S185, S205, S250, S300

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sierradmax

I currently have an older 763 with close to 4,000 hours. Open cab, standard controls, auxiliary hydraulics. I recently stopped into my local bobcat dealer to price a new machine (S-570) then quickly walked out the door in sticker shock. My thoughts are now on a low hour, used machine with a cab, heat, & A/C. Couple questions. 1. Out of the 4 machines, was the S185 available with turbo being an option? 2. Any reason why the S250 & S300 are similar in price as the smaller framed machines? Are they less desirable? 3. Should I be concerned on a sub-900 hour, 2003 or older machine for hose dry-rot, etc. also, with the S250 or S300, What GVW trailer & what size truck do you use to two with?

Tazza

Staff member
I thought the S185 did come with a turbo option, why do you want a turbo? even NA, they have good power.
It could be that the S250 and S300 are not as popular, lowering the price. They are big machines that can do more work, but use more fuel and heavier to move around.

farmshop

I thought the S185 did come with a turbo option, why do you want a turbo? even NA, they have good power.
It could be that the S250 and S300 are not as popular, lowering the price. They are big machines that can do more work, but use more fuel and heavier to move around.
S185 is turbocharged. The smaller machines are usually more desirable as they fit the roles most people want to use them for. The bigger machines are nice if you can fit them into the work space. The bigger machines have bigger more expensive tires. 30 more horsepower is always nice. A 300 is going to need a 12000# rated trailer.

reaperman

I wouldn't be concerned with a older, low hour machine. There are a lot of older machines still going strong and will continue to do so. In fact there are quite a few 743's from the mid 80's still doing what they do best. I'm not sure about a dry rot issue on hydro hoses, but any hose can spring a leak. Overall a replacement hydro hose isn't too expensive. But getting access to a blown hose can be a pain on any machine. The G and S series machines are time tested performers. Most all have a Kubota engine, which is no longer the case in the new bobcats. My bobcat is a G series 753 with under 900 hrs and runs like new. I picked it up a few years ago with 600 hrs and without a worry.

Hotrod1830

I wouldn't be concerned with a older, low hour machine. There are a lot of older machines still going strong and will continue to do so. In fact there are quite a few 743's from the mid 80's still doing what they do best. I'm not sure about a dry rot issue on hydro hoses, but any hose can spring a leak. Overall a replacement hydro hose isn't too expensive. But getting access to a blown hose can be a pain on any machine. The G and S series machines are time tested performers. Most all have a Kubota engine, which is no longer the case in the new bobcats. My bobcat is a G series 753 with under 900 hrs and runs like new. I picked it up a few years ago with 600 hrs and without a worry.
I wouldnt worry too much about hose rot on a machine of that age. Rubber is most effected by sunlight. And since the hoses are shielded from sunlight, they dont often dry rot. Give them enough time and they will start to crack, but that takes alot of time and heat. Tires Are greatly effected by dry rot, but are a wear item, and get replaced before it is a problem.
Buying a used machine, I would be looking at service records before I worry about hose rot.
The S185's are far more popular than the S250 and s300, hence the lower than expected price on the 250's and 300's. It all comes down to what you need. Why spend the fuel on a S300 if a 185 will do the job you need? And vise versa, why buy a S185 when you need the lift capacity and power of a S250 or bigger?
Powerstroke,Duramax or Cummins.

Pichemain

I wouldnt worry too much about hose rot on a machine of that age. Rubber is most effected by sunlight. And since the hoses are shielded from sunlight, they dont often dry rot. Give them enough time and they will start to crack, but that takes alot of time and heat. Tires Are greatly effected by dry rot, but are a wear item, and get replaced before it is a problem.
Buying a used machine, I would be looking at service records before I worry about hose rot.
The S185's are far more popular than the S250 and s300, hence the lower than expected price on the 250's and 300's. It all comes down to what you need. Why spend the fuel on a S300 if a 185 will do the job you need? And vise versa, why buy a S185 when you need the lift capacity and power of a S250 or bigger?
Powerstroke,Duramax or Cummins.
Last March I bought a 2011 S205, it had 3300hrs BUT I got a pretty decent price from the Bobcat dealer I dealt with. My machine is for personal use and of course the odd non-profit job. Because I was buying this machine for me (and wife) and wasn't able to see the machine in person I asked lots of questions... heck I had a list in front of me of thing I wanted to know about the machine. I am very happy with the 205 its the right size for me... it trailers nice, lots of power. It also has 2 speed and high flow options. The dealer said to me that since this was a personal machine and I would be doing the repairs myself not to get one with "advance" or "SJS" controls, the simple hand and foot are good enough and less complicated to work on. At the end of the day you have to figure out what you want and what you need.... check the NET for prices, know how much you want to spend, and if its not the one there is a good reason why its not. OH! and check out www.simplyskidsteers.com you can compare model specifications.

Tazza

Staff member
Last March I bought a 2011 S205, it had 3300hrs BUT I got a pretty decent price from the Bobcat dealer I dealt with. My machine is for personal use and of course the odd non-profit job. Because I was buying this machine for me (and wife) and wasn't able to see the machine in person I asked lots of questions... heck I had a list in front of me of thing I wanted to know about the machine. I am very happy with the 205 its the right size for me... it trailers nice, lots of power. It also has 2 speed and high flow options. The dealer said to me that since this was a personal machine and I would be doing the repairs myself not to get one with "advance" or "SJS" controls, the simple hand and foot are good enough and less complicated to work on. At the end of the day you have to figure out what you want and what you need.... check the NET for prices, know how much you want to spend, and if its not the one there is a good reason why its not. OH! and check out www.simplyskidsteers.com you can compare model specifications.
Your local dealer did right by you, suggesting foot controls and not all the fancy computer hand controls as you were going to be doing the service/repair work. Most dealers won't do that as they know they will probably get the job of repairing it if it was to break down.

Latest posts