with snowblowers and have to say that is a pretty badass combo.
Ive had two 453's before i had the 463. It's basically the same machine except for more power. I do tree work in city and suburban locations so the 4 series machines are amazing in regard to hauling brush and logs/rounds out of tight back yards, and loading trucks feeding chipper etc. Yes the bobtach is smaller, but there are several places that fab blank buckets and then all I need to do is weld on a mini plate. I was thinking a 40 inch bucket would be good,but I have to install the floats, then measure the new width to make sure the bucket will clear the tires. It would be great to pick up a small blower for the 463. Reviews on the two combined are really spectacular, wish I could find one reasonable priced, as I am not about to spend upwards of three grand on a new one from bobcat just yet. i have a large 72 inch HD bucket for the 753 that is really too big when moving dirt and stone etc. Really easy to overload. I guess I can just not fill it so much and use it for snnow too.

Bobcatdan

Ive had two 453's before i had the 463. It's basically the same machine except for more power. I do tree work in city and suburban locations so the 4 series machines are amazing in regard to hauling brush and logs/rounds out of tight back yards, and loading trucks feeding chipper etc. Yes the bobtach is smaller, but there are several places that fab blank buckets and then all I need to do is weld on a mini plate. I was thinking a 40 inch bucket would be good,but I have to install the floats, then measure the new width to make sure the bucket will clear the tires. It would be great to pick up a small blower for the 463. Reviews on the two combined are really spectacular, wish I could find one reasonable priced, as I am not about to spend upwards of three grand on a new one from bobcat just yet. i have a large 72 inch HD bucket for the 753 that is really too big when moving dirt and stone etc. Really easy to overload. I guess I can just not fill it so much and use it for snnow too.
In regurads to tire chains. When it's icy they are nice. I wouldn't run them for normal plowing as they can mark blacktop. The new trend has been skinny truck snow tires. I thought normal skidsteer tires worked fine, but the guys say ther truck tires are way better. A couple guys are put big semi tires on and claiming 20 mph with a 2 speed machine.

reaperman

On my 753 I use a 84" bucket that was once on a farm tractor. Its big and the back is also pretty high. So there are slots cut into the back of the bucket to help see the cutting edge. For normal snow its not too big, but dumping wet snow will pick up the back of the machine. So to avoid this, I lift and dump at the same time, not having to actually pick up the entire load of snow before I begin to dump. But a wide bucket is nice for cleaning up large areas.

shepherd

On my 753 I use a 84" bucket that was once on a farm tractor. Its big and the back is also pretty high. So there are slots cut into the back of the bucket to help see the cutting edge. For normal snow its not too big, but dumping wet snow will pick up the back of the machine. So to avoid this, I lift and dump at the same time, not having to actually pick up the entire load of snow before I begin to dump. But a wide bucket is nice for cleaning up large areas.
I have a 6' wide mulch bucket on my 773. Full of wet snow it is a bit too heavy to lift, but it can build a huge pile to push around much like a pusher. The edge cuts ice better than a plow, It pushes a taller pile than a plow, and piles more faster than a smaller bucket. Reduced visibility and not being able to swing it like a plow are the drawbacks. It's what I use the most when it snows. As for tires, a skinny tire has the same effect as adding weight: more pounds per square inch of contact area. It helps in some areas, but not always. Sometimes having a wider tire increases your chance of 'finding' traction when things are iced up, when technically a skinny tire should have more traction. One thing that is of no doubt, dedicated snow tread tires work. much better than standard chevron tread tires.

OP
OP
D

Ducaticorse

I have a 6' wide mulch bucket on my 773. Full of wet snow it is a bit too heavy to lift, but it can build a huge pile to push around much like a pusher. The edge cuts ice better than a plow, It pushes a taller pile than a plow, and piles more faster than a smaller bucket. Reduced visibility and not being able to swing it like a plow are the drawbacks. It's what I use the most when it snows. As for tires, a skinny tire has the same effect as adding weight: more pounds per square inch of contact area. It helps in some areas, but not always. Sometimes having a wider tire increases your chance of 'finding' traction when things are iced up, when technically a skinny tire should have more traction. One thing that is of no doubt, dedicated snow tread tires work. much better than standard chevron tread tires.
Thank you all. I really appreciate the input! Since the 463 will be my primary means of clearing pathways and sidewalks, I may grab a set of the thin width tires and wheels to make it clear 36". It will improve clearance and apparently traction too....

lesgawlik

Thank you all. I really appreciate the input! Since the 463 will be my primary means of clearing pathways and sidewalks, I may grab a set of the thin width tires and wheels to make it clear 36". It will improve clearance and apparently traction too....
I have read that grooving or siping tires greatly increases traction in snow. There are kits available which aren't very expensive. They are essentially hot knives which allow you to put patterns in the "lands" of the tires. Tractor operators (and CTL operators) always want the lowest possible ground pressure unless they are on snow or ice. Tractor operators routinely groove their tires to increase traction.

I have read that grooving or siping tires greatly increases traction in snow. There are kits available which aren't very expensive. They are essentially hot knives which allow you to put patterns in the "lands" of the tires. Tractor operators (and CTL operators) always want the lowest possible ground pressure unless they are on snow or ice. Tractor operators routinely groove their tires to increase traction.
Where do you run your tire chains on the front or back? My unit is a s650 and I have a 8 ft blade and a 74 inch snow blower. This new to me so input is a big help. Soory I'm a little off the topic. SSG