S150 questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fitzy

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and yes I have some questions, hopefully you can answer! I live in the south west of Western Australia and have 2 Bobcats, a 753 and a recently purchased 2009 S150 with 340hrs. This machine was imported from the USA. It's in good condition, however I have a couple of concerns. Firstly the machine is joystick controlled, no foot pedals like the ol' 753. Trying to operate the machine seems very difficult as the joysticks are very sensitive to the slightest movement, even if the speed is reduced, making the movement very jerky, unlike the 753 which has a more slow/smooth take-up. So question 1: Can the controls/joysticks be de-sensitised to get a more gradual/smooth operation? Secondly, I've noticed a few items missing from the machine, minor items but need to be replaced. Also need parts for S150 and 753. Parts here in Australia, in particular Western Australia are very expensive to say the least. Question2: Can Bobcat parts (genuine or generic) be sourced from USA and exported to Australia and if so can you give me some contacts? Regards, Fitzy

Tazza

Staff member
As for the hand controls, i can't answer that, hopefully another member can.
There is no reason you can't bring parts in, you just need to find a supplier that is willing to do it for you. I have a friend in the USA that used to get me parts, but sadly his new boss felt that his services were no longer required (after many years of excellent service). Prices from America are about half that of what we pay in .au depending on the part. Filters and other fast moving parts are well priced, other parts, not so much.
What bits are you chasing? pump and motor parts don't have to be bought from the dealer.

OP
OP
F

Fitzy

There is no reason you can't bring parts in, you just need to find a supplier that is willing to do it for you. I have a friend in the USA that used to get me parts, but sadly his new boss felt that his services were no longer required (after many years of excellent service). Prices from America are about half that of what we pay in .au depending on the part. Filters and other fast moving parts are well priced, other parts, not so much.
What bits are you chasing? pump and motor parts don't have to be bought from the dealer.
For the S150, mostly small size items e.g. sets of pins and bushes, hyd pipe clamps, rubber seal, headlight surround and some other mainly small items. I've got a parts manual, so quoting item no, part no, description not a problem. I've got 2 grease points, one on rear lift arms and one on bobtack that refuse to take any grease. After removing the pin on the lift arm I found that the pin is badly scored/pitted on the section between the contact with the bush and towards the end of the pin. The wear area between pin and bush seems ok. There's no grease hole in the wear bush. Also there's only one wear bush in the lift arm, yet the parts manual show two bushes per lift arm side.It may be well worth replacing the lift arm pins and bushes before things go wrong, even if the machine's only done 350hrs. As for how they got in this state could be lack of maintenance maybe. The bobtack pin won't budge.

skidsteer.ca

Contact the folks at www.barronsupply.net
vjnelson at j-ots.com Usually Val Nelson or sometimes the mechanics takes parts order and the mechanics will come talk to you if your buying parts.
They have been great to work with for me. Ask them if they can ship to AU
And get some grease in there pronto, nothing worse then a machine killed because it was never greased
Skidsteer.ca

Tazza

Staff member
Contact the folks at www.barronsupply.net
vjnelson at j-ots.com Usually Val Nelson or sometimes the mechanics takes parts order and the mechanics will come talk to you if your buying parts.
They have been great to work with for me. Ask them if they can ship to AU
And get some grease in there pronto, nothing worse then a machine killed because it was never greased
Skidsteer.ca
Lift arm pins can be made cheaply if you have some gear. Get some 1 1/4" CG 4140 steel. Cut it to length and drill a hole for the bolt to locate it. I think its about $20 per metre, possibly cheaper than one pin from the dealer...
The hydraulic line clamps, talk to a hydraulic shop, these are common items and should be pretty cheap. Just quote what the OD of the hoses/pipes you want the clamps for. My dad brings them home from work from time to time, very handy.
The light holders are dealer only though.

OP
OP
F

Fitzy

Lift arm pins can be made cheaply if you have some gear. Get some 1 1/4" CG 4140 steel. Cut it to length and drill a hole for the bolt to locate it. I think its about $20 per metre, possibly cheaper than one pin from the dealer...
The hydraulic line clamps, talk to a hydraulic shop, these are common items and should be pretty cheap. Just quote what the OD of the hoses/pipes you want the clamps for. My dad brings them home from work from time to time, very handy.
The light holders are dealer only though.
I'll source that CG 4140 material. I have equipment to turn up the pins. Tyres - the S150 came with lug tyres filled with foam (?) Like driving on solid rock. They weigh a ton. The 753 has larger outside diameter 12" wide sand tyres. What a difference. I've changed the wheels over between machines. I will get another set of sand tyres for the 753. Can these lug tyres be removed from the rims if they are filled with foam?

Tazza

Staff member
I'll source that CG 4140 material. I have equipment to turn up the pins. Tyres - the S150 came with lug tyres filled with foam (?) Like driving on solid rock. They weigh a ton. The 753 has larger outside diameter 12" wide sand tyres. What a difference. I've changed the wheels over between machines. I will get another set of sand tyres for the 753. Can these lug tyres be removed from the rims if they are filled with foam?
As you have a lathe, that makes it easier too.
I know people have removed them before, its just not easy. I have heard some throwing them in a fire and burn it off, but i'm sure its not the best idea.
Others have used a 'sawzall' which i have never heard of, but assume its like a sabre saw?
I'm not sure how i'd do it, but i'd lean towards maybe a circular saw to cut around the tread, below the wires (if fitted) and peel the tread off, work my way down slicing it off bit by bit. Its not going to be a fun job, i'm telling you that now!

skidsteer.ca

If the casings are still good on your foam filled tires try to trade them to a shop that does re treading (if they need it) or sell them to someone that needs flat proof tires. The foam filling is worth more then a new tire here so they a generally re treaded at least once. I was told the firmness of the tire depends on how much pressure they pump them up with during the filling process. They a definetly heavy though. I have one set I for jobs where flats are likely.
The only way to get them off the wheel is to cut them apart with a sawsall or ???? It may be more labour then the rim is worth.
Skidsteer.ca

OP
OP
F

Fitzy

If the casings are still good on your foam filled tires try to trade them to a shop that does re treading (if they need it) or sell them to someone that needs flat proof tires. The foam filling is worth more then a new tire here so they a generally re treaded at least once. I was told the firmness of the tire depends on how much pressure they pump them up with during the filling process. They a definetly heavy though. I have one set I for jobs where flats are likely.
The only way to get them off the wheel is to cut them apart with a sawsall or ???? It may be more labour then the rim is worth.
Skidsteer.ca
Sounds too hard! Better to sell/trade-in if need be.