secure bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobcatbrian

on current large frame s-series bobcats on the lower front of the lift arms there is a welded on loop, about 4 inches by 8 inches, one on each side. i think these are designed as hose guides. i am wondering if they could be used to secure the machine to a trailer. this would be a lot more convenient than crawling under the machine for the center loop. thank you

tdeal823

To my knowledge they are for hoses and not strong enough for transport chains. The boom does have 2 spots for hooks. on on each side. It is an indent in the boom just for a 5/16 or 3/8 chain hook. at least my 773T and S185 have this.

OP
OP
B

bobcatbrian

To my knowledge they are for hoses and not strong enough for transport chains. The boom does have 2 spots for hooks. on on each side. It is an indent in the boom just for a 5/16 or 3/8 chain hook. at least my 773T and S185 have this.
Like i said on the large frame skids like my s-250, they dont have the hook holes on the arms. I was wondering if anybody used the weld on loops. Its a real pain to crawl under the loader with bulky attachments on.

skidsteer.ca

Like i said on the large frame skids like my s-250, they dont have the hook holes on the arms. I was wondering if anybody used the weld on loops. Its a real pain to crawl under the loader with bulky attachments on.
You would have to check with a dealer, I know the one on the side of the s 175 have a tie down sticker indicating that point is a tie down point.
Otherwise check with the state dot to see if you fab something there if it will meet their standards. My NH has nothing in this area either, but I hook the chains onto the side of the steel tracks at the front. You offten see this done on large steel track machines, but I can't say I have cleared it with the mto here either.
Ken

tdeal823

You would have to check with a dealer, I know the one on the side of the s 175 have a tie down sticker indicating that point is a tie down point.
Otherwise check with the state dot to see if you fab something there if it will meet their standards. My NH has nothing in this area either, but I hook the chains onto the side of the steel tracks at the front. You offten see this done on large steel track machines, but I can't say I have cleared it with the mto here either.
Ken
I checked my manual. it calls out the center lower front point. both points on the boom arms. and the rear hook locations on the chassis check your manual. it shoud say.

TriHonu

I checked my manual. it calls out the center lower front point. both points on the boom arms. and the rear hook locations on the chassis check your manual. it shoud say.
If you are located in the US, most states have adopted the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Cargo Securement Rules.
Skid steer loaders under 10,000 lbs are secured the same as automobiles:

Securement of automobiles, light trucks, and vans.
  1. Automobiles, light trucks, and vans must be restrained at both the front and rear to prevent lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical movement using a minimum of two tiedowns.
  2. Tiedowns that are designed to be affixed to the structure of the automobile, light truck, or van must use the mounting points on those vehicles that have been specifically designed for that purpose.
You are also required to secure any articulating parts and accessory equipment (loader arms, backhoe arms, booms).
MnDOT requires a minimum of three tie-downs on skid steers: rear of loader, front of loader, and boom/bucket. I still see many skid steers on trailers that do not meet minimum securement standards. MnDOT Commercial Vehicles Division conducted a training seminar at my Bobcat dealer. They covered all the rules and requirements pertaining to trailering skid steers and small excavators. It was very informative.
In summary it is all about safety. Many drivers think nothing about loading a $20,000+ piece of equipment on a $2500 trailer and don't want to spend the $100 on chains and binders or spend the time to secure it properly.
It would really suck to loose the loader off the trailer; worse would be to also total the truck; much worse would be to hurt someone else. Your court and medical costs will most likely be much higher than the total costs of your equipment.
If you want the exact requirements for your state, contact your Dept of Transportation. Fines for improperly secured cargo can be big bucks.

jmatt20

If you are located in the US, most states have adopted the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Cargo Securement Rules.
Skid steer loaders under 10,000 lbs are secured the same as automobiles:

Securement of automobiles, light trucks, and vans.

Automobiles, light trucks, and vans must be restrained at both the front and rear to prevent lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical movement using a minimum of two tiedowns.
Tiedowns that are designed to be affixed to the structure of the automobile, light truck, or van must use the mounting points on those vehicles that have been specifically designed for that purpose.

You are also required to secure any articulating parts and accessory equipment (loader arms, backhoe arms, booms).
MnDOT requires a minimum of three tie-downs on skid steers: rear of loader, front of loader, and boom/bucket. I still see many skid steers on trailers that do not meet minimum securement standards. MnDOT Commercial Vehicles Division conducted a training seminar at my Bobcat dealer. They covered all the rules and requirements pertaining to trailering skid steers and small excavators. It was very informative.
In summary it is all about safety. Many drivers think nothing about loading a $20,000+ piece of equipment on a $2500 trailer and don't want to spend the $100 on chains and binders or spend the time to secure it properly.
It would really suck to loose the loader off the trailer; worse would be to also total the truck; much worse would be to hurt someone else. Your court and medical costs will most likely be much higher than the total costs of your equipment.
If you want the exact requirements for your state, contact your Dept of Transportation. Fines for improperly secured cargo can be big bucks.
california requires four (4) separate tie downs. a chain from one side to the other with a binder counts as one tie down even though it hits two spots on the trailer and two spots on the equipment .four chains with binders or four straps with ratchets. the boom needs to be tied if it can articulate in a manner so that your load exceeds the legal limits ie. 14ft high or 102 inches wide ..best to tie it so you don't have to argue with the chp about weather or not it could reach 14 ft above the pavement. the law isn't clear about if the boom tie down can count as one of your four tie downs or if it needs to be in addition to the other four. A little noticed item about the ca law is that if you have a fifth wheel coupling device between your trailer and the towing vehicle these rules don't apply to you ...dot rules will suffice . when the law was written up it was slid into an existing set of rules that has as a final section the exemption for fifth wheel trailers. most truckers and a lot of chp officers don't notice this .i got the four tie down ticket (it's a moving violation) and was talking to a friend who has a low boy about it and i mentioned to him that it didn't apply to him. about two weeks later he tells me he got pulled over by a commercial enforcement officer in a little town and the cop whips out his ticket book and starts to write him up for not having enough tie downs . my friend says i want to see that section ,the cop gets a little snotty and pulls his book and reads him the section my friend says let me see that ..he runs his finger down the page to the last section and says hmmm it look like i'm exempt ..not a happy cop ..