Rusted Bob-Tach Pins?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

J-Long

I honestly don't think the bucket has ever been removed from this thing.. The pins are rusted terribly. I tried heating the buching tops with a torch. I beat on them from underneath..
It just won't move. It's stuck so bad the previous owner broke the release handle, apparently trying to lift them.
Any suggestions on how to remove them?
Cut the bottoms with a torch, get the bucket off and put it in a press?
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Fishfiles

I have had to cut the wedges out the Bobtack before ,it is pretty hard to cut into a bore with a torch , but if you cut into the bore and melt the wedge away from both sides , it will let go , you probally won't have to cut all of it , cut some and try to knock it out , after you get a couple of inches from both sides it should drive out , use something beefy to drive it with that is just a tad smaller than the bore of the wedge , don't use a 3/8" rod

Tazza

Staff member
I have had to cut the wedges out the Bobtack before ,it is pretty hard to cut into a bore with a torch , but if you cut into the bore and melt the wedge away from both sides , it will let go , you probally won't have to cut all of it , cut some and try to knock it out , after you get a couple of inches from both sides it should drive out , use something beefy to drive it with that is just a tad smaller than the bore of the wedge , don't use a 3/8" rod
I have had to cut the bucket off before. Not too hard to do.
If you have access to a shop press, i think that would get them out. You will need a bit of power, but hopefully it will get them out.
I had to cut mine out, i made new bushings as i nuked the old ones.

OP
OP
J-Long

J-Long

I have had to cut the bucket off before. Not too hard to do.
If you have access to a shop press, i think that would get them out. You will need a bit of power, but hopefully it will get them out.
I had to cut mine out, i made new bushings as i nuked the old ones.
I have a press with a bed big enough to get the bob-tach itself into.. I just hate to do it.
I tried pumping grease into the fitting on the side too. lol, that was a non starter, it's rusted so bad.
I wonder if I could get a hose screwed in there? Fill it with light oil or ATF and put 8 or 10 lbs of shop air on it and let it sit... See if it will force some lubrication into the pin bore?

skidsteer.ca

I have a press with a bed big enough to get the bob-tach itself into.. I just hate to do it.
I tried pumping grease into the fitting on the side too. lol, that was a non starter, it's rusted so bad.
I wonder if I could get a hose screwed in there? Fill it with light oil or ATF and put 8 or 10 lbs of shop air on it and let it sit... See if it will force some lubrication into the pin bore?
Might as well conect it to your aux hydraulics and put 2500 si to it with a hyd hose.
Might help. Sadly some get rusted beyond help and need to be cut out.
Have you tried driving them up with a sledge?
More then a couple whacks will mushroom the pin though.
Getting it into a press is a better option. Never ceases to amaze me that people can't manage to do a basic maintenace item say once in 5 years.
Skidsteer.ca

Cyclone Ranger

Might as well conect it to your aux hydraulics and put 2500 si to it with a hyd hose.
Might help. Sadly some get rusted beyond help and need to be cut out.
Have you tried driving them up with a sledge?
More then a couple whacks will mushroom the pin though.
Getting it into a press is a better option. Never ceases to amaze me that people can't manage to do a basic maintenace item say once in 5 years.
Skidsteer.ca
My pins were stuck between two plastic guide bushings. Once I was able to apply heat to the guides and melt them the pins were freed. The guides are along the left and right sides of the pins near the bottom of the bob-tach.

lesgawlik

My pins were stuck between two plastic guide bushings. Once I was able to apply heat to the guides and melt them the pins were freed. The guides are along the left and right sides of the pins near the bottom of the bob-tach.
I wish I could help. I bought a rental machine and my pins were stuck, too. The only reason I know that the Bobtach was used was because the handles had been pounded on both edges. I still have to pound the pins from the bottom of the bucket. A number of posts have talked about grease fittings on the sides, and I don't see any grease fittings. The only thing I can add is that if you do get them free, I have found that Fluid Film seems to work well to keep the pins moving in their bores. This is a product that has almost a cult following, and I bought a sample. I haven't used it much, but it does seem to do well in this application. I also try to grind the scale off of the front plate so the the Bobtach doesn't bind the attachment. That makes locking and unlocking the pins a little easier.

skidsteer.ca

I wish I could help. I bought a rental machine and my pins were stuck, too. The only reason I know that the Bobtach was used was because the handles had been pounded on both edges. I still have to pound the pins from the bottom of the bucket. A number of posts have talked about grease fittings on the sides, and I don't see any grease fittings. The only thing I can add is that if you do get them free, I have found that Fluid Film seems to work well to keep the pins moving in their bores. This is a product that has almost a cult following, and I bought a sample. I haven't used it much, but it does seem to do well in this application. I also try to grind the scale off of the front plate so the the Bobtach doesn't bind the attachment. That makes locking and unlocking the pins a little easier.
The old square locking pins had plastic guides instead of grease, if it has round pind there should be a grease nipple coming in from the side of the pin boss.
Skidsteer.ca

lesgawlik

The old square locking pins had plastic guides instead of grease, if it has round pind there should be a grease nipple coming in from the side of the pin boss.
Skidsteer.ca
Skidsteer.ca, I'll check that out again. There's so much mud an concrete on the Bobtach I'm not certain what's there. When the weather gets warmer, I think it's time for a session with the pressure washer and a hammer and chisel. I have the round pins, so there should be a grease nipple. Wouldn't be surprised if both of them had been sheared off long ago.

Latest posts