snow chains question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

djphelan01

I plan on using my bobcat to plow my paved driveway which is a little hilly. I figured that I would need a set of snow chains due to the hill. Do you guys who use chains put them on all four wheels or can I get away with two wheels? Do you recommend a certain type of chain for pavement or a certain place to buy them from?

sparky

It does,nt really matter the type you use. It,s persenal peferance.
I put one set on the back tires; I put alot weight on the blade , so the front end is up
so to keep traction, the back is better.

Sparky

skidsteer.ca

It does,nt really matter the type you use. It,s persenal peferance.
I put one set on the back tires; I put alot weight on the blade , so the front end is up
so to keep traction, the back is better.

Sparky
I would stay away from V bar or studded chains. Just the standard twisted link ladder chains on the rear offers 2 times or more traction then tires alone. The other option woud be to get some 16" rims and install pickup snow tires.
Ken

OP
OP
D

djphelan01

I would stay away from V bar or studded chains. Just the standard twisted link ladder chains on the rear offers 2 times or more traction then tires alone. The other option woud be to get some 16" rims and install pickup snow tires.
Ken
How do you lift the back of the skid steer up to put the chains on? Do you use a regular Hyd. jack rated for the weight? I have a bobcat S185 and according to the specs the rear is 23" and I'm having trouble finding a jack that will lift it high enough. It weighs about 6000lbs and I wasn't sure if putting a block of wood on the jack would work, but I'm new at this so that is why I'm asking questions. I apologize if they seem stupid or have been asked before.

How do you lift the back of the skid steer up to put the chains on? Do you use a regular Hyd. jack rated for the weight? I have a bobcat S185 and according to the specs the rear is 23" and I'm having trouble finding a jack that will lift it high enough. It weighs about 6000lbs and I wasn't sure if putting a block of wood on the jack would work, but I'm new at this so that is why I'm asking questions. I apologize if they seem stupid or have been asked before.
I have never put chains on, but from what ive heard you can lay the chain on the ground and back on to it then take a bunjee cord and wrap it over the top over the tire. And finally back up again and that should lift the chain with the tire

Santana200

When I put tire chains on my 743 I went to a semi truck salvage yard in town by me and bought a pair of old drive tire chains for $50 and was able to cut them in half and make a set of 4 for all the tires. They had the twisted links and did not tear up my pavement as long as I was cautious. I was able to push a 8ft blade with no trouble. They also worked good in really muddy conditions. Hope this helps.

Kermode

When I put tire chains on my 743 I went to a semi truck salvage yard in town by me and bought a pair of old drive tire chains for $50 and was able to cut them in half and make a set of 4 for all the tires. They had the twisted links and did not tear up my pavement as long as I was cautious. I was able to push a 8ft blade with no trouble. They also worked good in really muddy conditions. Hope this helps.
djphelan01: You don't lift the Bobcat. Drape the chains over the rear tires and drive ahead until you are parked on top of the chains. Then do them up. Nothing to it.

bobbie-g

djphelan01: You don't lift the Bobcat. Drape the chains over the rear tires and drive ahead until you are parked on top of the chains. Then do them up. Nothing to it.
Being the lazy type, I only put a pair on the front of my 751. But I only plow snow on dirt/gravel, and I only put in about 20 hrs a year plowing. I tried chains on all 4 tires the first time, and couldn't tell the difference with only two tires. Lots easier to put a block under the blade, then jam the blade down to lift the front two wheels off the ground to chain up. Yes, I always figure a line will break and the Bobcat will slam down. I don't ever let it think it can get a piece of me. :) ---RC

jkwilson

Be aware that chains will turn your Bobcat into a pavement grinder. Even the twisted link chains aren't easy on asphalt, especially if you keep it sealed and like the nice, black surface.

Bman73

I have been using a set of V-bar chains on my 853 for 2 years now. I only have them on the back tires as I don't havea blade but a GP bucket with a cutting blade on it and spend most of my time plowing with the front tires off the ground anyways. Improvement in traction is like night and day, especially on ice with a full bucket. You do however need to be cautious when turning or you will rip the sidelinks apart if you turn in place.

case1840bc

I put chains on all 4 corners on my Case 1840. for me it seems to work better than one end or the other.
Hi, what size of tires do you have on? My 1994 Case 1840 has Trellborg 12-16.5 tires and there is only 1" clearance between the rear tire and the diesel tank (or hydraulic oil tank on the other side). Chain people are telling me I need at least 2" space for a double duty twist chain. Is there a way to move the rear hubs more towards the center of the skid steer and move the center sprockets and front hubs forward to keep tension on the chains?)

Ironwood

Hi, what size of tires do you have on? My 1994 Case 1840 has Trellborg 12-16.5 tires and there is only 1" clearance between the rear tire and the diesel tank (or hydraulic oil tank on the other side). Chain people are telling me I need at least 2" space for a double duty twist chain. Is there a way to move the rear hubs more towards the center of the skid steer and move the center sprockets and front hubs forward to keep tension on the chains?)
You can also weld the connection of the cross chain to the side chain to ensure it doesnt pull apart as easily. I have done this on several high torque machines with snow chains. Ironwood